• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday, May 27, 2020

28 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think that introducing new character would be weird and anyone else already established sounds unlikely to be there.

But The Dan always creates a new character :)  Of course in this context he might not and for all intents and purposes, Tedd's mom is a new character.

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Really?
I would expect that EVENTUALLY we will find out. But can take years.

Yeah, years.  Like how long has Lord Tedd been hanging fire?

31 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Actually, even from Grace changing her clothes.

Grace wasn't in front of the mirror when she changed clothes.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I agree on the arm. Also Nanase's mom's arm would look heavier, no? Don't know the movie reference; clue, please. I dont think she lives in their house, I think she's skrying through the mirror(s). The ravenous from the use of magic is a thing; Nanase's done it, and Grace just recently. Not merely a family trait.

She looks heavier now, but years ago? We saw in Goonmanji 2 what Nanase's mom likely looked like when she was younger. Like I said in a previous post, maybe she stopped using magic, but didn't cut back on the cheesecake.

44 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Four enchantments. Could be both.

She said it was supposed to be a time and magic saver, the magic saver part is obvious, if it's meant to hold large amounts of magic energy it would allow someone to use it as a battery that recharges over time, like Tedd's gauntlet. The time saver part though could mean anything from traveling to other places, or.... I dunno, I still think it being a door wasn't intended, that the creator was trying to create something easier to carry, but it ended up being a door that potentially only did half of what they wanted it to do, creating something from nothing isn't unheard of, since Nanase is capable of doing so with the fairy dolls, and considering Tara's reaction to seeing it, it wouldn't be surprising if either Noriko and/or Mama Kitsune also had the ability to create objects with persistence.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

There is proximity factor, yes ... but also yes, four enchantments - it's possible the absorbing of magic works but some other part only started working after magic not-a-change.

Much like Kevin, maybe the enchantments that were used were the right ones for what was needed (maybe aside from it being a door) but the system's restrictions didn't allow for that many enchantments to function simultaneously. Those restrictions are gone now.

Something else that I think might be a clue to this being the work of Mama Kitsune, Nanase brought up the fact that she made another attempt to see if her mom is aware that she can use Magic which failed left Nanase still wondering if her mom knows anything. If Mama Kitsune did create the door, then there's a chance that it could erase all doubt Nanase had about it and finally get her and her mom talking.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

BTW, yes it looks mirrored but that MIGHT be art error.

Nah, Dan is fastidious about details, that's not an error.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

She looks heavier now, but years ago? 

Oh, you're thinking flashback. I had not considered that; Occam's razor, present until indication of otherwise, but yes, if this is long ago, it could be Nanase's mom.

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Definitely not an art error, as we see when they first brought out the door, the paneled part is at the bottom with the knob on the right, in this page, the door is essentially upside down...or rather Elliot and Justin got it turned upside down when they brought it out.

For what they were using it for, they didn't need to know which end was the top.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I eat cheesecake.  I'm male.  Granted I'm more likely to say fudge, but cheesecake is a high calorie food I eat so I might use that as an example.

Particularly if you happen to know there's a cheesecake in the fridge.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that introducing new character would be weird and anyone else already established sounds unlikely to be there.

But The Dan always creates a new character :)  Of course in this context he might not and for all intents and purposes, Tedd's mom is a new character.

Not really, she already appeared once in similar way.

Really?
I would expect that EVENTUALLY we will find out. But can take years.

I think that Dan learned this lesson and it will only be half as long.

Actually, even from Grace changing her clothes.

Grace wasn't in front of the mirror when she changed clothes.

Depends on range. She WAS suspiciously tired.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I agree on the arm. Also Nanase's mom's arm would look heavier, no? Don't know the movie reference; clue, please. I dont think she lives in their house, I think she's skrying through the mirror(s). The ravenous from the use of magic is a thing; Nanase's done it, and Grace just recently. Not merely a family trait.

She looks heavier now, but years ago? We saw in Goonmanji 2 what Nanase's mom likely looked like when she was younger. Like I said in a previous post, maybe she stopped using magic, but didn't cut back on the cheesecake.

Yup, makes sense.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Something else that I think might be a clue to this being the work of Mama Kitsune, Nanase brought up the fact that she made another attempt to see if her mom is aware that she can use Magic which failed left Nanase still wondering if her mom knows anything. If Mama Kitsune did create the door, then there's a chance that it could erase all doubt Nanase had about it and finally get her and her mom talking.

Only if Nanase finds out it was Mama Kitsune who did it ... but yes, that could work.

I'm still looking forward to the part where Nanase would be deliberately trying to make her mom admit magic is real and Mama Kitsune would pretend she doesn't know in more and more absurd ways.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Definitely not an art error, as we see when they first brought out the door, the paneled part is at the bottom with the knob on the right, in this page, the door is essentially upside down...or rather Elliot and Justin got it turned upside down when they brought it out.

Oh. Right. So the feeling it's mirrored was mistake on my side; it's not, they are just using it upside down.

I knew I should verify that feeling :) ... was too lazy.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

For all we know, Noriko could be as hefty or heftier than her sister by now. Any votes for Noriko in the Expanded Edition?

27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Noriko has appeared three times:

The last instance repeats the image Dan used before. Dan has never shown Noriko's face--just like he's never shown the face of Susan's dad.

It may just be coincidence, but the flashback comic at the end of Hair begins with the same words over the first frame: "Many years ago..."

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Noriko has appeared three times:

The last instance repeats the image Dan used before. Dan has never shown Noriko's face--just like he's never shown the face of Susan's dad.

It may just be coincidence, but the flashback comic at the end of Hair begins with the same words over the first frame: "Many years ago..."

That Agent Wolf illustration might not be considered real appearance. I meant the one with infant Tedd.

Regardless who it was, the time frame is very similar. Like, 18 years ago give or take 3 years?

For all we know, Noriko could be as hefty or heftier than her sister by now. Any votes for Noriko in the Expanded Edition?

Unlikely. As far as we know, she's still active monster hunter. That's LOT of magic use and generally healthy exercise.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

That Agent Wolf illustration might not be considered real appearance. I meant the one with infant Tedd.

I agree; I've posted before that the Agent Wolf version could be how he thinks Noriko looks. Wolf has probably never met her in person and might not even know she's Edward's ex-wife--although I'm pretty sure Agent Cranium knows from the deadly stare Cranium gives him after Wolf blurts out his "powerhouse" spiel.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
16 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Unlikely. As far as we know, she's still active monster hunter. That's LOT of magic use and generally healthy exercise.

... also, she MIGHT be using magic for keeping her appearance ...

Susan: So you are Noriko? You look good for your age.
Noriko: And you look dark for blonde.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I agree; I've posted before that the Agent Wolf version could be how he thinks Noriko looks. Wolf has probably never met her in person and might not even know she's Edward's ex-wife--although I'm pretty sure Agent Cranium knows from the deadly stare Cranium gives him after Wolf blurts out his "powerhouse" spiel.

Based on her being sort-of celebrity I would assume he saw her photo. Also, he might not REMEMBER she's Edward's ex-wife but he has enough clearance to know and was probably told - if he didn't know, the deadly stare would make less sense ; it's more likely Cranium thinks he should know.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Susan: So you are Noriko? You look good for your age.
Noriko: And you look dark for blonde.

I'd love to see an exchange like that in canon, but it would need backstory. Susan got into the group as a friend of Sarah; I think it's established they met in middle school, the only time Sarah wasn't going to the same school as Elliot--and Sarah didn't seem to know Susan was a blonde until Susan revealed how her dad cheated on her mom. Noriko seems to have left before Tedd met Elliot.

Now there's a way around this, but it's a long one: Let's suppose that Susan's dad was also had magic and that her mom knew about it but they kept it secret from their child. Then Dad pulls the brilliant move of bringing his mistress into their home while Mom is away. But until that time, Susan's mom knew Nanase's family because Susan's dad worked with them, and she's kept in touch with Nanase's mom, yet another secret Nanase's mom is keeping from Nanase.

Since Susan got her fairy spell, and she likes having them around, and they are inconvenient to unsummon, it's not a stretch for Susan's mom to have noticed them by now. But perhaps having taken lessons from Nanase's mom, she pretends she knows nothing of them.

Well, maybe...

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

My bets, especially based on Not_Tengu calling Nanase the "spitting image of Noriko", are that Noriko is still quite active as a monster hunter (even Van confirms that) if she's still using magic frequently, it's probably unlikely that she's gained any wieght like her sister has.

Also, like Nanase, I'm inclined to believe that Noriko has a fitness regime to keep in shape for chasing monsters.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

If Mama Kitsune did create the door, then there's a chance that it could erase all doubt Nanase had about it and finally get her and her mom talking.

While I don't think it's Mama Kitsune, this would be a good thing.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Oh, you're thinking flashback. I had not considered that; Occam's razor, present until indication of otherwise, but yes, if this is long ago, it could be Nanase's mom.

Are you forgetting that the top of the comic says "Many years ago...".  This is a flashback.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:
11 hours ago, mlooney said:

That is why I qualified the new character bit.  She hasn't had even a minor on screen bit.  I mean we have seen Mr. Brown once before, but I'd call him a new character if he started being important to the plot.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:
11 hours ago, mlooney said:

I think that Dan learned this lesson and it will only be half as long.

So only 9 years, more or less, given that Lord Tedd has been hanging fire for 18 years now.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

That is why I qualified the new character bit.  She hasn't had even a minor on screen bit.  I mean we have seen Mr. Brown once before, but I'd call him a new character if he started being important to the plot.

I'd put Noriko in the "always there" category, she's been seen for certain once in the flashback with Adrian, and it was assumed the figure we saw when Wolf was describing the last person to fight Not_Tengu was Noriko. We've known of "The mother that left Tedd" as far back as Lunchtable Revelations when Tedd revealed that his parents were divorced. Dan's been developing Noriko almost as much as he had been developing Pandora and while Pandora of course has had more screen presence, people have still been talking about Noriko for quite some time, so I can't at all agree that she should be considered a "New character".

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Dan's been developing Noriko almost as much as he had been developing Pandora and while Pandora of course has had more screen presence, people have still been talking about Noriko for quite some time, so I can't at all agree that she should be considered a "New character".

I can see your point and agree with it in the main, I should say that she hasn't been a point of view character or one that has had a significant amount of screen time as yet.  While not a new character as such, there isn't a lot we know about her as a character.  We know she's a monster hunting wizard with a 2nd child and that she was upset about Tedd not being a wizard and that she had left Tedd and Edward, possibly due to Tedd not being a wizard.  While that sounds like a lot, it's not really all that much.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I can see your point and agree with it in the main, I should say that she hasn't been a point of view character or one that has had a significant amount of screen time as yet.  While not a new character as such, there isn't a lot we know about her as a character.  We know she's a monster hunting wizard with a 2nd child and that she was upset about Tedd not being a wizard and that she had left Tedd and Edward, possibly due to Tedd not being a wizard.  While that sounds like a lot, it's not really all that much.

But we know Dan's been sitting on her (minds out of the gutter people!!) for a long time, which has got to mean something as well.

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

But we know Dan's been sitting on her (minds out of the gutter people!!) for a long time, which has got to mean something as well.

The same could be said for Lord Tedd, but I see your point.  That being said, unless she shows up because the door/mirror calls her I'm not seeing a major or for that manner minor role for her in this story line.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The same could be said for Lord Tedd, but I see your point.  That being said, unless she shows up because the door/mirror calls her I'm not seeing a major or for that manner minor role for her in this story line.

I'm thinking that when we actually get around to seeing Noriko, Van will be involved, and the WoM wanted to hold off on Tedd finding out Van's their half sibling until a specific time which I don't think is during this party. I think Dan expects readers to jump to the "It's Noriko!" conclusion based on the vagueness of this page, but at the same time I believe there are enough crumbs to sort out whether it actually is or not.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Are you forgetting that the top of the comic says "Many years ago...".  This is a flashback.

No. I did not forget; having read the comic several times, I did not see that. I think the placement of the page in my browser clipped it, and I did not scroll up and catch it, but I'm not sure. Definitely a flashback, no question.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm thinking that when we actually get around to seeing Noriko, Van will be involved, and the WoM wanted to hold off on Tedd finding out Van's their half sibling until a specific time which I don't think is during this party. I think Dan expects readers to jump to the "It's Noriko!" conclusion based on the vagueness of this page, but at the same time I believe there are enough crumbs to sort out whether it actually is or not.

Yeah, Noriko and Van will be introduced to the main cast about the same time, if not the exact same time.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

No. I did not forget; having read the comic several times, I did not see that. I think the placement of the page in my browser clipped it, and I did not scroll up and catch it, but I'm not sure. Definitely a flashback, no question.

Browser clipping is a thing that can happen.  I was very much aware of this back when I gave a damn about select websites.

Another point that I missed but someone on Discord brought up that would be in favor of this being Nanase's mom, in the 4th panel she mentions Adrian's "British-ness" and talks about it like "oh! they act soo posh and proper and like they're better than the US"  meanwhile after the divorce Noriko seems to have ended up in England and having another child with a British man, or at the very least Van's development was spent around people with British accents. Still, I'd think if Noriko wasn't of fan of the British, she might have been inclined to avoid england.

Also, I am curious if Adrian British accent is just part of the old man disguise or if that's his real accent, cus I do get the feeling he switched whenever he dropped the illusion. I also got the feeling that Noriko and Edward knew what Adrian was by the time they were married. Because Adrian had said they remained friends after they graduated it's not a stretch to think he told them about being the son of an Immortal, and maybe Adrian is the reason Edward knows a lot about them.  Nanase's mom though, if her dislike of Adrian as a teacher made it so she never found out about him being an Elf until later (like around the time of the divorce maybe, or at least when Tedd was born and Adrian was named Tedd's Godfather).

And now, another theory as to why Mama Kitsune would have a "I have no sister" response, and her not wanting Nanase to know what she knows. When we saw Noriko and Adrian in that flashback and Noriko's seen still scanning Tedd in case she missed something, Noriko mentioned that magic was always straightforward with her family, what if she got it in her head that, if Tedd might not end up being her successor, could her sister's daughter have the potential? Tedd and Nanase are about the same age (Nanase being a little older, but not by much apparently) if Mama Kitsune caught Noriko scanning Nanase one day, I'd imagine Mama Kitsune would go full on Mama Kodiak.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Another point that I missed but someone on Discord brought up that would be in favor of this being Nanase's mom, in the 4th panel she mentions Adrian's "British-ness" and talks about it like "oh! they act soo posh and proper and like they're better than the US"  meanwhile after the divorce Noriko seems to have ended up in England and having another child with a British man, or at the very least Van's development was spent around people with British accents. Still, I'd think if Noriko wasn't of fan of the British, she might have been inclined to avoid england.

I don't read that bit about Adrian being so British as being all that anti-British.  I'm an Anglophile of the first water and I've been known to make similar remarks about Brits.   Often with a "pip pip cheerio" tossed in for good measure.

Has anyone yet considered, while debating how much magic the mirror might have seen since being uncovered, that a seer recharged a wand not far from the mirror? I'm guessing that flares off as much magic as all the spells put together, since the "visual nonsense" is pretty flashy.