• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Amiable Dorsai

Is this thing on?

11 hours ago, ijuin said:

You’re as old as you feel, which puts me well into my fourth century.

This morning I'm not real sure if I'm in my 4th or 6th century.  I hurt in places I have no reason to be hurty other than I'm old.  Or because I'm keeping the house too cold.  Could go either way.

17 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Ah, I have the opposite problem—I can never get cold enough. I sweat profusely even in short sleeves below 60 Farenheit.

I used to be that way.  The the late 50's hit and I started to be cold most of the time if it's under 70 or so.  For reason of keeping my bills low I've got the thermostat set to 70 and I wear sweat shirts most of the time.

I'm not sure but I don't think imaginary numbers can be negative.  It's been a few years since I took a math course of any sort, much less 1 that dealt with imaginary numbers.

On 10/26/2021 at 1:34 PM, mlooney said:

I'm not sure but I don't think imaginary numbers can be negative.  It's been a few years since I took a math course of any sort, much less 1 that dealt with imaginary numbers.

Imaginary numbers can be negative; both i and -i square to -1; the sign represents a rotational direction in the complex plane; conventionally, i is counterclockwise, -i is clockwise.

This is a case of things that are badly named, imaginary numbers crop up often enough in real world phenomenon that something like 'potential numbers' might have been better. They typically represent energy being stored as opposed to real numbers representing work being done or energy being converted to waste heat.

Anything bouncy has an i component.

On 10/25/2021 at 7:28 PM, mlooney said:

If I recall correctly I'm moldier and oldier than you.

I believe you are oldier, but catching up, percentage-wise.

I'm actually not all that moldy, because, as Kermit said, 'It ain't easy being green".

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

This is a case of things that are badly named, imaginary numbers crop up often enough in real world phenomenon that something like 'potential numbers' might have been better. They typically represent energy being stored as opposed to real numbers representing work being done or energy being converted to waste heat.

Imaginary numbers got their name because they were the first non-real numbers to receive serious study, and so, since they did not refer to a physical realizable quantity, they were dubbed “imaginary”.

16 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I'm actually not all that moldy, because, as Kermit said, 'It ain't easy being green".

Last time I was "green" I was in the army.  Damn straight it wasn't easy being green!

16 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

as Kermit said, 'It ain't easy being green

Thanks

Now I'm thinking of the scene at Jim Henson's memorial service where Big Bird sang "Bein' Green"

I may just need to set that on a loop as white noise while I sleep

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I may just need to set that on a loop as white noise while I sleep

I wish white noise worked for me to sleep to.  I have trouble if there is noise with what sounds like words as I try to hear them.

Maybe try "pink noise".

The difference: proper white noise has the same amount of energy at every frequency in the covered range. Proper pink noise has the same energy in each octave.

I have my computer playing it nonstop (I mute it when I want to listen to something on the computer) to drown out the blather from the television. For me, it works better than white noise and is less distracting.

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I have my computer playing it nonstop (I mute it when I want to listen to something on the computer) to drown out the blather from the television. For me, it works better than white noise and is less distracting.

I don't have any thing other than ambient neighborhood noises, so I don't really need to drown out anything.

<goes to YouTube-searches 'pink noise  - plays first one that comes up>

Ah, no.  That would drive me up a wall in less than an hour.

I find trains running to be relaxing and sleep inducing, probably not too close. Has to do with where we lived when I was little, and trains still ran.

Some noise in the background feels like security. Even the house hums; fans, furnace noises, just stuff. I can tolerate absolute quiet, but don't prefer it. Sounds too weird.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

My own preference is for the sound of rain falling, with soft thunder in the distance.

I used to like the sound of rain falling, and I still do to an extent but given that rain fronts cause me pain for the last few years, I'm not normally in a position to like the sound.