• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Monday, Jun 1, 2020

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... and much cheaper. Nowadays, even fan-made movies can afford better effects.

Many years ago, while the series was still new, I read a book, The Making of Star Trek. Per that book, which I barely remember otherwise, the transporter sequences each cost $10,000, in late 60s dollars. All done by manually overlaying film sequences.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... the stuff of which single drop will kill you is USUALLY not stored in bottles, but still sounds extremely dangerous.

More dangerous than most EGS spells actually.

Right, right. The main thing to know about that was it was a pun based on the tagline of another cartoon series based on a line of toys, G.I. Joe.

19 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Many years ago, while the series was still new, I read a book, The Making of Star Trek. Per that book, which I barely remember otherwise, the transporter sequences each cost $10,000, in late 60s dollars. All done by manually overlaying film sequences.

And that was to avoid the expense of landing the space ship every week.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

Now that's just silly. The enterprise was built in orbit, in a space dock, and is not suited to landing.They would have used a shuttle craft.

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Now that's just silly. The enterprise was built in orbit, in a space dock, and is not suited to landing.They would have used a shuttle craft.

I said space ship, I didn't say the Enterprise.  A shuttle craft is a space ship.

29 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I said space ship, I didn't say the Enterprise.  A shuttle craft is a space ship.

This is technically true in the context of the series.

2 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

This is technically true in the context of the series.

Technically true is the best kind of true.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Technically true is the best kind of true.

What were the metrics used to determine that? I suspect there's some bias in that determination.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Also, you said 'land', you didn't say take off again.

9 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Also, you said 'land', you didn't say take off again.

Good point.  The did have the Enterprise "land" in at least one of the movies.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

Just the saucer, IIRC.

Star Wars did something similar in one of the prequels, 'landed' a ship by crashing onto Corsucant.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

And that $10 grand was out of a total budget per episode of about $100 grand. Yes, that’s right—every single transporter sequence took up about a tenth of the episode’s entire budget.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Just the saucer, IIRC.

I seem to recall the whole ship going down.  Generations?  Maybe.  It's been decades, I don't recall as well as I could.

The engineering section blew up when its warp core destabilized after the Duras sisters’ ship put a torpedo through it. The surviving (damaged) saucer section was then forced to make an emergency landing on the planet below.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I've heard that any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

1 hour ago, Drasvin said:

And it's a great landing if you can take off again.

I know Voyager was capable of landing/takeoff and had done so a at least twice in the series. I wanna say the Defiant would have been capable as well given it's profile, but I don't recall it ever doing so.

10 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'll take your word on it.  Like I said, it's been decades since I watched any Star Trek movies.

Here is the scene, if you wish to watch it:

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

That was worse than I remembered. You don't evacuate that many people in four minutes. The Enterprise D is supposed to be huge. You don't crawl the length of engineering and the shuttle hanger, then up a series of ladders in four minute. But most of those folks there were evacuating should already have been in the saucer. Why is the counselor, who holds no formal rank, driving the ship, rather than a helmsman? I always wonder, too, why every space ship that crashes is oriented with the top up.

In the 'are you sure there's intelligent life on Earth' department, Malcolm McDowell is said to have received hate mail and death threats for his role as the villain, Dr. Soran.

21 hours ago, mlooney said:

The plot of the 1st Equestria Girls movie:  Sunset Shimmer, a pony that self exiled to the human world, sneaked back into the pony world and stole Twilight Sparkle's magic crown for reasons.  Twilight and Spike went through the mirror to get it back before Sunset could use it for evil.  Once there Twilight met up with the human versions of her Ponyville friends and got the crown back.  The final "fight" scene is the one where the magic light show and demon transformation happened.  That's were the "The talking dog is the weird thing" line happens.  Only 2 of the cast were translated ponies during this movie, Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer. 

More here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyEquestriaGirls1

Also Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Equestria_Girls_(film)

The concept is simple enough: take the characters of the hit TV show My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and put them in high school. Now the Mane Six must deal with things such as peer pressure, planning for school dances, popular girls with attitude problems, and yes... even boys.

Oh. I get it. Not enough of target audience are into bestiality so putting the ponies into high school was only way to collect on the "sex sells". Well, as much of it as is acceptable in G-rated show.

More seriously: So just two characters actually transformed. That might be little better.

19 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
20 hours ago, mlooney said:

Now that's just silly. The enterprise was built in orbit, in a space dock, and is not suited to landing.

Didn't stopped Voyager.

13 hours ago, ijuin said:
20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

And that $10 grand was out of a total budget per episode of about $100 grand. Yes, that’s right—every single transporter sequence took up about a tenth of the episode’s entire budget.

Yeah, that would explain the cardboards.

10 hours ago, Drasvin said:
15 hours ago, mlooney said:

How many hundreds of people are on Enterprise again? I suspect there were some causalities. Or at least should be.

19 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
1 hour ago, ijuin said:

That was worse than I remembered. You don't evacuate that many people in four minutes. The Enterprise D is supposed to be huge. You don't crawl the length of engineering and the shuttle hanger, then up a series of ladders in four minute. But most of those folks there were evacuating should already have been in the saucer. Why is the counselor, who holds no formal rank, driving the ship, rather than a helmsman? I always wonder, too, why every space ship that crashes is oriented with the top up.

Some comments.

Obviously, it's because only named characters are allowed to do something as important as crashing piloting the ship. From named characters, she might really be the most suitable one left.

Generally, you shouldn't think too much about it, because then you realize that either the computer is clever enough to pilot the ship by itself, or those few people on bridge wouldn't be enough.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The Enterprise-D overall is a bit over six hundred meters (two thousand feet) long. The secondary hull (i.e. the non-saucer part) is three hundred and a bit not counting the warp nacelles. The hard part of getting people out of there is climbing the decks--the lowest deck is Deck Forty-Two, and the interface between the primary and secondary hulls is somewhere around Deck Twelve or so, which means up to thirty decks to ascend, with the elevators probably not having enough capacity to carry everyone quickly. To evacuate everyone that quickly, they would have to use the transporters to pull out those who were too far away. With a stated eight transporter rooms in the Saucer section, and assuming six people per transport cycle and two transport cycles per minute over four minutes, that allows evacuating about 380 people via transporter in four minutes, which is a third of the Enterprise-D's entire crew.

As for crashing with the top up, what little control they had during descent was being used by Data to put them into the safest orientation for the landing.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

How many hundreds of people are on Enterprise again? I suspect there were some causalities. Or at least should be.

Obviously, it's because only named characters are allowed to do something as important as crashing piloting the ship. From named characters, she might really be the most suitable one left.

Generally, you shouldn't think too much about it, because then you realize that either the computer is clever enough to pilot the ship by itself, or those few people on bridge wouldn't be enough.

Standard complement for the Enterprise-D was between 1000 and 1100 crew, not counting passengers and children.

Deanna Troi was officially a Lieutenant Commander at this point in the story--there was an episode during the series where she was taking the Command Officer's examination, where she had to send Geordi La Forge to his "certain death" in a simulation in order to prove that she was psychologically capable of sacrificing a friend in order to save the ship if need be. However, yes, you are correct that it should not have been her, but rather Data, at the helm for the entire sequence.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

The Enterprise-D overall is a bit over six hundred meters (two thousand feet) long. The secondary hull (i.e. the non-saucer part) is three hundred and a bit not counting the warp nacelles. The hard part of getting people out of there is climbing the decks--the lowest deck is Deck Forty-Two, and the interface between the primary and secondary hulls is somewhere around Deck Twelve or so, which means up to thirty decks to ascend, with the elevators probably not having enough capacity to carry everyone quickly. To evacuate everyone that quickly, they would have to use the transporters to pull out those who were too far away. With a stated eight transporter rooms in the Saucer section, and assuming six people per transport cycle and two transport cycles per minute over four minutes, that allows evacuating about 380 people via transporter in four minutes, which is a third of the Enterprise-D's entire crew.

If they have some evacuation protocols, that might work - with most people already in saucer and if they were transporting the people from lowest decks while the ones in higher decks used lifts ...

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Standard complement for the Enterprise-D was between 1000 and 1100 crew, not counting passengers and children.

Yeah, not counting ... seems that totally it could be 6000 with maximal capacity 15000.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Deanna Troi was officially a Lieutenant Commander at this point in the story--there was an episode during the series where she was taking the Command Officer's examination, where she had to send Geordi La Forge to his "certain death" in a simulation in order to prove that she was psychologically capable of sacrificing a friend in order to save the ship if need be. However, yes, you are correct that it should not have been her, but rather Data, at the helm for the entire sequence.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

As for crashing with the top up, what little control they had during descent was being used by Data to put them into the safest orientation for the landing.

Definitely sounds like it should be Data.