• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Monday, May 25, 2020

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I'd be curious how she knows Camdin, and if this connects her to Luke. Would not be surprised if she met him gaming.

Camdin might not have been very discreet about using magic in public, or he thought he was alone, but Jay happened to round a corner just in time to see him start to transform.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'd put my money on "granddaughter" with her mom being Sybil. So is she spying for Arthur, or going rogue?

I dunno, I'd suspect Arthur would be more inclined to ask Jay to assist Tedd, or maybe because Jay is also a wizard, have her learn from Kevin alongside Ashley. I'd find it hard to believe that Arthur wouldn't know anyone in his family has any sort of magic potential. So either somehow she learned that Tedd was a wizard from someone else, which might be incorrect information anyway because Tedd isn't a standard wizard like she is, or she knows what Seers are somehow and she learned about Tedd just within the past 2 weeks (since Tedd didn't even know what they were prior to Pandora's visit).

Panel 6 has her decide against showing Tedd the smoke spell, understandable because doing so would reveal that she was the one that harassed Grace, but it also implies that Jay was planning on showing Tedd what spells she has learned so far, for what purpose? Maybe if Jay somehow found out about the possibility of Magic changing (and like Susan, hasn't found out that it isn't happening anymore), and learned of Tedd being able to carry spells over to the next system, Jay might be thinking of using Tedd as a backup for her spells? so that in the event of a system change, she could just go back to Tedd and have her make wands.

Just now, hkmaly said:
Just now, Stature said:

5 pizzas but no drinks? Yeah, Diane, that's a-plenty. Wonder if those were cut into squares... plus what would be the classes of the other 8?

I'm not sure it's everything. Also, maybe they already have the drinks? I would assume you order the pizza to have it fresh and warm, but you can just have cola in fridge.

Maybe the first set of pizzas were already taken downstairs, or where ever they plan on eating. Either that or Diane's look is related to the fact that Grace is holding 5 large pizzas with one hand.

If it is just the 5 pizzas, that's less food than what they had at Grace's birthday (which was 5 pizzas plus wings and possibly garlic bread).

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I think I saw that movie. Matthew Broderick, right?

I was a teenage hacker at the same time, so, yeah, sorta.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If this Jay is Arthur's granddaughter...

And considering Arthur's preference for keeping secrets...

This would fit too neatly into my Unguided-Gifted-Youth-Herded-Into-Cult fear

She comes from a magical background and has NEVER been told anything useful about it

What she has accidentally seen or caused herself only made her scared and confused

Other other hand she may have been the reason AJA tried to make Kevin, the talking wand.  I know he said agents, but it's possible that he was covering for the fact that he had a wizard daughter/granddaughter that needed training.

The only mortals we know that knew about magical changes until the not-change happened were Sarah, Arthur, and Assistant Director Liefeld, so it's doubtful that Jay would have known. Jay doesn't know Sarah. Did she pick it up from Arthur or Liefeld?

I think Jay looks kind of buff for a woman, so... maybe Liefeld?

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

The only mortals we know that knew about magical changes until the not-change happened were Sarah, Arthur, and Assistant Director Liefeld, so it's doubtful that Jay would have known. Jay doesn't know Sarah. Did she pick it up from Arthur or Liefeld?

I think Jay looks kind of buff for a woman, so... maybe Liefeld?

While possible, my money is still on her being related in some way, either daughter or granddaughter of AJA.  For two reasons, she says "her" when talking about Tedd, which would be something she picked up from AJA and, of course the J thing.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

...the J thing.

Well, "Jay" does rhyme with "Rey"...

"Jay" sounds more like a nickname to me, but it could also be one of those surnames like "Madison" that somehow became a girl's given name. And while there hasn't been a President Jay as of yet, there has been a John Jay, first Supreme Court Chief Justice and an extremely worthy choice for an ancestor of patriotic American Arthur J. Arthur.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I was a teenage hacker at the same time, so, yeah, sorta.

Do tell. 1976 was a bit early for that. What kind of hardware? Did you have family at a university?

52 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Do tell. 1976 was a bit early for that. What kind of hardware? Did you have family at a university?

My highschool had a computer science class that had a time share agreement with the local university.  PDP-11 time share.  Got a job as a jr. sysadmin about 3 months into the class.

"Jay" sounds more like a nickname to me, but it could also be one of those surnames like "Madison" that somehow became a girl's given name.

I had an army buddy named J   Not Jay, but just the letter J.  

21 minutes ago, mlooney said:

My highschool had a computer science class that had a time share agreement with the local university.  PDP-11 time share.  Got a job as a jr. sysadmin about 3 months into the class.

Nice machine to learn on. Clean architecture and well documented.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Other other hand she may have been the reason AJA tried to make Kevin, the talking wand.  I know he said agents, but it's possible that he was covering for the fact that he had a wizard daughter/granddaughter that needed training.

I suspect the wand was created long before Jay's birth. Probably even before Arthur became the head of the paranormal division the first time around.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I suspect the wand was created long before Jay's birth. Probably even before Arthur became the head of the paranormal division the first time around.

Could be, but we really don't have a good time line on it.  I suspect you are right,  unless Jay was showing powers while in elementary school.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

While possible, my money is still on her being related in some way, either daughter or granddaughter of AJA.  For two reasons, she says "her" when talking about Tedd, which would be something she picked up from AJA and, of course the J thing.

If Jay picked up on "she" for Tedd from AJA (Arthur J. Arthur), she would have to have picked it up after the not-change because Arthur was surprised by Tedd being a woman when they met the Will of Magic. If that's true, her knowledge of the Tedd goes back no more than fifteen days.

Further back, Jay might have known Matthew Cohen from his days working at a pizza joint--if they worked at the same pizza joint. Matt doesn't know anything about Tedd's magic and there's no proof in canon I know of that he's ever spoken with Tedd except the night of Grace's birthday party, but Matt would have at least noticed that that purple-haired boy--or girl--was with Susan often in the last year, and could have told his fellow workers about that strange delivery.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Jay picked up on "she" for Tedd from AJA (Arthur J. Arthur), she would have to have picked it up after the not-change because Arthur was surprised by Tedd being a woman when they met the Will of Magic. If that's true, her knowledge of the Tedd goes back no more than fifteen days.

If she got the info from AJA that would indicate why she wanted to meet Tedd and why it was the "The Tedd Verres".  Of course getting info from AJA would indicate a shocking lack of OpSec (Operational Security)  by him.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

If she got the info from AJA that would indicate why she wanted to meet Tedd and why it was the "The Tedd Verres".  Of course getting info from AJA would indicate a shocking lack of OpSec by him.

Jay could have known Tedd Verres as "that weird cross-dressing guy or maybe girl Matt Cohen delivered pizza to once" for awhile and not learned AJA was interested in him until recently.

Tedd wearing parts of the girls’ uniform to school would definitely reinforce the rumors that Tedd is either a habitual cross-dresser or a Sweet Polly Oliver.

Jay could have known Tedd Verres as "that weird cross-dressing guy or maybe girl Matt Cohen delivered pizza to once" for awhile and not learned AJA was interested in him until recently.

41 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Tedd wearing parts of the girls’ uniform to school would definitely reinforce the rumors that Tedd is either a habitual cross-dresser or a Sweet Polly Oliver.

Tedd wore the vest for the girl's uniform once.  He doesn't cross dress.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Could be, but we really don't have a good time line on it.  I suspect you are right,  unless Jay was showing powers while in elementary school.

Well we do have word of Arthur that he made Kevin "decades ago" and Jay is certainly not yet of the age where "decades" would be an appropriate description. Almost, but not quite.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

Tedd wore the vest for the girl's uniform once.  He doesn't cross dress.

Well, he has owned skirts for a long time, but only wears them when he's female.

Note that when Elliot saved Tedd from Tony, Elliot said "Leave her alone." That is, Elliot thought Tedd was a girl before Elliot became Tedd's friend. So it's perfectly plausible that Matt Cohen and others who've seen Tedd over the years assume Tedd is a girl, maybe even a girl cross dressing as a boy--or even trans, like Sam.

16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, he has owned skirts for a long time, but only wears them when he's female.

Note that when Elliot saved Tedd from Tony, Elliot said "Leave her alone." That is, Elliot thought Tedd was a girl before Elliot became Tedd's friend. So it's perfectly plausible that Matt Cohen and others who've seen Tedd over the years assume Tedd is a girl, maybe even a girl cross dressing as a boy--or even trans, like Sam.

Aside from the problem Tedd got into trying to get a girl's uniform...

21 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well we do have word of Arthur that he made Kevin "decades ago" and Jay is certainly not yet of the age where "decades" would be an appropriate description. Almost, but not quite.

Good point.  I'm not tied to the idea that Kevin was really made for Jay, it just sorta popped into my head