• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday, May 27, 2020

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Here is.

Looks like we are getting an explanation of the door knob click.  And it seems to be related to Tedd's mother.

I'm actually thinking that it is Nanase's mom here.

1: she's half-assing what she's trying to do, Pandora told Tedd that Nanase's mom could have been as good as Noriko if she was serious about it, the dialog here doesn't come across as being serious about what she's trying to accomplish.

2: the way she mocks Adrian, Adrian had said that he had remained friends with Edward and Noriko after school, also the interaction we saw between Noriko and Adrian  in regards to Tedd does not fit the behaviour we see here. We do know that Nanase's mom has a dislike for Adrian, it's entirely possible that this dialog, plus what Pandora said about Nanase's mom not taking magic seriously would indicate a dislike that goes beyond just what Adrian might have done to cause Edward and Noriko's divorce, what Nanase said about thinking Adrian was her least favorite teacher might be closer to the truth than she thought.

3: the mention of increasing calorie intake, Nanase is known to have a hefty apatite which she has stated allows her to burn calories to cast spells. mind you, yes it's likely Noriko has this ability too, but it's also likely Nanase's mom does as well, and...well... Nanase's mom looks like someone who's decreased their magic usage, but not her caloric intake.

Now why she'd be in Edward's house? Could be a number of reasons, babysitting Tedd is a possibility, though if it was before Tedd was born, maybe she was keeping an eye on the house for Edward and Noriko while they were away, or maybe she snuck in there to make use of materials Edward and Noriko had in order to make what she wanted. I think the door was actually not intended to be a door but Mama Kitsune goofed up the enchantments which resulted in the creation of a door. She also had to move the door to the basement and hide it so no questions would be asked, she also intended on coming back at some point to try to fix it, but it's entirely possible that after Edward and Noriko's divorce, Mama Kitsune didn't feel right about going back to Edward's house and of course ended up forgetting the door existed.

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

I'm not. Nanase's mom wouldn't have been living in the Verres house.

Actually, I suspect Noriko was already increasing her caloric intake because she was pregnant with Tedd. The big disappointment wouldn't come until after Tedd was born.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm not. Nanase's mom wouldn't have been living in the Verres house.

Actually, I suspect Noriko was already increasing her caloric intake because she was pregnant with Tedd. The big disappointment wouldn't come until after Tedd was born.

Did you read the rest of my post? I gave reasons why this person doesn't have to be living in the house to still be in the house.

I think it's Noriko mainly due to the last panel.  The way it was worded makes it sound like someone that lives in that house full time.

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I think it's Noriko mainly due to the last panel.  The way it was worded makes it sound like someone that lives in that house full time.

I would expect that if it was Noriko, what reason would she have of hiding what she did from Edward, if what she was trying to make was simply as an aid, some way of storing magic energy, it wouldn't have hurt her to ask Edward for help, either in fixing the enchantments, or removing the enchantments altogether so she could start fresh, heck Edward could have gone to Adrien himself and took whatever lecture about stacking enchantments (I think this is a reason why Dan decided to bring up stacking enchantments earlier in the story) from him instead of Noriko.

Also, there are only two time period where it's possible that Noriko would say stuff like this about Adrian, either during highschool, in which case she wouldn't be living in this house (unless of course her family owned the house before her and Edward got married, in which case it would help the Mama Kitsune theory rather than debunk it) or around the time her and Edward got divorced, and this person doesn't come across as someone who's about to leave Edward.

I had another idea about the door.  It's Kevin mark II.   It's a failed attempt at making a device that works now due to the not-change in magic.  

Edward obviously knows about the door, he told Tedd to only move it with burly men and didn't warn him about not doing magic in front of it, which means,  at least to Edward, it doesn't work and is therefore harmless.  It's possible that it hasn't dawned on him that he has a ticking time bomb magical item in his basement disguised as a door and mirror.  And I think it's both the door and the mirror that is the magic item as it was the door, not the mirror that made the clicking noise.

Another thought.  We've been assuming that the mystery person is female.  What if it's Edward at a younger age?  We know he knows about the door, so it's not like it was hidden from him, it's possible that he failed to enchant it, not one of the two sisters. 

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

And I think it's both the door and the mirror that is the magic item as it was the door, not the mirror that made the clicking noise.

Four enchantments. I've speculated that the mirror door might be a portal, or a surveillance device. At any rate, it's going to do something no one in the basement expects, maybe as soon as Friday's comic.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Four enchantments. I've speculated that the mirror door might be a portal, or a surveillance device. At any rate, it's going to do something no one in the basement expects, maybe as soon as Friday's comic.

Well, we know, in the meta sense that Grace is going to have to use her martial arts some time (The Dan says he knows who she is going to fight).  It's going to open a portal that allows a hostile in and the collected martial artists get to kick it's butt.   I really hope that's not what does happen mainly due to what that would do to Ashley.  While magic isn't exactly safe it would be nice to have a magical encounter that didn't result in combat for her.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

What if it's Edward at a younger age?

That fails the cheesecake test.

I eat cheesecake.  I'm male.  Granted I'm more likely to say fudge, but cheesecake is a high calorie food I eat so I might use that as an example.

I think the door is a spying device, where Noriko can observe what is happening to her son without being intrusive. It may have to do with some agreement she made to not interfere with his life that she is now regretting. OR maybe sharing of mirrors was part of their arrangement. It is the same door per the panel arrangement, but flipped vertically. perhaps the one in today's comic is part of a matched, linked set. 'FWOOM' sounds dangerous, and I think she'd not want to endanger Tedd nor his friends.

I do not get why it went dark though. Failure of something that was either providing light or needed dark to use. Maybe like a conventional one way mirror.

The two quotes in panel four are her imagining what Adrian would say in her head, which narrows down his nationality to 'for a long while, he considered himself to be British'.

Apatite  / Appetite

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I eat cheesecake.  I'm male.  Granted I'm more likely to say fudge, but cheesecake is a high calorie food I eat so I might use that as an example.

You thought of Noriko because Nanase eats to restore magic energy. You don't really believe it's Edward, do you? Besides, that arm in the last panel sure looks girly to me.

17 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I had another idea about the door.  It's Kevin mark II.   It's a failed attempt at making a device that works now due to the not-change in magic.  

This I certainly agree with, cus the person who made it had a concern of the door absorbing too much magic, with all that had gone on in the basement over the past year, it's either absorbed lots of magic by now, or has only been absorbing magic since the "not change". of course there may be a proximity factor that only come into play since the door was moved out into the open and has spells casted next to it.

20 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Edward obviously knows about the door, he told Tedd to only move it with burly men and didn't warn him about not doing magic in front of it, which means,  at least to Edward, it doesn't work and is therefore harmless.  It's possible that it hasn't dawned on him that he has a ticking time bomb magical item in his basement disguised as a door and mirror.  And I think it's both the door and the mirror that is the magic item as it was the door, not the mirror that made the clicking noise.

Can't be so sure about this, obviously the person who created it hid it in the basement with no intention of telling anyone about it, all Tedd said was that they found it cleaning and that Edward had forgotten it was there, but did Edward really forget it was there, or was he just assuming that he must he put it there and forgot about it?  Also if Edward knew the door was a failed attempt at enchanting, would he be inclined to allow Tedd and co to use it, not knowing what it could possibly do?  especially considering Kevin, a wand that was initially thought to be a failed project, unexpectedly coming to life, I'd expect Edward to be extremely wary of objects used in failed enchantments.

16 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Another thought.  We've been assuming that the mystery person is female.  What if it's Edward at a younger age?  We know he knows about the door, so it's not like it was hidden from him, it's possible that he failed to enchant it, not one of the two sisters. 

I don't expect Edward to have talked about Adrian in this manner either really, at least not until after the divorce. and again, we don't know if Edward knows if the door is anything but a door.

9 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Besides, that arm in the last panel sure looks girly to me.

To be honest it does to me as well.  But given the massive speculation about it being Nanase's mom, not Tedd's mom I thought I would point out we don't really know enough to make that call.  My gut feeling is it's Noriko, but I'm willing to be surprised about it.  It's also possible that we will never know because the door is going to do whatever it is it does and there will not be any more explanation about it.  The Dan has been known to do that sort of thing before.

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

You thought of Noriko because Nanase eats to restore magic energy. You don't really believe it's Edward, do you? Besides, that arm in the last panel sure looks girly to me.

I agree on the arm. Also Nanase's mom's arm would look heavier, no? Don't know the movie reference; clue, please. I dont think she lives in their house, I think she's skrying through the mirror(s). The ravenous from the use of magic is a thing; Nanase's done it, and Grace just recently. Not merely a family trait.

17 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I do not get why it went dark though.

Maybe it wasn't really dark. Dan only gives us the silhouette of one comely arm in the lass panel to represent the speaker. The point is to not identify her. Or him. You know, like that flashback that Susan had with her father's face blacked out.

Maybe the mirror door was supposed to be something like Tedd's glove--not the gauntlet like Lord Tedd's but the simpler glove he uses to enchant his watches. Adding a sort of magical battery to store up energy (which is something the gauntlet does) sounds like a pretty good idea--if it's reliable.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe it wasn't really dark. Dan only gives us the silhouette of one comely arm in the lass panel to represent the speaker. The point is to not identify her. Or him. You know, like that flashback that Susan had with her father's face blacked out.

Maybe the mirror door was supposed to be something like Tedd's glove--not the gauntlet like Lord Tedd's but the simpler glove he uses to enchant his watches. Adding a sort of magical battery to store up energy (which is something the gauntlet does) sounds like a pretty good idea--if it's reliable.

Specifically the dark in panels two and three.

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Specifically the dark in panels two and three.

Or it might mean that the FWOOSH! tripped the circuit breakers. But Dan really went for more of a surrealistic, dreamlike look in this comic. Black panels fit that theme. He did make it clear in in the last two panels that the owner of that comely arm is levitating the mirror door.

21 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Seems like that it could hold a lot of energy, based on the amount of energy that a wand holds.   Assuming it takes energy when a spell is cast in front of it, with the cover off the mirror, that would mean it would have taken energy from everything not Grace related from the time that Diane changed Ashley's hair color.  That's not really that many spells.

First, I would say that Edward, Noriko and Nanase's mom are only ones who would fit. I think that introducing new character would be weird and anyone else already established sounds unlikely to be there.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Looks like we are getting an explanation of the door knob click.

Finally.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

1: she's half-assing what she's trying to do, Pandora told Tedd that Nanase's mom could have been as good as Noriko if she was serious about it, the dialog here doesn't come across as being serious about what she's trying to accomplish.

2: the way she mocks Adrian, Adrian had said that he had remained friends with Edward and Noriko after school, also the interaction we saw between Noriko and Adrian  in regards to Tedd does not fit the behaviour we see here. We do know that Nanase's mom has a dislike for Adrian, it's entirely possible that this dialog, plus what Pandora said about Nanase's mom not taking magic seriously would indicate a dislike that goes beyond just what Adrian might have done to cause Edward and Noriko's divorce, what Nanase said about thinking Adrian was her least favorite teacher might be closer to the truth than she thought.

3: the mention of increasing calorie intake, Nanase is known to have a hefty apatite which she has stated allows her to burn calories to cast spells. mind you, yes it's likely Noriko has this ability too, but it's also likely Nanase's mom does as well, and...well... Nanase's mom looks like someone who's decreased their magic usage, but not her caloric intake.

Makes lot of sense and I agree she sounds most likely to me.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

unless of course her family owned the house before her and Edward got married, in which case it would help the Mama Kitsune theory rather than debunk it

With the additional note that I believe the reason she was there was that it used to be their family's house before Edward and Noriko married. She probably forgot about the mirror before that happened.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

And I think it's both the door and the mirror that is the magic item as it was the door, not the mirror that made the clicking noise.

Four enchantments. Could be both.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

This I certainly agree with, cus the person who made it had a concern of the door absorbing too much magic, with all that had gone on in the basement over the past year, it's either absorbed lots of magic by now, or has only been absorbing magic since the "not change". of course there may be a proximity factor that only come into play since the door was moved out into the open and has spells casted next to it.

There is proximity factor, yes ... but also yes, four enchantments - it's possible the absorbing of magic works but some other part only started working after magic not-a-change.

58 minutes ago, mlooney said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Besides, that arm in the last panel sure looks girly to me.

To be honest it does to me as well.  But given the massive speculation about it being Nanase's mom, not Tedd's mom I thought I would point out we don't really know enough to make that call.  My gut feeling is it's Noriko, but I'm willing to be surprised about it.  It's also possible that we will never know because the door is going to do whatever it is it does and there will not be any more explanation about it.  The Dan has been known to do that sort of thing before.

Really?
I would expect that EVENTUALLY we will find out. But can take years.

28 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Seems like that it could hold a lot of energy, based on the amount of energy that a wand holds.   Assuming it takes energy when a spell is cast in front of it, with the cover off the mirror, that would mean it would have taken energy from everything not Grace related from the time that Diane changed Ashley's hair color.  That's not really that many spells.

Actually, even from Grace changing her clothes.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I think the door is a spying device, where Noriko can observe what is happening to her son without being intrusive. It may have to do with some agreement she made to not interfere with his life that she is now regretting. OR maybe sharing of mirrors was part of their arrangement. It is the same door per the panel arrangement, but flipped vertically. perhaps the one in today's comic is part of a matched, linked set. 'FWOOM' sounds dangerous, and I think she'd not want to endanger Tedd nor his friends.

Noriko is IMHO second possibility and this WOULD make sense ... except I don't believe this happened after Tedd was found to lack magic.

Although ... maybe it happened while she was pregnant with Tedd, already knew about it and was preparing for observing him in different context than going to Europe and never return? And isn't pregnancy causing mood swings?

BTW, yes it looks mirrored but that MIGHT be art error.