• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

She still has an active connection to the Department of Magic Denial, and is actively hiding her knowledge from her daughter, with their cooperation. Also they are more aware of her than just as an occasional run in during magic incidents involving monster hunting and her being Edwards niece.

Given Arthur's reaction when Ellen demanded she call Nanase, I wouldn't be surprised if DBG is well aware of Noriko's family and has a "don't mess with them lest we incur the wrath of Noriko and/or Edward" policy, Edward is included since we've seen how Edward responded to Nanase being hurt, it's pretty clear he still considers the Kitsunes family despite Noriko's behaviour.

Just now, mlooney said:

Noriko was looking for Tedd to be a wizard.  Nanase is a powerful magic user, but she's not a wizard.  Might tend to dampen any desire to make her a magical heir.

Nanase probably doesn't need to fit the bill as a Wizard to still fill the role as apprentice, it could still be possible to train Nanase in a way that has her develop appropriate spells, we know Nanase got a bunch of disguise and stealth and decoy spells because she spent a lot of time hiding, which put her in the mindset for getting related spells, all Noriko would have needed to do was get Nanase in the mindset of monster hunting rather than hiding.

13 hours ago, mlooney said:

So his "native" accent sound like an appalachian hillbilly?  That is what most people who claim to know what early modern English sounds like say it is closest to.

Truth. 'Ain't' is a proper contraction of 'am not'.

I knew a guy that had a Masters in Middle English; he worked in a bike shop until the got a second Masters in statistics, then he went to work an the large baseline phased array radio telescope in Socorro NM, the one that you see in movies occasionally. It isn't far south of Albuqueque.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Nanase probably doesn't need to fit the bill as a Wizard to still fill the role as apprentice, it could still be possible to train Nanase in a way that has her develop appropriate spells, we know Nanase got a bunch of disguise and stealth and decoy spells because she spent a lot of time hiding, which put her in the mindset for getting related spells, all Noriko would have needed to do was get Nanase in the mindset of monster hunting rather than hiding.

She would not have been in the mind set of hiding if her family was open about the use of magic.  Most of her hiding was due to the fact that her parents "didn't know" about her magic.  And of course her being in the closet, but that is a whole other can of kittens.  Assuming her mother would have let Noriko train Nanase, it's highly likely that she would end up with offensive spells, you're right there.

13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Jean Luc Picard is FRENCH who is famous of drinking tea.

... and speaks with a British accent. It's obvious, sometime between now and the future portrayed in Star Trek, Britain successfully invaded France.

(Adrian) And yes ; he might keep the Britishness to cover his other eccentricities, like having a sword - I mean cane.

Swords are useful. They don't run out of ammo. I was just reading about a guy in WW I who successfully held off a couple of squads of Germans using his empty rifle as a club, then using a heavy bladed knife when the gun fell apart. A blade was likely the first weapon Adrian learned to use.

I don't think Noriko was sleeping with Adrian. I don't believe Adrian would do it. I find plausible Noriko tried.

I would be curious to see the backstory. My impression of Noriko is that she is principled, but we haven't really seen.

I find very suspicious that someone today (with possible exception of Adrian) would know how English sounded at that time, or, for that matter, how should you correctly pronounce hieroglyphs.

I believe this is based on written word usage, and you're right, that does not tell you how it sounds. Not my field, there may be other clues. Seems like it should be easier than reconstructing dinosaur behavior from fossils, yet we do that (degree of success not verifiable).

13 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

Also wouldn't be surprised if he already knows Uromoco.

He knows what Noah is and has a 'cat' similar to Jeremy, so yes, he knows about the aliens, and might be able to speak their language, especially if they took a second to train him.

13 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

This is true, yes. I can therefore also see her recently-divorced self being attracted to Mr. Pompom's also-recently-divorced self... [insert grining sweat-drop emoji here]

Really not seeing this as an option. She left her family for her career, details why this was necessary not elaborated to date, but I don't see her treating abandoning her child lightly. I don't see her engaging in further entanglements unnecessarily. Presumably, whoever she eventually hooked up later with could further her or not hinder her; possibly, she was already pregnant with Van, and is still single. Even possible she wanted an apprentice, and used someone or a sperm bank to get pregnant without establishing a relationship. Seems more in character for the obsessed career monster hunting mage girl, don't you think?

The word you search for is Heka, but it's not certain if it was his NAME. Could be title or job position. In any case, only he gave.

What the Heka?

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

We have not in canon evidence that Adrian teaches magic to any one other than Noah.  If he did he would have offered training to Ellen by this time.  Of course it's possible that he only trains, vs looks after, wizards and none of the main cast are wizards.  Of course that brings up Jay and why isn't she one of his favorite students, or is she and we just haven't seen it yet?

He did train students. He may have stopped entirely, based on what happened, but he seemed like he had some openness to training them on a couple of occasions. I think he's going to get dragged back into the role, perhaps against his better judgement.

Jay may be an exception, perhaps there are character flaws that put him off. It is also possible that he's never met her; she may not have taken his classes (for the most part, history was optional in my high school; I took as little of it as I could; my class load was already heavy). You'd think he's passively sense her, but maybe not, he's rarely not cloaked in his 'old man' form.

Noriko was looking for Tedd to be a wizard.  Nanase is a powerful magic user, but she's not a wizard.  Might tend to dampen any desire to make her a magical heir.

This is true, but it might matter why she wanted him to be a wizard. If she was looking for someone to train, she could see training a wizard with her spells to fight monsters. If Nanase had a natural affinity for the same thing, that might accomplish Noriko's purpose.

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Given Arthur's reaction when Ellen demanded she call Nanase, I wouldn't be surprised if DBG is well aware of Noriko's family and has a "don't mess with them lest we incur the wrath of Noriko and/or Edward" policy, Edward is included since we've seen how Edward responded to Nanase being hurt, it's pretty clear he still considers the Kitsunes family despite Noriko's behaviour.

I agree about Edward's point of view. Authur's reaction seems extreme even for that; he's treating Nanase like she's the eye of a storm, a big one. Well, not directly, but you know what I mean, through Ellen.

56 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I said something very similar, just a few minutes ago.

44 minutes ago, mlooney said:

... but that is a whole other can of kittens ...

This seems like a impractical method of kitten distribution. Unless you were thinking more along the lines of Campbell's Kitten and Mushroom. But that is a whole other can of kittens, both as an expression and literally.

28 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

.. but that is a whole other can of kittens ...

This seems like a impractical method of kitten distribution. Unless you were thinking more along the lines of Campbell's Kitten and Mushroom. But that is a whole other can of kittens, both as an expression and literally.

A few years ago I was part of a group of people that decided that "kitten" was the correct animal type that you should use in place of other animals in expressions, hence instead of kettle of fish or barrel of monkeys you had a kettle of kittens or a barrel of kittens.  Can of kittens came out of that group.  I still tend to use the kitten versions most of the time.

51 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

He did train students.

Other than Noah, do you have a link to a canon source for that?

I can research it tonight, if you need me to. Do you not recall that he trained Edward and Noriko?

A few years ago I was part of a group of people that decided that "kitten" was the correct animal type that you should use in place of other animals in expressions, hence instead of kettle of fish or barrel of monkeys you had a kettle of kittens or a barrel of kittens.  Can of kittens came out of that group.  I still tend to use the kitten versions most of the time.

I'm not coming to your house for dinner.

46 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I can research it tonight, if you need me to. Do you not recall that he trained Edward and Noriko?

Let's not forget this moment, it's pretty safe to assume that magic wasn't part of the school's curriculum, but it's not difficult to believe that Adrian took Edward and Noriko under his wing in after school training, just ever since what happened with Edward and Noriko, he's limited himself to just trying to ensure gifted students are pushed to excel at normal school studies. Noah being an exception due to living with Adrian, and I kinda wonder if Adrian was reluctant in allowing Noah to learn magic for revenge.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Let's not forget this moment, it's pretty safe to assume that magic wasn't part of the school's curriculum, but it's not difficult to believe that Adrian took Edward and Noriko under his wing in after school training, just ever since what happened with Edward and Noriko, he's limited himself to just trying to ensure gifted students are pushed to excel at normal school studies. Noah being an exception due to living with Adrian, and I kinda wonder if Adrian was reluctant in allowing Noah to learn magic for revenge.

I can live with that.  

On 6/1/2020 at 3:54 AM, Kazzellin said:

We don't have a set time for age when Tedd's parents divorced, though we can assume one for Susan's. The youngest we've seen Tedd was with the bit with William and Jillian, and that was apparently long enough a time that Edward was concerned about how reserved and quiet Tedd was being.

We don't have set time, but Noriko was already disappointed with Tedd as baby. I think it didn't take that long from that to the divorce. Also, it seems that Tedd's memories of divorce are not really clear, although that might be due to trauma.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:54 AM, Kazzellin said:

I think that depends on how much of Mr. Pompom's Edward would have seen. Also, if he was already upset about the divorce, he'd likely not be thinking logically if he thought his wife and his friend had betrayed his trust in that manner (conclusion jumping is alive and well).

I can see him not thinking logically. I can't see him still not know better after years.

21 hours ago, ijuin said:

Seriously, have you LOOKED at the distribution of accents within England itself prior to motor transportation and sound recording/transmission? Just about every city or county of note had its own distinctive accent--Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol, London, etc. etc. We tend to forget that, back in the days when people walked everywhere (or rode a horse if they were wealthy enough), even a "small" country like England took a month to cross.

.... and distances like that were enough for separate LANGUAGES in rest of Europe.

18 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
On 5/28/2020 at 1:44 AM, mlooney said:

I really hope that's not what does happen mainly due to what that would do to Ashley.  While magic isn't exactly safe it would be nice to have a magical encounter that didn't result in combat for her.

... which was foreshadowed by Liz ...

Well, yes.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Mama Kitsune may have developed a distaste for things British because Noriko moved there, although she probably also blames Adrian for the divorce, and that would be a factor as well.

I don't think the timeline would match. However, it is still possible that there is relation - Mama Kitsune might developed a distaste for British because Noriko liked them, and that's why Noriko moved to Britain ...

She still has an active connection to the Department of Magic Denial, and is actively hiding her knowledge from her daughter, with their cooperation. Also they are more aware of her than just as an occasional run in during magic incidents involving monster hunting and her being Edwards niece.

Given all of this, and that she goes to the same high school as her aunt and mom, it is odd that Adrian has not approached her to train her, unless that was previously addressed and prohibited by the other parties involved, especially Mama Kitsune.

I definitely think Adrian was specifically prohibited from training Nanase by Mama Kitsune.

I hope at some point we are privy to this back story.

Indeed. Looking forward to it. Although it's possible we don't get the details no matter how much I would like to.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

We have not in canon evidence that Adrian teaches magic to any one other than Noah.  If he did he would have offered training to Ellen by this time.  Of course it's possible that he only trains, vs looks after, wizards and none of the main cast are wizards.  Of course that brings up Jay and why isn't she one of his favorite students, or is she and we just haven't seen it yet?

He had how much time for it? He might not be that fast - remember that he can taste magic so he may be evaluating her progress and thinks she's getting well on her own (well, with Nanase) and he doesn't need to teach her yet.

Or maybe he realized Ellen is connected to Edward and assumes Edward is training her and don't want to interfere. Or, maybe it's Ellen's connection to Nanase which makes him careful.

... and that. If nothing else, it could have started innocently; "What's that, Auntie Noriko?" "Oh, it's just a  ... Oh, my ..." or "What'cha doing to Tedd? That makes a lot of noise," "Yes it does, Honey, ... <turns toward Nanase to speak to her, meter goes wild>  ... Oh, my ...".

I don't think Nanase was SPEAKING at that time yet.
I mean, the timeline is not clear so it's possible, but I suspect that she scanned Nanase not that long later than Tedd.

Good point. However, it makes very much sense Noriko wanted to know that.

... and idioms ... you know, things to reference 'flip-side' to are becoming scarce. Some day not far off, they may need a Wikipedia article to explain it. I once used the expression 'you sound like a broken record' to my children. I had to explain what a record was, painfully explaining, "It's like a diskette". Talk about backward, but it made sense to them. But my grand kids will have never seen a diskette.

Idioms related to technology don't age well, yes ... note that you failed with the "diskette". They should know CD-ROM (well, DVD) and that makes much better analogy (to vinyl, which is source of the "broken record" idiom). Not sure what to do with grand kids, though, they may not know DVDs either.
Also, well, there already IS a wikipedia redirect for broken record.
On the other hand, diskette may remain forever as icon for saving, long after noone would know WHY that icon represent saving.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Of course they are well aware of Noriko's family. EVERYONE in magic community is aware of Noriko. Even total strangers like Jerry knows about Edward, Noriko AND that it's not good idea to talk about Noriko to someone connected to Tedd.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Noriko would probably settle for strong magic user if it would be her child, but if it's not her child in addition to that, trying again makes more sense.

16 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
On 6/1/2020 at 3:01 AM, hkmaly said:

... and speaks with a British accent. It's obvious, sometime between now and the future portrayed in Star Trek, Britain successfully invaded France.

Actually, maybe it happened back in '90 during eugenic wars.

We already diverted.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:08 AM, Kazzellin said:

Also wouldn't be surprised if he already knows Uromoco.

He knows what Noah is and has a 'cat' similar to Jeremy, so yes, he knows about the aliens, and might be able to speak their language, especially if they took a second to train him.

It's obvious Adrian does, but I think that sentence was about Susan's father.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:08 AM, Kazzellin said:

This is true, yes. I can therefore also see her recently-divorced self being attracted to Mr. Pompom's also-recently-divorced self... [insert grining sweat-drop emoji here]

Really not seeing this as an option. She left her family for her career, details why this was necessary not elaborated to date, but I don't see her treating abandoning her child lightly. I don't see her engaging in further entanglements unnecessarily. Presumably, whoever she eventually hooked up later with could further her or not hinder her; possibly, she was already pregnant with Van, and is still single. Even possible she wanted an apprentice, and used someone or a sperm bank to get pregnant without establishing a relationship. Seems more in character for the obsessed career monster hunting mage girl, don't you think?

Well ... yes, she might fake being attracted and only used Mr. Pompom as sperm bank because he has correct lineage, yes.

Authur's reaction seems extreme even for that; he's treating Nanase like she's the eye of a storm, a big one. Well, not directly, but you know what I mean, through Ellen.

Arthur might have good reason to be specifically afraid of Mrs. Kitsune.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

Edward, Noriko AND Mrs. Kitsune, almost certainly. Just ... Mrs. Kitsune left earlier.
He might be trying to limit himself like that, but I think it's a temptation he would eventually fail to resist. Maybe he would already be teaching Grace if her connection to Edward didn't reminded him WHY he decided to not train another group.

Also, as I already mentioned, he may be observing closely their progress.
And I think it was even MENTIONED somewhere that he didn't agreed with Noah's pursuing revenge. But, like ... he probably decided that teaching him AND trying to talk him out of it is better idea than to let him go unprepared. Must be centuries of experience speaking.

52 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Idioms related to technology don't age well, yes ... note that you failed with the "diskette". They should know CD-ROM (well, DVD) and that makes much better analogy (to vinyl, which is source of the "broken record" idiom). Not sure what to do with grand kids, though, they may not know DVDs either.

On the other hand, diskette may remain forever as icon for saving, long after noone would know WHY that icon represent saving.

Yes, and if they were children today, I might do that. You may have noticed that I mention grand kids occasionally, and did so here.

This happened decades ago, the thought of which is weird to me, because it happened here, and it hits me how long I've lived in this area. They had a hand me down PC from when I upgraded. It did not have a CD Rom drive; software was still distributed or at least available on diskette. We had a CD player, but it had a large rotary bank, and once loaded, you did not see the CDs. We did not have home Internet yet, it was not yet a common commodity. This would have been early Wikipedia, which wasn't nearly as fleshed out as it is today, though I could not tell you if 'broken record' had an entry then or not.

It is interesting, you essentially did what we are discussing, imagined this entire scenario in present terms.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I tend to forget about him. 'Looks like Adrian Raven', is that sufficient evidence that he is the source of Susan's magic lineage?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well ... yes, she might fake being attracted and only used Mr. Pompom as sperm bank because he has correct lineage, yes.

How would she know that? And why would that make more sense than trying again with Edward? (... in hindsight, they were quite successful creating a wizard, so it wouldn't be 'we're magically incompatible; but she might have thought so.)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Interesting idea. Yet she specifically does not want her daughter to know she has magic abilities. You'd think she'd train her herself. Mama Kitsune, what is going on in your head.?

Afraid of her, probably not, they have good resources. Not wanting to piss her off because of past events seems likely, like how they checked in with her about what they told Nanase in the hospital.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, and if they were children today, I might do that. You may have noticed that I mention grand kids occasionally, and did so here.

This happened decades ago, the thought of which is weird to me, because it happened here, and it hits me how long I've lived in this area. They had a hand me down PC from when I upgraded. It did not have a CD Rom drive; software was still distributed or at least available on diskette. We had a CD player, but it had a large rotary bank, and once loaded, you did not see the CDs. We did not have home Internet yet, it was not yet a common commodity. This would have been early Wikipedia, which wasn't nearly as fleshed out as it is today, though I could not tell you if 'broken record' had an entry then or not.

It is interesting, you essentially did what we are discussing, imagined this entire scenario in present terms.

Not present exactly, but seems I didn't guessed correctly when it happened, yes.
I though that vinyl stayed relatively known until CDs mostly replaced it, but maybe not.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I tend to forget about him. 'Looks like Adrian Raven', is that sufficient evidence that he is the source of Susan's magic lineage?

Not sufficient, but it's quite big hint ...

How would she know that?

Magic.

I mean some spell like Luke's.

Or like actually studying genealogy of magic user families.

Remember this is all based on idea that Mr. Pompom was awakened magic user.

And why would that make more sense than trying again with Edward? (... in hindsight, they were quite successful creating a wizard, so it wouldn't be 'we're magically incompatible; but she might have thought so.)

Probably because Edward said no.

I mean, I can easily imagine that they got into arguments which eventually ended with divorce BECAUSE Noriko wanted to try again as soon as possible and was not diplomatic enough about that, while Edward was not so eager and, like, had doubts about Tedd getting enough care in such case.

(Sure, there are families which have no issues with having two children close to each other, but that doesn't mean Edward wasn't worried about that.)

Interesting idea. Yet she specifically does not want her daughter to know she has magic abilities. You'd think she'd train her herself. Mama Kitsune, what is going on in your head.?

Afraid of her, probably not, they have good resources. Not wanting to piss her off because of past events seems likely, like how they checked in with her about what they told Nanase in the hospital.

We know - from Pandora - that Mrs. Kitsune is not as experienced magic user as Noriko. However, she may still be dangerous ... and possibly dangerous DUE to her low experience - she may have control problems and Arthur might be worried that if she WILL get angry and uses magic it will be hard to hide.

Or, maybe it's not about magic but about connections she have.

Like, sure, how they checked in with her when Nanase in hospital made sense even just because she's her legal guardian (and parent). But I agree with what you said about his reaction being surprisingly extreme for that. So I'm trying to find reasons for THAT.

If he would be afraid of Edward, he could just call Edward. Noriko is out of contact anyway. But specifically reacting this way about calling Nanase, it seems it's either due to Nanase ... or due to Mrs. Kitsune and her reaction on Nanase possibly doing something harsh.

Not present exactly, but seems I didn't guessed correctly when it happened, yes.
I though that vinyl stayed relatively known until CDs mostly replaced it, but maybe not.

... and weirdly making a comeback. The hobbyists that play vinyl today are more likely to be very careful with it, so fewer instances of skipping records.

There is a technique using a laser to read the groove rather than a needle that you can basically skip over the crack, even play a record that's been put back together. It was purchasable long ago, maybe someone still makes one.

It should also be possible to image the entire record and then calculate the playing, again, skipping defects.

Vinyl records have the advantage of being more robust in questionable storage than CDs are. And not just vinyl, I had some very old records that were my dad's when he was little, and they were not vinyl. They sounded off, tinny, but were understandable, and you could follow the tune. Even the old hard wax cylinders remain playable, if you treat them with kid gloves.

Not sufficient, but it's quite big hint ...

It is that.

Magic - I mean some spell like Luke's.

If Noriko knew that much about him, she would have known he was married. My unfounded impression of her is that she would have been thorough enough to secure his wife's permission to use him as a sperm donor and not just cheated with him. <shrug>

... if a genealogy was available, Adrian would have know more of his own descendants; recall, he did not even think it was possible.

A genealogy would not have when someone awakened; even if they thought to include such information, the conspiracy against magic disclosure would have caused this to be avoided. But it might be deducible from activities. It would make more sense to work the other way around, notice the awakened activities, then investigate the genealogy.

We don't know that Noriko had a spell like Lukes, nor do we know she didn't. I think, presumably, the Ministry of Magic Department has some means of detecting magic usage or potential, more things on the order of the wand they used on Tedd.

It is quite possible he was simply a coworker. I don't recall that it's been stated in-canon what he does.

Probably because Edward said no.

I mean, I can easily imagine that they got into arguments which eventually ended with divorce BECAUSE Noriko wanted to try again as soon as possible and was not diplomatic enough about that, while Edward was not so eager and, like, had doubts about Tedd getting enough care in such case.

(Sure, there are families which have no issues with having two children close to each other, but that doesn't mean Edward wasn't worried about that.)

That doesn't fit what we know about Edward. He's known to be diplomatic; granted, that might not carry over into his personal life. He's also on good terms with Mama Kitsune; she allows Nanase to visit, and cares about Tedd. That seems unlikely if this was a simple case of him disagreeing with her sister.

It is possible that they only married because 'we work well together, we're a great team', but no emotional connection, no chemistry, or maybe it was one sided. I could see Edward not wanting to drag another child into that.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

We know - from Pandora - that Mrs. Kitsune is not as experienced magic user as Noriko. However, she may still be dangerous ... and possibly dangerous DUE to her low experience - she may have control problems and Arthur might be worried that if she WILL get angry and uses magic it will be hard to hide.

Or, maybe it's not about magic but about connections she have.

Like, sure, how they checked in with her when Nanase in hospital made sense even just because she's her legal guardian (and parent). But I agree with what you said about his reaction being surprisingly extreme for that. So I'm trying to find reasons for THAT.

If he would be afraid of Edward, he could just call Edward. Noriko is out of contact anyway. But specifically reacting this way about calling Nanase, it seems it's either due to Nanase ... or due to Mrs. Kitsune and her reaction on Nanase possibly doing something harsh.

I agree with her lack of experience might be the hazard.

Agent Cranium consulted with Mrs. Kitsune about what they told Nanase. Arthur can get in touch if he needs to.

OTOH, her involvement as part of the 'hazard' is conjecture, she wasn't mentioned, so maybe she's not a factor?

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:
On 6/1/2020 at 8:39 AM, Darth Fluffy said:
On 5/31/2020 at 7:01 PM, hkmaly said:

Actually, maybe it happened back in '90 during eugenic wars.

Alternative explanation: the people he learned English from were British. That happens a lot in Europe, for some reason.

(Now why my high school had a teacher who was born & raised in Paris, hired as a foreign-language teacher, and had her teaching nothing but English...)

19 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

... and weirdly making a comeback. The hobbyists that play vinyl today are more likely to be very careful with it, so fewer instances of skipping records.

There is a technique using a laser to read the groove rather than a needle that you can basically skip over the crack, even play a record that's been put back together. It was purchasable long ago, maybe someone still makes one.

It should also be possible to image the entire record and then calculate the playing, again, skipping defects.

Or you can download the music from net :)

Vinyl records have the advantage of being more robust in questionable storage than CDs are. And not just vinyl, I had some very old records that were my dad's when he was little, and they were not vinyl. They sounded off, tinny, but were understandable, and you could follow the tune. Even the old hard wax cylinders remain playable, if you treat them with kid gloves.

That's because CDs are not really designed for that. Well, MOST CDs, there are actually special archive CDs ... but in general, they didn't even tried. Technologically, you can actually create VERY robust CDs if you press them and don't use the usual materials.

23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Magic - I mean some spell like Luke's.

If Noriko knew that much about him, she would have known he was married. My unfounded impression of her is that she would have been thorough enough to secure his wife's permission to use him as a sperm donor and not just cheated with him. <shrug>

The idea that she would somehow miss she's having sex with married man didn't even occurred to me. I though she just didn't cared.

.. if a genealogy was available, Adrian would have know more of his own descendants; recall, he did not even think it was possible.

That only means there is limit how far into past the genealogy goes.

For example, Noriko's family have pretty long records ...

A genealogy would not have when someone awakened; even if they thought to include such information, the conspiracy against magic disclosure would have caused this to be avoided. But it might be deducible from activities. It would make more sense to work the other way around, notice the awakened activities, then investigate the genealogy.

Not the public one.

We don't know that Noriko had a spell like Lukes, nor do we know she didn't. I think, presumably, the Ministry of Magic Department has some means of detecting magic usage or potential, more things on the order of the wand they used on Tedd.

We know she's wizard. It would be very useful for her to have some. Remember that Edward does have spell he used to evaluate Elliot's transformation.

It is quite possible he was simply a coworker. I don't recall that it's been stated in-canon what he does.

... or that, yes.

23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That doesn't fit what we know about Edward. He's known to be diplomatic; granted, that might not carry over into his personal life. He's also on good terms with Mama Kitsune; she allows Nanase to visit, and cares about Tedd. That seems unlikely if this was a simple case of him disagreeing with her sister.

It is possible that they only married because 'we work well together, we're a great team', but no emotional connection, no chemistry, or maybe it was one sided. I could see Edward not wanting to drag another child into that.

We know that he's quote emotional in personal life, remember how he reacted to Nanase being in danger.

Also, I said that the arguments STARTED that way. Then the general issue of Noriko wanting to give more importance to career than personal life AND the fact that she considers child part of her career would appear ...

And regarding the marriage ... the emotional connection might be there originally but later disappeared. There ARE cases like this, and arguing about something will make it REALLY apparent.

Agent Cranium consulted with Mrs. Kitsune about what they told Nanase. Arthur can get in touch if he needs to.

Yes, but Mrs. Kitsune is limited in how much she wants to tell Nanase.

OTOH, her involvement as part of the 'hazard' is conjecture, she wasn't mentioned, so maybe she's not a factor?

It's obviously just my speculation. There are alternatives, like maybe he's just that afraid of Nanase (doing something stupid) herself.

Or, maybe we are just overestimating his emotions.