• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

The Saga of the New Notebook

I've mitigated the situation by way of a pair of 2' extension cables on the wall-to-power brick run. Those have allowed me to get the power bricks off the floor and have given me enough slack so that walking by that side of the coffee table is no longer dangerous. I lose some table real estate, but I gain some safety.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:04 PM, Don Edwards said:

Heh. I think I bought this laptop - a refurb HP Elitebook, for under $400. Nothing spectacular... the more optimistic benchmarks say the processor runs at a bit under 1/3 the speed of the best available.

Came with a 128GB SSD in the M.2 form factor, and 8G RAM. But it also had a free RAM slot, and a space for a 2.5" hard drive.

My old laptop, which had several minor hardware issues, had an almost-new 2.5" 1-terabyte SSD, and 4G RAM. Guess what got moved over...

Now if I could figure out why this machine won't boot off a Win7/32 install disk or thumb drive... Linux install media work just fine... I have an old game I'd like to run, and emulators and virtual machines aren't working...

-- edit: figured that out, but all my hard drives have UEFI/gpt partition tables and Win7 won't install on that. Or on a thumb drive.

Win7/32? I'm pretty sure that 32-bit versions of Windows balk at being presented with more than 4 GB of RAM.