• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Saturday, Jun 6, 2020

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

What's not certain is if 1) he already saw such spell (for example, Nanase's fairy is quite long range ...) and/or if 2) he can do such wand WITHOUT seeing such spell.

I think he can make one that has range even if he hasn't seen a spell that has range, by mixing in his mind that aspects of a spell that has range with one that doesn't.  That is what he was doing with the glove making watches.  Sarah asked him about why he wanted a ranged version of a clothing modifier spell when she first started working as his lab assistance.   As a side note, do we call Sarah his assistant nor or is she fully his apprentice by this time?

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd probably doesn't need Ellen - the long-range form may be taken directly from TF gun. I mean, it's uryuom technology, not magic, but apparently they are similar enough - and based on what she says here making it extremely close-range was deliberate decision.

We know that Tedd got the FV5 with clothing resize spell from Ellen, that would include the beam effect, and it's quite possible based on the line of questions from Pandora (aksed if Tedd's looked at the base spell, then asked if they looked at a version that resized clothes) that Tedd's looked at Ellen using the spell multiple times.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

We know that Tedd got the FV5 with clothing resize spell from Ellen, that would include the beam effect, and it's quite possible based on the line of questions from Pandora (aksed if Tedd's looked at the base spell, then asked if they looked at a version that resized clothes) that Tedd's looked at Ellen using the spell multiple times.

Based on what Pandora is saying here https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2017-07-03 Tedd is able to tweak spells before they get made into a watch/wand.  I assume that the range of the spell is part of the tweaking options. 

Just now, mlooney said:

Based on what Pandora is saying here https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2017-07-03 Tedd is able to tweak spells before they get made into a watch/wand.  I assume that the range of the spell is part of the tweaking options. 

Well yeah, but that's more like Grace being able to mix and match parts of different forms to create new ones, Tedd can mix and match different parts of spells that they've "Seen" to create new ones.

There was a DLC for Elder Scrolls:Oblivion that included an altar where you could create custom spells using spells that you knew. have a spell of Shocking Grasp and one of Fire Bolt? you can use those to make a spell of Burning Touch and Lightningbolt.

I tended to create spells that was ranged and did fire, lightning and frost damage in an AOE. ;)

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

Well yeah, but that's more like Grace being able to mix and match parts of different forms to create new ones, Tedd can mix and match different parts of spells that they've "Seen" to create new ones.

While we don't know about other wizards, I assumed that they either got the spell or they didn't and didn't have a choice about what it's range and effects were.  Could be wrong and I don't have any canon sources to back that up, but that is what it seems like they do.  Tedd, as a seers and wand-maker runs under a separate set of rules.

Just now, mlooney said:

While we don't know about other wizards, I assumed that they either got the spell or they didn't and didn't have a choice about what it's range and effects were.  Could be wrong and I don't have any canon sources to back that up, but that is what it seems like they do.  Tedd, as a seers and wand-maker runs under a separate set of rules.

Pandora made it sound like Tedd's glove was a unique invention by Tedd and only usable by Seers. Standard wizards could get the ability to make wands, but it doesn't seem like they could ever have the ability to customize spells, maybe rewriting a spell uses a heckton more power than just plain copying a spell to a wand and only Seer's have access to that amount of power. Pandora also did say that Tedd had the power and mind to bend worlds to their will, after all

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Pandora made it sound like Tedd's glove was a unique invention by Tedd and only usable by Seers. Standard wizards could get the ability to make wands, but it doesn't seem like they could ever have the ability to customize spells, maybe rewriting a spell uses a heckton more power than just plain copying a spell to a wand and only Seer's have access to that amount of power. Pandora also did say that Tedd had the power and mind to bend worlds to their will, after all

That's more or less what I was basing my remarks on.  The glove only working for a seer was an important plot point.  The blinding flash of light that Luke got from looking at Tedd was an indication of his power level.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, mlooney said:

I agree that the ability to customize spells is unique to Seers - seems normal wizard can only copy the spell verbatim - but I don't think it's question of power. Sure, Seers are very powerful, but that doesn't need to be related. I think it's ability, just like being wizard itself is ability which, for example, Nanase lacks despite being very powerful.

That said, that quote from Pandora likely speaks not just about raw power but Tedd's ability to utilize it as well.

Actually, if seers are supposed to be able to rediscover magic rules after reset, it seems they are even more powerful than that, able to even discover spell components they never saw (but are somehow similar to what they saw). That's something Grace can't do - all new components she got from the TF gun.

There was a DLC for Elder Scrolls:Oblivion that included an altar where you could create custom spells using spells that you knew. have a spell of Shocking Grasp and one of Fire Bolt? you can use those to make a spell of Burning Touch and Lightningbolt.

I tended to create spells that was ranged and did fire, lightning and frost damage in an AOE. ;)

Well, the standard "let's use the ability to get as overpowered as possible" path. I would be likely to do that as well. I could also try for something more interesting but I would likely hit the limits of how the creating of custom spells worked ... I mean, seriously, only way they would satisfy MY idea of versatility would be to put a turing-complete programming language into that. Speaking about which, do you know about any game like that? I probably wouldn't have time to play but I would definitely put it on TODO list.

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

Sarah asked him about why he wanted a ranged version of a clothing modifier spell when she first started working as his lab assistance.   As a side note, do we call Sarah his assistant nor or is she fully his apprentice by this time?

Difference between assistant and apprentice is not difference in level, it's difference between looking at Tedd as scientists and looking at him as wizard. Unless you speak about the fact that with Sarah not being wizard, she can't actually learn any spell from him. She's limited to training her magic capacity long enough to awaken and get some spell herself.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Unless you speak about the fact that with Sarah not being wizard, she can't actually learn any spell from him. She's limited to training her magic capacity long enough to awaken and get some spell herself.

It's possible that when she awakens she's going to be a wizard, not just a magic user.  We don't know.  Odds are she's "just" going to be a magic uses, but the way Pandora was talking about training, it's possible she will be a wizard.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Actually, if seers are supposed to be able to rediscover magic rules after reset, it seems they are even more powerful than that, able to even discover spell components they never saw (but are somehow similar to what they saw). That's something Grace can't do - all new components she got from the TF gun.

I don't think they're intended to rediscover magic, but more like work as a seed vault to protect the few spells they learned so that when a system change did occur, they could make some wands to give to a few wizards or magic users who in turn start redeveloping their magic again and once they awaken, any new spells could then be passed around to other wizards and such.

I was specifically talking about how Tedd can "look" at multiple spells they become part of Tedd and they can mix and match various parts. Grace gets zapped by a multiple forms they become part of her and she can then mix and match those.

Just now, mlooney said:

It's possible that when she awakens she's going to be a wizard, not just a magic user.  We don't know.  Odds are she's "just" going to be a magic uses, but the way Pandora was talking about training, it's possible she will be a wizard.

What I got from what Pandora was saying was that normally magic users would be able to cast their first spell with their own power by the time they awaken, but in Sarah's case, she's probably more likely to awaken and get new spells before she's able to cast the simulation spell on her own just cus it uses that much energy. That's what I figure she meant by "D rank talent with an S rank spell" anyway.

33 minutes ago, Scotty said:

What I got from what Pandora was saying was that normally magic users would be able to cast their first spell with their own power by the time they awaken, but in Sarah's case, she's probably more likely to awaken and get new spells before she's able to cast the simulation spell on her own just cus it uses that much energy. That's what I figure she meant by "D rank talent with an S rank spell" anyway.

I was basing my idea on this comic. It just seemed to me that the way that Pandora was talking about training and "apprentice magic user" that Sarah would be more than just a magic user like the rest of the magic using cast, other than Tedd.

Just now, mlooney said:

I was basing my idea on this comic. It just seemed to me that the way that Pandora was talking about training and "apprentice magic user" that Sarah would be more than just a magic user like the rest of the magic using cast, other than Tedd.

I would expect Pandora to know the difference between a wizard and magic user though (seeing as we've been beaten over the head by it a few times over the course of the comic), and if Sarah was a wizard, why would Pandora use the wrong term? Pandora could have been referring to other ways she could train Sarah either by giving her opportunities to use the spell she has, or just doing general "this is how magic works" lessons.