• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday, May 27, 2020

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Or you can download the music from net :)

You can download many things from the net, but unless someone has taken archival information and converted it, then posted it and made it available, you can not. So, if you have a wax cylinder of a band performing Dixieland jazz from the turn of the previous century, odds are good that you are not going to get them together for a live performance for your website; you might need to digitize that archival recording.

That's because CDs are not really designed for that. Well, MOST CDs, there are actually special archive CDs ... but in general, they didn't even tried. Technologically, you can actually create VERY robust CDs if you press them and don't use the usual materials.

Do you mean off the shelf archival CDs? I'd be curious how long they actually last. I don't doubt they're better than CDs.

The idea that she would somehow miss she's having sex with married man didn't even occurred to me. I though she just didn't cared.

Its a stretch, but I think she would.

Marriage is a step beyond just living together, it is a promise to another person. Not to argue rightness or wrongness, nor drag 'divorce is bad' into this, keeping your word is a salient aspect of any person's moral character; can you be trusted. Or flip side, if I can't trust you in this, how can I trust you in anything?

I see monster hunter as a role that requires a strong character; I admit, that is a stretch. Perhaps a sleazebag could handle it. But I'm thinking of heroes both real and fictional, and it does not seem so.

That only means there is limit how far into past the genealogy goes.

For example, Noriko's family have pretty long records ...

Not the public one.

You and I are not talking about the same thing. I am not saying the genealogy would not be available, although since you brought it up, that might not be a given, I'm saying they are dull reading, and unless you have a purpose, you won't bother. That purpose need not be deep, but it has to exist. You have to have some topic of interest.

Noriko might want a genealogy of someone to assess their wizardly pedigree, but she would first want to have a reason to think they might have one.

We know she's wizard. It would be very useful for her to have some. Remember that Edward does have spell he used to evaluate Elliot's transformation.

Oh, yeah, good point.

We know that he's quote emotional in personal life, remember how he reacted to Nanase being in danger.

Also, I said that the arguments STARTED that way. Then the general issue of Noriko wanting to give more importance to career than personal life AND the fact that she considers child part of her career would appear ...

And regarding the marriage ... the emotional connection might be there originally but later disappeared. There ARE cases like this, and arguing about something will make it REALLY apparent.

Actually, it is interesting that he feels that strongly connected to Nanase.

My experience says it does not take much to start an argument with your spouse, it is inevitable. Mine was exceptionally argumentative, but even normal folks will find them selves at odds as they adjust to each other. SO I can't say your're wrong, but I don't think it matters; it's obvious they disagreed about something(s).

Heh, complex issues. if this were simple, we would not have the marital issues we have. There are many phases and aspects of attraction, and some are more durable than others. Failure in some might kill the whole deal.

What do we actually know? Edward and Noriko knew each other in high school, and trained in use of their magic abilities, then got married. We don't know if they were attracted to each other and dated, other than sharing some common ground and experience. That can be enough, and this could have worked.

Edward blames Adrian for the divorce, at least in part, and Adrian blames himself, thinks he is responsible for Tedd not having a mother in the picture. Mrs. Kitsune blames her sister. It has something to do with Noriko choosing career over her marriage.

Mrs. Kitsune is on good terms with both Edward and with the magic police. Adrian is on bad terms with both Edward and Mrs. Kitsune. Everyone is out of touch with Noriko, and are seemingly not aware that she had another child.

Speculation; Edward and Noriko came to the attention of the magic police. Edward accepted their oversight and a job. Noriko went to Adrian for advice, and he gave her a narrow answer to not let them constrain her abilities, not seeing the consequences. Noriko left the country to avoid their oversight, in the process, ending her marriage, now seeing Edward not specifically as an enemy, but as part of something she wanted no part of. When the story unravels, Arthur attempts to have Adrian deported.

If this is the case, I'm thinking Adrian was not wrong, per Pandora's warning to Sarah about 'don't tell Edward'. Shortsighted, but not exactly wrong. 'He tried to deport me to Russia' would indicate that they can be heavy handed; 'I'm not even Russian', ham handed as well.

Yes, but Mrs. Kitsune is limited in how much she wants to tell Nanase.

True, she wouldn't be a good conduit to send messages to Nanase, it would blow her cover. Is that what you mean?

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's obviously just my speculation. There are alternatives, like maybe he's just that afraid of Nanase (doing something stupid) herself.

That is what Ellen's statement said, so he'd be agreeing.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Or, maybe we are just overestimating his emotions.

I don't think so. That is not the face of a man saying, "Oh, yeah, go ahead and do that. Take your time."

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Or you can download the music from net :)

You can download many things from the net, but unless someone has taken archival information and converted it, then posted it and made it available, you can not. So, if you have a wax cylinder of a band performing Dixieland jazz from the turn of the previous century, odds are good that you are not going to get them together for a live performance for your website; you might need to digitize that archival recording.

True, SOMEONE needed to do it. And the sooner the better.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

That's because CDs are not really designed for that. Well, MOST CDs, there are actually special archive CDs ... but in general, they didn't even tried. Technologically, you can actually create VERY robust CDs if you press them and don't use the usual materials.

Do you mean off the shelf archival CDs? I'd be curious how long they actually last. I don't doubt they're better than CDs.

Obviously, we wouldn't know for sure until enough time would pass since their creation.

But if you mean if there were archival CD-Rs, then yes, although those probably wouldn't be THAT much more robust.

Pressed CD, you can't make at home, but it allows to use more diverse materials with longer live expectancy. Of course, that doesn't mean every pressed CD has higher quality ...

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The idea that she would somehow miss she's having sex with married man didn't even occurred to me. I though she just didn't cared.

Its a stretch, but I think she would.

Marriage is a step beyond just living together, it is a promise to another person. Not to argue rightness or wrongness, nor drag 'divorce is bad' into this, keeping your word is a salient aspect of any person's moral character; can you be trusted. Or flip side, if I can't trust you in this, how can I trust you in anything?

I see monster hunter as a role that requires a strong character; I admit, that is a stretch. Perhaps a sleazebag could handle it. But I'm thinking of heroes both real and fictional, and it does not seem so.

She wouldn't need to TRUST Mr. Pompom.

She could keep her promise to Edward until the divorce but not care about promises of Mr. Pompom - like, consider it his own problem.

Also, well, we already know that Noriko is not entirely without any fault. Because she left Tedd.

You and I are not talking about the same thing. I am not saying the genealogy would not be available, although since you brought it up, that might not be a given, I'm saying they are dull reading, and unless you have a purpose, you won't bother. That purpose need not be deep, but it has to exist. You have to have some topic of interest.

Noriko might want a genealogy of someone to assess their wizardly pedigree, but she would first want to have a reason to think they might have one.

She might know about some existing wizard family from historical records and search if they have some living descendants and who would that be.

Maybe she even started with her own line - like, start searching for sibling of some person who married into her line in past and was success, then look for their descendants.

What do we actually know? Edward and Noriko knew each other in high school, and trained in use of their magic abilities, then got married. We don't know if they were attracted to each other and dated, other than sharing some common ground and experience. That can be enough, and this could have worked.

Edward blames Adrian for the divorce, at least in part, and Adrian blames himself, thinks he is responsible for Tedd not having a mother in the picture. Mrs. Kitsune blames her sister. It has something to do with Noriko choosing career over her marriage.

Mrs. Kitsune is on good terms with both Edward and with the magic police. Adrian is on bad terms with both Edward and Mrs. Kitsune. Everyone is out of touch with Noriko, and are seemingly not aware that she had another child.

Speculation; Edward and Noriko came to the attention of the magic police. Edward accepted their oversight and a job. Noriko went to Adrian for advice, and he gave her a narrow answer to not let them constrain her abilities, not seeing the consequences. Noriko left the country to avoid their oversight, in the process, ending her marriage, now seeing Edward not specifically as an enemy, but as part of something she wanted no part of. When the story unravels, Arthur attempts to have Adrian deported.

If this is the case, I'm thinking Adrian was not wrong, per Pandora's warning to Sarah about 'don't tell Edward'. Shortsighted, but not exactly wrong. 'He tried to deport me to Russia' would indicate that they can be heavy handed; 'I'm not even Russian', ham handed as well.

Could be possible. However, personally I think that at some point, Adrian used to be on good terms with DGB ; his magic is his own, but it would be hard for him to get Uryuom connections (like Noah and presumably Max) without DGB. Now, that could either be before Arthur tried to deport him to Russia, or after Edward was already the director ... or, maybe when someone THIRD was the director, before Arthur (who tried to deport him when at lower position than director) became director.

That would, of course, be hard to fit into timeline, and even harder if Noriko would never be part of DGB.

Meanwhile, I think Adrian blames himself directly over the fact that he failed to teach Noriko that her family is more important than magic. I think that he was not teaching just magic, but whole way of life, and THAT's the part where he thinks he failed.

Definitely looking forward to Dan's answers to this.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the person Pandora meant when she talked about someone with similar talent like Sarah being strongarmed into DGB was agent Cranium.

Yes, but Mrs. Kitsune is limited in how much she wants to tell Nanase.

True, she wouldn't be a good conduit to send messages to Nanase, it would blow her cover. Is that what you mean?

Yes.

Mrs. Kitsune needs to get the message to Nanase, but she can't be the one doing it and might actually contact DGB to make THEM contact Nanase if she knew what's going on. Which she possibly didn't, everything happened too quickly.

Or, maybe we are just overestimating his emotions.

I don't think so. That is not the face of a man saying, "Oh, yeah, go ahead and do that. Take your time."

Well, we started with "that face seem to be about strong emotion", tried to speculate what emotion might that be and were not satisfied with the possibilities. That DOES warrant going back to our assumptions.

Nanase shouldn't be THAT much scary, her mother is more likely if we think about directly threatening Arthur. But if it's about risk of doing something hard to conceal, both Nanase and Mrs. Kitsune might be on scary level, and maybe not just them.

(Meanwhile, Edward might be directly threatening Arthur, but I don't think he would do something hard to conceal.)

Meanwhile, I think Adrian blames himself directly over the fact that he failed to teach Noriko that her family is more important than magic. I think that he was not teaching just magic, but whole way of life, and THAT's the part where he thinks he failed.

I think so, too.