• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Monday, Jun 1, 2020

7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, I have one other MLP reference some of you might know about: In I Dream of a , there was one comic where Jean the genie was trying to seduce her master, and she transformed into a human Twilight Sparkle. 

There is a whole other set of short movies spun off of MLP:FiM proper called "Equestria Girls" where the whole cast is more or less human.  Other than Spike the Dragon, he's a talking dog...

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

There is a whole other set of short movies spun off of MLP:FiM proper called "Equestria Girls" where the whole cast is more or less human.  Other than Spike the Dragon, he's a talking dog...

So many questions ...

Why doesn't the dragon eat the horses?

Why do they turn into humans? I bet it has something to do with thumb envy.

Dogs don't have the vocal structure, how does he manage to do that?

16 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Why doesn't the dragon eat the horses?

Why do they turn into humans? I bet it has something to do with thumb envy.

Dogs don't have the vocal structure, how does he manage to do that?

Well Spike is a baby dragon, so he's too small to eat a pony.  As to why they turn into humans, it's because that side of the mirror is a human world, so the ponies become humans.  Most of the cast of the EG movies are native humans anyway.

Most dogs aren't purple as well.  He just does.  Of course the fact that the dog talks is noticed as being weird by the humans that aren't changed ponies.

14 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well Spike is a baby dragon, so he's too small to eat a pony.  As to why they turn into humans, it's because that side of the mirror is a human world, so the ponies become humans.  Most of the cast of the EG movies are native humans anyway.

Most dogs aren't purple as well.  He just does.  Of course the fact that the dog talks is noticed as being weird by the humans that aren't changed ponies.

I clearly am deficient in MLP lore. I quite agree, I would think a purple talking dog is weird.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

I clearly am deficient in MLP lore. I quite agree, I would think a purple talking dog is weird.

The thing is, in the scene where the human football player freaks out about the dog talking, the dog talking is the least weird thing going on.  Which Spike the Dragon/Dog comments on.  

Just now, mlooney said:

The thing is, in the scene where the human football player freaks out about the dog talking, the dog talking is the least weird thing going on.  Which Spike the Dragon/Dog comments on.  

How did the purple talking dog, who was really a baby dragon from some other realm of existence, know what was weird or not in the human realm? Is this actually well written, because, now, I am becoming curious.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

How did the purple talking dog, who was really a baby dragon from some other realm of existence, know what was weird or not in the human realm? Is this actually well written, because, now, I am becoming curious.

Well there was a major amount of demons being summoned and all sorts of magical forces showing power via light shows going on at the time, so, yeah, he had a clue as to what was weird or not.

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well there was a major amount of demons being summoned and all sorts of magical forces showing power via light shows going on at the time, so, yeah, he had a clue as to what was weird or not.

I can't find a good clip of the whole scene, but here is the dog quote 

8 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I can't find a good clip of the whole scene, but here is the dog quote 

Looks vaguely Teen Titans-ish

26 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Looks vaguely Teen Titans-ish

Well, the EG movies and shows do have polychromatic humans, which does tend to make things a bit odd.  Of course MLP:FiM itself tends towards polychormatic ponies...

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

Well, the EG movies and shows do have polychromatic humans, which does tend to make things a bit odd.  Of course MLP:FiM itself tends towards polychormatic ponies...

"I cast Charm, because Friendship is magic."

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There is possibility Diane is considerably more known - and popular - in school than you were.

If the spell works only on people she directly talks to, it's not really well-suited for spreading rumors.

I think that, given Diane’s use of it in the lunchroom, the spell affects all who hear her voice when it is in use.

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:
9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If the spell works only on people she directly talks to, it's not really well-suited for spreading rumors.

I think that, given Diane’s use of it in the lunchroom, the spell affects all who hear her voice when it is in use.

I suspect it's everyone that hears the spell, even if the caster doesn't know that they can hear the spell.  

I wonder how and when Diane is going to learn that she has a spell?

29 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I agree, and I think you're right. Still, there is that "She's not using it right" that gives room for other interpretations; anything that Diane did might be off the mark.

17 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I agree, and I think you're right. Still, there is that "She's not using it right" that gives room for other interpretations; anything that Diane did might be off the mark.

Which does bring up the option of Tedd finding out about Diane's spell somehow, "looking" at it and giving her pointers on how to use it.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Still, there is that "She's not using it right" that gives room for other interpretations; anything that Diane did might be off the mark.

I think that was because she used the "believe me!" power on the plausible part of what she said but not on the implausible part.

(Granted, the only reason the implausible part was implausible was because she said it. If she hadn't, that part would have been both plausible and assumed.)

27 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

I think that was because she used the "believe me!" power on the plausible part of what she said but not on the implausible part.

This points out more and more that Diane doesn't know she has a spell or spell like power and needs to be given some help in using it by Tedd.  Hopefully soon.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:
9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, I have one other MLP reference some of you might know about: In I Dream of a , there was one comic where Jean the genie was trying to seduce her master, and she transformed into a human Twilight Sparkle. 

I really failed to see the point of this. Turning the ponies human, I mean. Did the authors wanted to put a lampshade on not really trying to utilize the more fantastic aspects of the show? Oh wait, talking dog not being the weirdest thing around ...

5 hours ago, mlooney said:
5 hours ago, ijuin said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I suspect it's everyone that hears the spell, even if the caster doesn't know that they can hear the spell. 

Well, ok, right, but still not well-suited for spreading rumors, because for that you would need the rumor to be believable if someone WITHOUT magic is telling it to someone else.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:
1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

This points out more and more that Diane doesn't know she has a spell or spell like power and needs to be given some help in using it by Tedd.  Hopefully soon.

Agree. Could be dangerous spell to use without knowing.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I am aware the show exists. I don't think I've seen more than a few seconds.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I've never seen even one episode of MLP. My only exposure to it is through fanart (quite a lot of it naughty) and Sinfest, a webcomic I've been following for a long time. The Devil is a main character in Sinfest, and he's a bronie.

I saw some episodes when it was in TV but probably not the correct ones. And some parts on youtube. Might still have more exposure from fanart and from other comics referencing it  - including Sinfest, but the one most convincing was this Does Not Play Well with Others one. I mean, that "stupid grim dark" thing at end is MLP canon according to their wiki. Also, that enemy was her SISTER. (Also, yes, I looked at some things on their wiki.)

It's possible MLP turns out to be better when read than watched ... just like ST:TOS.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:
2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Casting any spell with out knowing that you are doing so seems dangerous, never mind a mind altering spell like hers.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

was this Does Not Play Well with Others one. I mean, that "stupid grim dark" thing at end is MLP canon according to their wiki. Also, that enemy was her SISTER.

Yeap.  Granted she had cause to do so, but yeah Princess Celestia banished Princess Luna to the moon for a 1000 years.  Was the plot of the 1st two shows in getting Luna back from being Nightmare Moon.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I really failed to see the point of this. Turning the ponies human, I mean. Did the authors wanted to put a lampshade on not really trying to utilize the more fantastic aspects of the show? Oh wait, talking dog not being the weirdest thing around ...

If I understood mlooney correctly, the back story is they were originally human.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's like using potions, dangerous if you don't know what they are. You might sample a bit, and that might give you a hint, but you're not going to be sure until you try it. As they say, "... and knowing is half the bottle".

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's possible MLP turns out to be better when read than watched ... just like ST:TOS.

You have to appreciate that while TOS looks crappy and cheesy in retrospect, it was absolutely ground breaking when it came out, Klingons we don't talk about not withstanding. If that wasn't the case, there would not be a Star Trek franchise today; no one would have cared to revive it.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yeap.  Granted she had cause to do so, but yeah Princess Celestia banished Princess Luna to the moon for a 1000 years.  Was the plot of the 1st two shows in getting Luna back from being Nightmare Moon.

Yes, well, Luna did attempt to bring about an eternal night, in which all life would freeze to death from the lack of sunshine. Allowing her to continue it was not really a valid option.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You have to appreciate that while TOS looks crappy and cheesy in retrospect, it was absolutely ground breaking when it came out, Klingons we don't talk about not withstanding. If that wasn't the case, there would not be a Star Trek franchise today; no one would have cared to revive it.

TOS sets and props looked like cheap cardboard because they were, because the network gave them peanuts for a budget even by the standards of science fiction shows of the time. Roddenberry had wanted for the Klingons to have the forehead ridges and such, but couldn't afford all the makeup technicians and equipment that would have required.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Casting any spell with out knowing that you are doing so seems dangerous, never mind a mind altering spell like hers.

Well, yes, point. But also yes, this would be even more dangerous than usually.

was this Does Not Play Well with Others one. I mean, that "stupid grim dark" thing at end is MLP canon according to their wiki. Also, that enemy was her SISTER.

First two? That's how they started?

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, well, Luna did attempt to bring about an eternal night, in which all life would freeze to death from the lack of sunshine. Allowing her to continue it was not really a valid option.

It still doesn't seem like good idea. I mean, sure, she's immortal, but thousand years? And, like, if they made her stop trying that in two episodes, wouldn't that be EASIER if she wouldn't spend thousand years alone?

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If I understood mlooney correctly, the back story is they were originally human.

Probably not, but I would prefer mlooney's explanation.

It's like using potions, dangerous if you don't know what they are. You might sample a bit, and that might give you a hint, but you're not going to be sure until you try it. As they say, "... and knowing is half the bottle".

... the stuff of which single drop will kill you is USUALLY not stored in bottles, but still sounds extremely dangerous.

More dangerous than most EGS spells actually.

True. It only looks so bad because pastel colors went out of fashion and effects went much better since then.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

TOS sets and props looked like cheap cardboard because they were, because the network gave them peanuts for a budget even by the standards of science fiction shows of the time. Roddenberry had wanted for the Klingons to have the forehead ridges and such, but couldn't afford all the makeup technicians and equipment that would have required.

... and much cheaper. Nowadays, even fan-made movies can afford better effects.

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well, yes, point. But also yes, this would be even more dangerous than usually.

I'm not so sure that it more dangerous than normal, but I can see your point on that.

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
6 hours ago, mlooney said:

First two? That's how they started?

Yeppers.   Not your old school My Little Pony.  The actual banishment was done in the 1st 5 minutes as a flashback.

58 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Probably not, but I would prefer mlooney's explanation.

The plot of the 1st Equestria Girls movie:  Sunset Shimmer, a pony that self exiled to the human world, sneaked back into the pony world and stole Twilight Sparkle's magic crown for reasons.  Twilight and Spike went through the mirror to get it back before Sunset could use it for evil.  Once there Twilight met up with the human versions of her Ponyville friends and got the crown back.  The final "fight" scene is the one where the magic light show and demon transformation happened.  That's were the "The talking dog is the weird thing" line happens.  Only 2 of the cast were translated ponies during this movie, Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer. 

More here: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WesternAnimation/MyLittlePonyEquestriaGirls1

Also Here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Equestria_Girls_(film)