• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday, May 27, 2020

2 minutes ago, Haylo said:

Has anyone yet considered, while debating how much magic the mirror might have seen since being uncovered, that a seer recharged a wand not far from the mirror? I'm guessing that flares off as much magic as all the spells put together, since the "visual nonsense" is pretty flashy.

Oh, good point.  That might be a major power source in it's own right.  Hopefully we will find out later today about that sort of thing.

When Pandora visits Adrian in the hospital, she lists four countries Adrian has lived in, maybe in order: The United States; England; France, and Germany. Maybe they're not in order; Germany wasn't really a nation until 1871, but this does establish that at one time Adrian wanted to fight for England. Not exactly great evidence for Adrian being an Anglophile; I kind of think Adrian became an Anglophile some time between Monday's and Wednesday's comic.

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Not exactly great evidence for Adrian being an Anglophile; I kind of think Adrian became an Anglophile some time between Monday's and Wednesday's comic.

He does drink tea, so there is that.  Of course I'm an American who drinks a couple of liters of hot tea every day, so tea drinking alone isn't enough to peg him as being a Brit.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

When Pandora visits Adrian in the hospital, she lists four countries Adrian has lived in, maybe in order: The United States; England; France, and Germany. Maybe they're not in order; Germany wasn't really a nation until 1871, but this does establish that at one time Adrian wanted to fight for England. Not exactly great evidence for Adrian being an Anglophile; I kind of think Adrian became an Anglophile some time between Monday's and Wednesday's comic.

I've also said previously that the name Blaike has an English origin, Adrian, however has latin origins and has variations in English, French, and German. It'd be safe to say that Blaike was born in England, and we could assume Adrian was also born in England, but considering Blaike and Pandora adventured a fair bit, there is a chance Adrian was born in France or Pre-Germany, it's also quite possible they settled down in England when Pandora got pregnant (I honestly can't guess how Immortal pregnancies work, I would of course assume there's really no difference between Immortals and Humans anatomy-wise, but I doubt Dan would get into the nitty-gritty of that) and then Adrian traveled to France and Germany when he was old enough, eventually settling down in Moperville.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, Tom Sewell said:
On 5/28/2020 at 7:53 AM, hkmaly said:

Susan: So you are Noriko? You look good for your age.
Noriko: And you look dark for blonde.

I'd love to see an exchange like that in canon, but it would need backstory. Susan got into the group as a friend of Sarah; I think it's established they met in middle school, the only time Sarah wasn't going to the same school as Elliot--and Sarah didn't seem to know Susan was a blonde until Susan revealed how her dad cheated on her mom. Noriko seems to have left before Tedd met Elliot.

Now there's a way around this, but it's a long one: Let's suppose that Susan's dad was also had magic and that her mom knew about it but they kept it secret from their child. Then Dad pulls the brilliant move of bringing his mistress into their home while Mom is away. But until that time, Susan's mom knew Nanase's family because Susan's dad worked with them, and she's kept in touch with Nanase's mom, yet another secret Nanase's mom is keeping from Nanase.

Since Susan got her fairy spell, and she likes having them around, and they are inconvenient to unsummon, it's not a stretch for Susan's mom to have noticed them by now. But perhaps having taken lessons from Nanase's mom, she pretends she knows nothing of them.

Well, maybe...

I don't think so. Between how much secrets Nanase moms is keeping and how much Dunkels are keeping, having even Susan's mom keeping that much ...

On the other hand, I wouldn't consider impossible that Susan's dad had some magic connections he did NOT told Susan's mom about.

Also, I have much simpler explanation why Noriko would immediately see Susan is blonde: She's experienced wizard capable of detecting stuff like that.

On 5/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, mlooney said:
On 5/28/2020 at 6:27 AM, hkmaly said:

I think that Dan learned this lesson and it will only be half as long.

So only 9 years, more or less, given that Lord Tedd has been hanging fire for 18 years now.

Yes that's exactly what I meant :)

On 5/28/2020 at 3:19 PM, Scotty said:

It was, Not Tengu SAID it was Noriko who fought him last time. Even Nanase realized this.

On 5/28/2020 at 4:01 PM, Scotty said:
On 5/28/2020 at 3:54 PM, mlooney said:

The same could be said for Lord Tedd, but I see your point.  That being said, unless she shows up because the door/mirror calls her I'm not seeing a major or for that manner minor role for her in this story line.

I'm thinking that when we actually get around to seeing Noriko, Van will be involved, and the WoM wanted to hold off on Tedd finding out Van's their half sibling until a specific time which I don't think is during this party.

Agree. However, that doesn't mean she couldn't be the one enchanting the door, just that we don't see her being called by the door. (Still thinks Nanase's mom is more likely, but SHE IMHO wouldn't be called either.)

On 5/29/2020 at 3:46 PM, Scotty said:

Another point that I missed but someone on Discord brought up that would be in favor of this being Nanase's mom, in the 4th panel she mentions Adrian's "British-ness" and talks about it like "oh! they act soo posh and proper and like they're better than the US"  meanwhile after the divorce Noriko seems to have ended up in England and having another child with a British man, or at the very least Van's development was spent around people with British accents. Still, I'd think if Noriko wasn't of fan of the British, she might have been inclined to avoid england.

Good point.

Also, I am curious if Adrian British accent is just part of the old man disguise or if that's his real accent, cus I do get the feeling he switched whenever he dropped the illusion. I also got the feeling that Noriko and Edward knew what Adrian was by the time they were married. Because Adrian had said they remained friends after they graduated it's not a stretch to think he told them about being the son of an Immortal, and maybe Adrian is the reason Edward knows a lot about them.  Nanase's mom though, if her dislike of Adrian as a teacher made it so she never found out about him being an Elf until later (like around the time of the divorce maybe, or at least when Tedd was born and Adrian was named Tedd's Godfather).

I find more likely Adrian really picked British accent due to years spent in Britain and it might took him some time to get rid of it. However, what would be "true accent" in his case? The English of Shakespeare?
I agree that Edward knows a lot about immortals from Adrian, however I don't think he's ONLY source he has. Specifically, I suspect that he was in contact with Helena and Demetrius before their reset.

Not sure what would accomplish Nanase's mom finding out only later, though.

And now, another theory as to why Mama Kitsune would have a "I have no sister" response, and her not wanting Nanase to know what she knows. When we saw Noriko and Adrian in that flashback and Noriko's seen still scanning Tedd in case she missed something, Noriko mentioned that magic was always straightforward with her family, what if she got it in her head that, if Tedd might not end up being her successor, could her sister's daughter have the potential? Tedd and Nanase are about the same age (Nanase being a little older, but not by much apparently) if Mama Kitsune caught Noriko scanning Nanase one day, I'd imagine Mama Kitsune would go full on Mama Kodiak.

Sounds likely. Especially the bits about Noriko scanning Nanase and Mama Kitsune not liking that. Less sure about the successor part.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, Tom Sewell said:

Personally, I think he's keeping up the Britishness for two reasons: first, it gives him a valid reason to be eccentric (recall the ascot on his first appearance?) in a way that no-one will overly question his reasoning behind (though they may question why he's in the US in the first place). Second, British English, when spoken with the right accent, comes off as potentially posh and educated, thereby allowing him to be quite verbose, and, if he is so inclined, to be rather on the sesquipedalian side. I mean, English in general has 171,476 words, and the average person only knows about 20,000-40,000. (Yes, I did google both of those facts.) :D 

As for the comic, I'm more inclined to think it's Noriko (since her kvetching would be at odds with her sleeping with him later), but I like the idea of it being Mama Kitsune. :) 

Also! Since the door is upside down and the griffons are supposedly from the "flip-side of the coin," I think it would be interesting if the doorknob is being tried by someone from that world, since the door is now facing the right "direction" for them to use it. 

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I find more likely Adrian really picked British accent due to years spent in Britain and it might took him some time to get rid of it. However, what would be "true accent" in his case? The English of Shakespeare?

So his "native" accent sound like an appalachian hillbilly?  That is what most people who claim to know what early modern English sounds like say it is closest to.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:46 PM, mlooney said:
On 5/29/2020 at 7:43 PM, Haylo said:

Has anyone yet considered, while debating how much magic the mirror might have seen since being uncovered, that a seer recharged a wand not far from the mirror? I'm guessing that flares off as much magic as all the spells put together, since the "visual nonsense" is pretty flashy.

Oh, good point.  That might be a major power source in it's own right.  Hopefully we will find out later today about that sort of thing.

Agree. Definitely very good point. Like, not due that visual nonsense, Tedd likely did it ON PURPOSE, but it definitely would be lot of power ...

On 5/29/2020 at 11:17 PM, Tom Sewell said:

I would assume they were in reverse order, but yes, unless the "Germany" was actually Prussia or something, the timeline would make it unlikely.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:26 PM, mlooney said:
On 5/29/2020 at 11:17 PM, Tom Sewell said:

Not exactly great evidence for Adrian being an Anglophile; I kind of think Adrian became an Anglophile some time between Monday's and Wednesday's comic.

He does drink tea, so there is that.  Of course I'm an American who drinks a couple of liters of hot tea every day, so tea drinking alone isn't enough to peg him as being a Brit.

Jean Luc Picard is FRENCH who is famous of drinking tea.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:10 AM, Scotty said:

I honestly can't guess how Immortal pregnancies work, I would of course assume there's really no difference between Immortals and Humans anatomy-wise, but I doubt Dan would get into the nitty-gritty of that

I'm pretty sure that no matter how different it may be in general, Pandora deliberately went for as human experience as possible with Adrian.

3 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

Personally, I think he's keeping up the Britishness for two reasons: first, it gives him a valid reason to be eccentric (recall the ascot on his first appearance?) in a way that no-one will overly question his reasoning behind (though they may question why he's in the US in the first place). Second, British English, when spoken with the right accent, comes off as potentially posh and educated, thereby allowing him to be quite verbose, and, if he is so inclined, to be rather on the sesquipedalian side. I mean, English in general has 171,476 words, and the average person only knows about 20,000-40,000. (Yes, I did google both of those facts.) :D 

Wouldn't rule out that Adrian knows all of those 171,476 words and few more :)

And yes ; he might keep the Britishness to cover his other eccentricities, like having a sword - I mean cane.

6 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

As for the comic, I'm more inclined to think it's Noriko (since her kvetching would be at odds with her sleeping with him later), but I like the idea of it being Mama Kitsune. :) 

I don't think Noriko was sleeping with Adrian. I don't believe Adrian would do it. I find plausible Noriko tried.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

So his "native" accent sound like an appalachian hillbilly?  That is what most people who claim to know what early modern English sounds like say it is closest to.

I find very suspicious that someone today (with possible exception of Adrian) would know how English sounded at that time, or, for that matter, how should you correctly pronounce hieroglyphs.

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I find very suspicious that someone today (with possible exception of Adrian) would know how English sounded at that time, or, for that matter, how should you correctly pronounce hieroglyphs.

Linguistics is an odd study.  I've read the appalachian accent theory more than once, but I don't know if that is just other people quoting one original source on it or not.

6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Wouldn't rule out that Adrian knows all of those 171,476 words and few more :)

And yes ; he might keep the Britishness to cover his other eccentricities, like having a sword - I mean cane.

I don't think Noriko was sleeping with Adrian. I don't believe Adrian would do it. I find plausible Noriko tried.

Also wouldn't be surprised if he already knows Uromoco.

Not to mention knowing how to use said sword.

This is true, yes. I can therefore also see her recently-divorced self being attracted to Mr. Pompom's also-recently-divorced self... [insert grining sweat-drop emoji here]

Well, he could always ask... Hetep? Was that the name of the god Pandora visited? 

1 minute ago, Kazzellin said:

Also wouldn't be surprised if he already knows Uromoco.

Not to mention knowing how to use said sword.

This is true, yes. I can therefore also see her recently-divorced self being attracted to Mr. Pompom's also-recently-divorced self...

Hmmmm ....

1 minute ago, Kazzellin said:

[insert grining sweat-drop emoji here]

Didn't we used to have more emoticons here?

2 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

Well, he could always ask... Hetep? Was that the name of the god Pandora visited? 

The word you search for is Heka, but it's not certain if it was his NAME. Could be title or job position. In any case, only he gave.

Hmmmm ....

That's my take on it, too. Granted, it's making an assumption on when said divorces happened, but since this door seems interested in transformation magic in various ways, I'm still wondering if she might be the blond Susan found him with. Also, if she brought him over and/or Edward just happened to catch them in a romantically compromised position as well, it would certainly explain the rift between him and Adrian. Susan did say Adrian is a near-dead ringer for her dad...

Didn't we used to have more emoticons here?

I'm not sure. I thought I saw it before, but I'm not on here very often.

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The word you search for is Heka, but it's not certain if it was his NAME. Could be title or job position. In any case, only he gave.

Yes. Him. Thank you. Also, a good point with the name/title. (I already have four tabs opened on various points in EGS and didn't want to open a fifth. A-heh.)

6 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:
14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmmm ....

That's my take on it, too. Granted, it's making an assumption on when said divorces happened, but since this door seems interested in transformation magic in various ways, I'm still wondering if she might be the blond Susan found him with. Also, if she brought him over and/or Edward just happened to catch them in a romantically compromised position as well, it would certainly explain the rift between him and Adrian. Susan did say Adrian is a near-dead ringer for her dad...

The door seem interested in ANY magic, not their problem transformation was only magic around.

Also, I don't think that blonde had magic OR Noriko's attitude.

That still doesn't rule out they hook up. I mean, the blonde likely wasn't ONLY woman Susan's dad slept with.

Personally I think that Noriko disappeared sooner than Susan's dad divorce, based on Susan/Tedd age, but, well, hard to say.

Now, the reason Adrian looks like Susan's dad is same as why Diane looks like Susan, and I don't think EGS is the bad kind of comedy necessary for Edward really mistaking some human for Adrian.

13 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:
21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. Him. Thank you. Also, a good point with the name/title. (I already have four tabs opened on various points in EGS and didn't want to open a fifth. A-heh.)

Just five tabs? :)

Also, do you know about the wiki?

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

The door seem interested in ANY magic, not their problem transformation was only magic around.

This is true, but that's also hypothetical right now, since, as you just said, transformation magic is all it's getting right now.

Also, I don't think that blonde had magic OR Noriko's attitude.

That still doesn't rule out they hook up. I mean, the blonde likely wasn't ONLY woman Susan's dad slept with.

Personally I think that Noriko disappeared sooner than Susan's dad divorce, based on Susan/Tedd age, but, well, hard to say.

Now, the reason Adrian looks like Susan's dad is same as why Diane looks like Susan, and I don't think EGS is the bad kind of comedy necessary for Edward really mistaking some human for Adrian.

Not that we got a lot of screen time with said blondie. *shrug*

That is a possibility as well, yes.

We don't have a set time for age when Tedd's parents divorced, though we can assume one for Susan's. The youngest we've seen Tedd was with the bit with William and Jillian, and that was apparently long enough a time that Edward was concerned about how reserved and quiet Tedd was being.

I think that depends on how much of Mr. Pompom's Edward would have seen. Also, if he was already upset about the divorce, he'd likely not be thinking logically if he thought his wife and his friend had betrayed his trust in that manner (conclusion jumping is alive and well).

Just five tabs? :)

Also, do you know about the wiki?

Yeah, only 5. I have to be to work by 5am, and it's almost 9pm right now. Well, in theory, anyway; this is going to be tricky with the buses not running and the curfew between 8pm tonight and 6am tomorrow morning (I'm in Minneapolis :()--the letter for COVID might work, but I don't know for sure, as this is a different situation.

I know about the wiki, yes, but I didn't know about the discord I've seen mentioned. Is it an invite-only chat? :) 

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Anybody who picks ONE accent for what early modern English sounds like, is almost certainly wrong. No matter what that one accent is.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Anybody who picks ONE accent for what early modern English sounds like, is almost certainly wrong. No matter what that one accent is.

Most likely correct.

Seriously, have you LOOKED at the distribution of accents within England itself prior to motor transportation and sound recording/transmission? Just about every city or county of note had its own distinctive accent--Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol, London, etc. etc. We tend to forget that, back in the days when people walked everywhere (or rode a horse if they were wealthy enough), even a "small" country like England took a month to cross.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:44 PM, mlooney said:

Well, we know, in the meta sense that Grace is going to have to use her martial arts some time (The Dan says he knows who she is going to fight).  It's going to open a portal that allows a hostile in and the collected martial artists get to kick it's butt.   I really hope that's not what does happen mainly due to what that would do to Ashley.  While magic isn't exactly safe it would be nice to have a magical encounter that didn't result in combat for her.

... which was foreshadowed by Liz ...

On 5/27/2020 at 8:01 PM, Scotty said:

This I certainly agree with, cus the person who made it had a concern of the door absorbing too much magic, with all that had gone on in the basement over the past year, it's either absorbed lots of magic by now, or has only been absorbing magic since the "not change". of course there may be a proximity factor that only come into play since the door was moved out into the open and has spells casted next to it.

Can't be so sure about this, obviously the person who created it hid it in the basement with no intention of telling anyone about it, all Tedd said was that they found it cleaning and that Edward had forgotten it was there, but did Edward really forget it was there, or was he just assuming that he must he put it there and forgot about it?  Also if Edward knew the door was a failed attempt at enchanting, would he be inclined to allow Tedd and co to use it, not knowing what it could possibly do?  especially considering Kevin, a wand that was initially thought to be a failed project, unexpectedly coming to life, I'd expect Edward to be extremely wary of objects used in failed enchantments.

I don't expect Edward to have talked about Adrian in this manner either really, at least not until after the divorce. and again, we don't know if Edward knows if the door is anything but a door.

I'm rereading these at breakfast, and I think you've made good points here. I'm nor seeing the door as Kevin II, but 'It came back online with the magic reboot' makes perfect sense, as does failure to communicate to Edward.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, Scotty said:

Another point that I missed but someone on Discord brought up that would be in favor of this being Nanase's mom, in the 4th panel she mentions Adrian's "British-ness" and talks about it like "oh! they act soo posh and proper and like they're better than the US"  meanwhile after the divorce Noriko seems to have ended up in England and having another child with a British man, or at the very least Van's development was spent around people with British accents. Still, I'd think if Noriko wasn't of fan of the British, she might have been inclined to avoid england.

Also, I am curious if Adrian British accent is just part of the old man disguise or if that's his real accent, cus I do get the feeling he switched whenever he dropped the illusion. I also got the feeling that Noriko and Edward knew what Adrian was by the time they were married. Because Adrian had said they remained friends after they graduated it's not a stretch to think he told them about being the son of an Immortal, and maybe Adrian is the reason Edward knows a lot about them.  Nanase's mom though, if her dislike of Adrian as a teacher made it so she never found out about him being an Elf until later (like around the time of the divorce maybe, or at least when Tedd was born and Adrian was named Tedd's Godfather).

And now, another theory as to why Mama Kitsune would have a "I have no sister" response, and her not wanting Nanase to know what she knows. When we saw Noriko and Adrian in that flashback and Noriko's seen still scanning Tedd in case she missed something, Noriko mentioned that magic was always straightforward with her family, what if she got it in her head that, if Tedd might not end up being her successor, could her sister's daughter have the potential? Tedd and Nanase are about the same age (Nanase being a little older, but not by much apparently) if Mama Kitsune caught Noriko scanning Nanase one day, I'd imagine Mama Kitsune would go full on Mama Kodiak.

Mama Kitsune may have developed a distaste for things British because Noriko moved there, although she probably also blames Adrian for the divorce, and that would be a factor as well. 

She still has an active connection to the Department of Magic Denial, and is actively hiding her knowledge from her daughter, with their cooperation. Also they are more aware of her than just as an occasional run in during magic incidents involving monster hunting and her being Edwards niece.

Given all of this, and that she goes to the same high school as her aunt and mom, it is odd that Adrian has not approached her to train her, unless that was previously addressed and prohibited by the other parties involved, especially Mama Kitsune.

I hope at some point we are privy to this back story.

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Given all of this, and that she goes to the same high school as her aunt and mom, it is odd that Adrian has not approached her to train her, unless that was previously addressed and prohibited by the other parties involved, especially Mama Kitsune.

We have not in canon evidence that Adrian teaches magic to any one other than Noah.  If he did he would have offered training to Ellen by this time.  Of course it's possible that he only trains, vs looks after, wizards and none of the main cast are wizards.  Of course that brings up Jay and why isn't she one of his favorite students, or is she and we just haven't seen it yet?

7 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I hope at some point we are privy to this back story.

That would be nice.

On 5/29/2020 at 9:46 AM, Scotty said:

... and that. If nothing else, it could have started innocently; "What's that, Auntie Noriko?" "Oh, it's just a  ... Oh, my ..." or "What'cha doing to Tedd? That makes a lot of noise," "Yes it does, Honey, ... <turns toward Nanase to speak to her, meter goes wild>  ... Oh, my ...".

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

... and that. If nothing else, it could have started innocently; "What's that, Auntie Noriko?" "Oh, it's just a  ... Oh, my ..." or "What'cha doing to Tedd? That makes a lot of noise," "Yes it does, Honey, ... <turns toward Nanase to speak to her, meter goes wild>  ... Oh, my ...".

Noriko was looking for Tedd to be a wizard.  Nanase is a powerful magic user, but she's not a wizard.  Might tend to dampen any desire to make her a magical heir.

13 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Also! Since the door is upside down and the griffons are supposedly from the "flip-side of the coin," I think it would be interesting if the doorknob is being tried by someone from that world, since the door is now facing the right "direction" for them to use it. 

.... so be thankful for you coworker who only grunts back at you, he's doubling your word count.

Does 'kvetching' count against it? I should get a bye on all Yiddish expressions, right?

... and idioms ... you know, things to reference 'flip-side' to are becoming scarce. Some day not far off, they may need a Wikipedia article to explain it. I once used the expression 'you sound like a broken record' to my children. I had to explain what a record was, painfully explaining, "It's like a diskette". Talk about backward, but it made sense to them. But my grand kids will have never seen a diskette.

Sesquipedalian is sesquipedalian.