• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Thursday, May 28, 2020

30 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Oh, look, you got your wish!

Now if we can get a faster resolution of the plot I will be a happy camper.

29 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Oh, yeah, forgot, you dm.

I'm not DMing the game I'm in right now.  First time in like 15 years to be just a player.

So, Arthur again decided he waited too long. Not that I'm complaining, but I wonder how is he deciding that.

Also, considering in most games SEASONS depend on plot progress as well, if not WEATHER, I think most of population would NOT be satisfied with stopped progress. I know what's my opinion on weather staying same too long. And that's ignoring the question of how long will it take to run out of food with no season changes. Wait, running out of food can't happen unless plot progress, so THAT is not an issue.

Time's not actually passing for anybody who isn't interacting with the player character or the plot-important NPCs, so they wouldn't notice.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

Time's not actually passing for anybody who isn't interacting with the player character or the plot-important NPCs, so they wouldn't notice.

Back before it went 64bit only and stopped being playable via WINE on a Linux box, that was one of the things I really liked about Eve:online.  Time passes regardless of who or what is near you.  There are major game play issues that happen on a timed basis and if you or your faction isn't ready when the timer ends, to freaking bad.

Just now, mlooney said:

Back before it went 64bit only and stopped being playable via WINE on a Linux box, that was one of the things I really liked about Eve:online.  Time passes regardless of who or what is near you.  There are major game play issues that happen on a timed basis and if you or your faction isn't ready when the timer ends, to freaking bad.

From what I remember about Eve in terms of time based events was whenever corp/alliance execs planned POS takedowns during times when the enemy was likely to be sleeping.

Just now, Scotty said:

From what I remember about Eve in terms of time based events was whenever corp/alliance execs planned POS takedowns during times when the enemy was likely to be sleeping.

Well, that too.  Sort of goes to show that time passes when you aren't there.

Just now, mlooney said:

Yeah, but that's mainly because Eve has been for the most part 90% player driven. though from what I hear, the latest update has introduced a new NPC faction that will actively conquer systems in all parts of space, and players can either join them, or fight them, so that could add a new dynamic to the game.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, but that's mainly because Eve has been for the most part 90% player driven. though from what I hear, the latest update has introduced a new NPC faction that will actively conquer systems in all parts of space, and players can either join them, or fight them, so that could add a new dynamic to the game.

Yeah, they were adding that in just as they made it 64bit and I really haven't had a chance to try it again.  If we get a 2nd covid-19 check, I may buy a computer to run it and DAZ-3D on.  I've got a windows laptop but when I ran Eve on it it was very low res and slow, slower even than it was under WINE on Godzilla the butt warmer.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, they were adding that in just as they made it 64bit and I really haven't had a chance to try it again.  If we get a 2nd covid-19 check, I may buy a computer to run it and DAZ-3D on.  I've got a windows laptop but when I ran Eve on it it was very low res and slow, slower even than it was under WINE on Godzilla the butt warmer.

Check 6.5.4 and 6.5.3 in the WINE FAQ, it may be what you are looking to do.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

They are paying rent. Time IS sort of passing for them.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, mlooney said:

... are players quitting the game so there is not enough player-driven factions or are the player-driven factions too clever so they need some easy target?

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What has our Plot-Vehicle Conductor been doing for the last n strips?

... and with WHOM? :)

... it seems obvious that he has something else to do in addition to pushing player. Not much of it, but something. Unless he was searching for Susan between her decoys again. The cheats off could fool him.

58 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Check 6.5.4 and 6.5.3 in the WINE FAQ, it may be what you are looking to do.

It definitely isn't. This is for cases when the game stayed 32bit but the computer didn't.

I have no experience with Eve online, but I guess the switch to 64bit was accompanies by changes in engine the wine doesn't support yet. Or Godzilla the butt warmer is 32bit.

21 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It definitely isn't. This is for cases when the game stayed 32bit but the computer didn't.

I have no experience with Eve online, but I guess the switch to 64bit was accompanies by changes in engine the wine doesn't support yet. Or Godzilla the butt warmer is 32bit.

Yes, but there wouldn't be much issue going that way; you just flat out couldn't run 64 bit stuff; because, Wine Is Not an Emulator, so no support for 64 bit if you aren't already 64 bit (which would suck anyway).

The bulk of what you'd want to do still has 32 bit support. Eve Online should. DAZ-3D I could see moving to 64 bit exclusively; nope, supports 32 bit. <shrug>

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I have no experience with Eve online, but I guess the switch to 64bit was accompanies by changes in engine the wine doesn't support yet. Or Godzilla the butt warmer is 32bit

Godzilla the butt warmer is 64bit, and other than WINE and it's support libraries has always been 64 bit.

47 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yes, but there wouldn't be much issue going that way; you just flat out couldn't run 64 bit stuff; because, Wine Is Not an Emulator, so no support for 64 bit if you aren't already 64 bit (which would suck anyway).

The bulk of what you'd want to do still has 32 bit support. Eve Online should. DAZ-3D I could see moving to 64 bit exclusively; nope, supports 32 bit. <shrug>

Eve has gone pure 64bit.  I don't know for a fact that the current version of WINE don't support 64 bit only apps, but when it went 64bit, on the version of Ubuntu I was running at the time it stopped working.  I haven't tried with the current all 64 bit load of Ubuntu and I'm not likely to try for a while.

56 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yes ; while theoretically you could have 32bit emulator of 64bit machine, it would be EXTREMELY slow - on top of the "full" emulators being slow by itself.

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Eve has gone pure 64bit.  I don't know for a fact that the current version of WINE don't support 64 bit only apps, but when it went 64bit, on the version of Ubuntu I was running at the time it stopped working.  I haven't tried with the current all 64 bit load of Ubuntu and I'm not likely to try for a while.

Wine supports 64bit since version 1.2 and that was in 2010 ... however, it seems that 64bit support has more bugs than 32bit. I find hard to believe it stopped working for you in 2019 because 64bit didn't worked at all. More likely, it was either something else than being 64bit, or Eve hit some of those bug.

Also, quick googling suggests that Eve online does work on 64bit wine.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

More likely, it was either something else than being 64bit, or Eve hit some of those bug.

A hard crash is a hard crash.  The did an update of the client and everything stopped working.  I was getting a bit burnt out on Eve any way so I didn't push to hard to make a fix.  I might reload if and when I get a modern not a laptop Winbox. 

21 minutes ago, mlooney said:
27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

More likely, it was either something else than being 64bit, or Eve hit some of those bug.

A hard crash is a hard crash.  The did an update of the client and everything stopped working.  I was getting a bit burnt out on Eve any way so I didn't push to hard to make a fix.

I'm not surprised you are burnt out. I don't have time to play most games I would like either, and Eve looks like very time-consuming game.

23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I might reload if and when I get a modern not a laptop Winbox.

I recommend trying on linux instead, starting with installation of modern distribution which may have all those problems solved too.
Note that I don't mean to do it right away ; that would be hypocrisy, as I myself didn't managed to find time to install 64bit linux distributions for years, pretending to wait for new machine with it ... which I could buy tomorrow if I wanted. Wait, today, it's already after midnight. But, like, I want to spend time finding out what machine to get just to have the good feeling of having machine with parts I decided to buy. Despite possibly doing lot of mistakes in it, as I don't have that much experience in that regard ...

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:
29 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I might reload if and when I get a modern not a laptop Winbox.

I recommend trying on linux instead, starting with installation of modern distribution which may have all those problems solved too.
Note that I don't mean to do it right away ; that would be hypocrisy, as I myself didn't managed to find time to install 64bit linux distributions for years, pretending to wait for new machine with it ... which I could buy tomorrow if I wanted. Wait, today, it's already after midnight. But, like, I want to spend time finding out what machine to get just to have the good feeling of having machine with parts I decided to buy. Despite possibly doing lot of mistakes in it, as I don't have that much experience in that regard ...

My current installation of Linux is the latest version of Ubuntu LTS, so I have that under control. 

I'm getting a Winbox to do 3d artwork on as I don't feel like attacking the learning curve for Blender and I have a lot of assets for Daz 3d, I just don't have a machine that will render in a reasonable amount of time.  The only question on getting the Winbox is a matter of timing.  If we get another Covid-19 check, I'll use that.  Otherwise I'll just save up until I can get it.

29 minutes ago, mlooney said:

My current installation of Linux is the latest version of Ubuntu LTS, so I have that under control. 

If you have latest version of Ubuntu LTS, not even Lennart Poettering has it under control. On the other hand, it's likely to be the distribution Wine is most optimized for.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If you have latest version of Ubuntu LTS, not even Lennart Poettering has it under control. On the other hand, it's likely to be the distribution Wine is most optimized for.

I'm running 20.04 using XFCE4 as my window manager.  It's under as much control as I feel it needs.   Lennart works for RedHat, a distro I haven't used this century.  Granted I did use it in the late 90's.