• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Tuesday, Jun 2, 2020

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/parable-112
I wonder, will this make Susan start taking clothes seriously or at least get some?
Wasn't she supposed to search for hero of range now?

Even if she wasn't supposed to search for The Hero of Magic at this point, this is progress on the Meta plot front.  I'm not going to bitch about what order she gets her support staff from.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/parable-112
I wonder, will this make Susan start taking clothes seriously or at least get some?
Wasn't she supposed to search for hero of range now?

She was supposed to go looking for the hero of magic, but then she let Rhoda go to the pub and everything got sidetracked.

Either Arthur will go "You gotta find the Hero of Ranged now before they get kidnapped too!" or "You must rescue the Hero of Magic before they do bad things to them!"  which will either have Susan agreeing with one, or deciding to do the other instead like "Find the Hero of Ranged" "I'mma rescue Magic first!"

Also even Susan's expecting the other heroes to look like friends of friends. I guess Rhoda can go either way though, friend of Grace, or friend of Catalina, though...who else could have "friend of friend" status with both Grace and Susan... there's Lucy>Rhoda>Grace and Lucy>Diane>Susan, I'm not sure about Noah really because in canon he's not really considered a friend at the moment, more like an acquaintance that's slightly above neutral, Ashley's sliding into just "friend" rather than "friend of friend".

Basically I'm trying to cover both "this could be all about Grace" or "this could be all about Susan" by trying to find connections that are common to both of them but can be exclusive to each of them as well, hence how Rhoda doesn't need Grace to be connected to Susan, having X>Grace>Susan or X>Susan>Grace is not what I'm looking for here.

How to draw short hair?
Stop drawing before it becomes long

Yes, it seems like a joke, but these things do happen

When my gym reopened, I discovered there was a problem with my account
They had an old phone number for me
So I left my current number and was assured that the correction would be made
A few days later, the manager at the gym who actually can update the account stopped me as I entered and asked if this was indeed my current phone number
When I assured her it was, she made the comment that she wanted to be sure before updating the system
I suggested that she might have simply called the number and see if I had answered

A Homer Simpson 'Doh' would have been the appropriate sound effect to her eye roll

15 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When I assured her it was, she made the comment that she wanted to be sure before updating the system
I suggested that she might have simply called the number and see if I had answered

Many people forget that phones are voice capable it seems.  My rental agent tried several times to send me a text, to my sister in laws land line.  Took a while to get them with the right number.

54 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also even Susan's expecting the other heroes to look like friends of friends. I guess Rhoda can go either way though, friend of Grace, or friend of Catalina, though...who else could have "friend of friend" status with both Grace and Susan... there's Lucy>Rhoda>Grace and Lucy>Diane>Susan, I'm not sure about Noah really because in canon he's not really considered a friend at the moment, more like an acquaintance that's slightly above neutral, Ashley's sliding into just "friend" rather than "friend of friend".

Basically I'm trying to cover both "this could be all about Grace" or "this could be all about Susan" by trying to find connections that are common to both of them but can be exclusive to each of them as well, hence how Rhoda doesn't need Grace to be connected to Susan, having X>Grace>Susan or X>Susan>Grace is not what I'm looking for here.

Susan goes to North, as does Catalina. Rhoda, Lucy, Diane, and Grace go to South.

Susan knows Catalina, and has hung out with her; Catalina is dating Rhoda, but maybe hiding it. Rhoda also visit;s Grace, to tutor, but Susan doesn't seem to hang out there often. Maybe she was introduced through Diane? They all go to the same mall.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I guess Rhoda can go either way ...

So far, only girls :P

50 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Many people forget that phones are voice capable it seems.  My rental agent tried several times to send me a text, to my sister in laws land line.  Took a while to get them with the right number.

Land line ... those were powered by steam engines, no?

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Land line ... those were powered by steam engines, no?

Well, if you want to get technical about it, the line in question was carried by Cox cable, not the real phone company.  It's still a wired phone line, not a mobile phone.

Just now, mlooney said:

Well, if you want to get technical about it, the line in question was carried by Cox cable, not the real phone company.  It's still a wired phone line, not a mobile phone.

Oh, God. I got a TWC IP phone for my dad at one point; big mistake. They have such a high turnover that he was constantly getting calls for people that previously held the number.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Oh, God. I got a TWC IP phone for my dad at one point; big mistake. They have such a high turnover that he was constantly getting calls for people that previously held the number.

While I suspect that the the Cox Phones are in fact VOIP phones, they are analog phones as far as the end user goes.  You plug them into the phone jack on the router and they just work.  More or less.  As well as anything Cox works anyway.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

While I suspect that the the Cox Phones are in fact VOIP phones, they are analog phones as far as the end user goes.  You plug them into the phone jack on the router and they just work.  More or less.  As well as anything Cox works anyway.

TWC, now Spectrum, is predatory, overhyped, has lousy customer service, and pathetically redundant programming. That said, their services for the most part work. When I had them, they had frequent short outages, enough to knock out your session you were on, but for the most part they were up. The video cable, same thing, I've had shows cut out at the climactic scene for some goofy data update I didn't care about that should have waited, but mostly it was there.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:
10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

As well as anything Cox works anyway.

TWC, now Spectrum, is predatory, overhyped, has lousy customer service, and pathetically redundant programming. That said, their services for the most part work.

Actually of all the Cox services, their phone line were the least likely to fail. 

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Actually of all the Cox services, their phone line were the least likely to fail. 

... and their billing, I'll bet.

31 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

... and their billing, I'll bet.

Well, I wouldn't call that a service FOR the end user.

Just now, mlooney said:

Well, I wouldn't call that a service FOR the end user.

If it was, you'd get recursive bills for the bills, to be sure.

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If it was, you'd get recursive bills for the bills, to be sure.

More truth than poetry,.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Either Arthur will go "You gotta find the Hero of Ranged now before they get kidnapped too!" or "You must rescue the Hero of Magic before they do bad things to them!"  which will either have Susan agreeing with one, or deciding to do the other instead like "Find the Hero of Ranged" "I'mma rescue Magic first!"

Hmmm ... good point.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That may cost money.
Also, personally I don't like people calling me because they usually call in bad moment. Like when I'm sleeping, having bath (or other bathroom activity) ...

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Susan knows Catalina, and has hung out with her; Catalina is dating Rhoda, but maybe hiding it.

Catalina is definitely hiding it, but she's very bad at it.

8 hours ago, ijuin said:

Catalina, like Elliot, is too honest to be a good liar.

That does seem to be a common "fault" with EGS characters.

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That may cost money.

I am recalling that unlike cell service, which may be metered, does not generally depend on distance in the US, our landline phone system back in the day had a scheme for adding charges based on where you were calling to. It was sort of distance based, but not exactly. NYC charged for calling out of zone, you could not even be sure your call within the city was free. I lived near a Bell system zone boundary once, and the nearby next town over was long distance, but I could call pretty far away in the other direction. I am glad that system is gone.

I remember Ma Bell's local calls

In the county where I lived,  there were about a dozen small towns that each had their own phone system

In one of those towns, you could only make local calls in that town or to the county seat

I lived in the county seat

More than once, someone in my family was part of a clever relay system where someone from one side of the county would send a message to someone on the other side of the county by having someone in my family take a message and call that other person

Apparently, it's OK to scam the phone company and inconvenience casual acquaintances if you are doing it on behalf of community theatre or a kids club or your church

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Apparently, it's OK to scam the phone company and inconvenience casual acquaintances if you are doing it on behalf of community theatre or a kids club or your church

Or just because you can.  A lot of the pre personal computer hackers were also phone phreaks. 

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I remember Ma Bell's local calls

In the county where I lived,  there were about a dozen small towns that each had their own phone system

In one of those towns, you could only make local calls in that town or to the county seat

I lived in the county seat

More than once, someone in my family was part of a clever relay system where someone from one side of the county would send a message to someone on the other side of the county by having someone in my family take a message and call that other person

I forgot about those. My folks lived in a rural area after my dad retired, and they had a local phone company. Everything was long distance. I suppose you could call the neighbors for free.

Hams could connect phone calls through their radios, and AT&T tried to get the government to make it illegal to bypass their system.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Hams could connect phone calls through their radios, and AT&T tried to get the government to make it illegal to bypass their system.

An utterly failed at getting that law passed. 

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

An utterly failed at getting that law passed. 

Yes, thank God. Dumb asses attitude is what got them busted up.