• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

New Music Release Thread

Sound really cool.  It's been a few years since I've danced a pavane, but that seems a bit fast.

We had a viscountess in  Drachenwald that really loved them.  Lots of the fighters though they were a bit slow.  Then of course some one did "The Quasimodo pavane" which involved jumping and pretending to have a hump.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Sound really cool.  It's been a few years since I've danced a pavane, but that seems a bit fast.

Thank you. As for the speed, it's quarter note = 88 bpm, so it's not terribly fast. I don't know what the traditional pavane runs at, sorry. I blame artistic license. :lol:

I think I ruined Mrs. Prof's morning. She apparently didn't realize (or had forgotten) that a pavane was a 16th / 17th century dance in slow duple time. She just thought it was a name I'd come up with for my song. Seriously, she'd forgotten about Ravel's and Faure's Pavanes. So, when I referred to @mlooney's answer, she was thrown for a loop and accused me of being my usual elitist academist self once again (I wasn't). Things are patched up now, fortunately.

7 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Oh, and I tried playing my Pavane at 72 bpm and at 76 bpm - the verdicts were no. Too plodding, too ponderous. 88 bpm is it for me, thankyouverymuch. ;)

Lots of pavanes are, in fact, plodding or ponderous.  That's part of the reason that a prince of Drachenwald more or less banned them from The Presence.  Was his 2nd act as prince.  Viscountess Regina was Not Pleased.  

I have good news! "Pavane" is tentatively scheduled for play on the Classics à la Carte radio program on San Antonio public radio station KPAC, 88.3 FM, sometime this Friday, April 14th, between 7pm and 9pm CDT. You'll be able to listen to the show through the link below, I believe, or if you have an Amazon Alexa device, simply say "Alexa, play KPAC-FM."

Full disclosure: Classics à la Carte is hosted by my brother-in-law, James Baker. KPAC-FM is a member of Texas Public Radio.

https://www.tpr.org/show/classics-a-la-carte

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Summer is daylight time, so yes it would be CDT.

?!?!? WTH!? You're right! - I looked it up, and  . . . I've been using DT and ST backward for years. Not the actual times, the names.

Yep, it's Central Daylight Time currently in Texas, so CDT.

In other news, the "tentative" label has been changed to "definite!" I've been told that my "Pavane" will be played as part of a group of other pavanes during the first half hour. Tune in early so you won't miss it!

https://www.tpr.org/show/classics-a-la-carte

The host of the show last night (again, my brother-in-law) was very nice to me in his on-air description of "Pavane," and the entire segment about pavanes in general was quite interesting. I hope you tuned in to hear it.

Now, on to the future! I leave for San Antonio at around 11am CDT today so that I can attend tomorrow evening's rehearsal with Nu-metal band Agony. Prior to the rehearsal, we've got a concert to attend with the same brother-in-law tonight. We'll be seeing the San Antonio Philharmonic orchestra, who'll be performing the following pieces:

Barber’s Adagio for Strings
Mozart Concert Aria “Bella mia fiamma”
Barber Knoxville Summer of 1915
Mozart Symphony No. 40

Mrs. Prof and her brother will be going off and doing something tomorrow on their own. Then, just before 5pm, Mrs. Prof will be dropping me off at the rehearsal on the east side of San Antonio.

Can you tell I've been overplanning this for weeks now? ;) I'm stoked to finally be around other musicians again. If I get the chance, I'll drop a line to describe the experience while I'm down there. No guarantees.

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Prior to the rehearsal, we've got a concert to attend with the same brother-in-law tonight. We'll be seeing the San Antonio Philharmonic orchestra, who'll be performing the following pieces:

Barber’s Adagio for Strings
Mozart Concert Aria “Bella mia fiamma”
Barber Knoxville Summer of 1915
Mozart Symphony No. 40

Some how this doesn't sound like something that you would watch or listen to before going to a session with a nu-metal band.

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

Some how this doesn't sound like something that you would watch or listen to before going to a session with a nu-metal band.

And in the end, it wasn't. We got a late start and didn't make it down here in time.

I never did remark on the rehearsal. It went just fine. Lots of fun - it was good to be working with other musicians again. We did several runthroughs, but settled on three major takes. I liked the middle take the best. Sorry, I can't post it yet. ;)  The band is going to go into the recording studio next weekend. I might be called upon to do some post-production work.

I think they're going to do a sneak preview of the piece at their concert this weekend in San Antonio. No idea how that's going to work out without me cueing up the synth solo file.

Just got off the phone with my pain management doctor's surgical scheduler. I'm going to have a pain block procedure done to block the receptors affecting my right shoulder. It's going to happen some time on Tuesday of next week (the 25th). Real quick scheduling. We'll see if the surgery does any good.

EDIT: Don't know why I put this in this thread. Sorry.

The recording session for the Nu-metal version of my song "Stalker" by San Antonio group Agony went down last night, and I hear it went down well. I'm now waiting on receiving the stems and any other audio data that might come from the session so that I can do mixing and mastering of the final song. I'm really looking forward to working on it!

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT:

ComeGetSomePromo01.jpg

My collaboration with San Antonio Nü-Metal group Agony, "Come Get Some," will drop on May 26th, 2023! It'll be available on all major digital stores and streaming outlets. Groovy! :)

You come into my town
And now it's going down
You get up in my way
And now you gotta pay
You had to cross the line
You're running out of time
The line of sight is clear
I'll make you disappear

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Has anyone had a chance to listen to the song? I would really appreciate some feedback if you have. Links like YouTube and SoundCloud are free!

I listened to it.  It's well done "Cookie Monster" metal.  Not exactly my favorite type of metal, but it's well done.

On 5/27/2023 at 1:28 PM, mlooney said:

I listened to it.  It's well done "Cookie Monster" metal.  Not exactly my favorite type of metal, but it's well done.

"Me say growl easier than learn to play instrument."