• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
hkmaly

NP Wednesday November 16, 2016

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp.php?id=539

Considering that Catalina SEE how the jackets stick out (she could easily TOUCH the reason), what exactly is she imagining? Baseball? :)

Also, is that REAL popcorn Pandora is eating?

... ok, the question what is the rookie mistake is probably more important than if that popcorn is real. Uh ... does the shrunk Catalina being inside enlarged jacket cause the spells to interfere with each other?

(When Rhoda was getting bigger eating enlarged cookie, was it specific to eating or was it simply because she was having the cookie inside?)

Also, did we already saw the thing Pandora was surprised about or will there be more?

Ok, so Pandora is expecting something to go wrong with this plan, I'm not sure why kind of mistake she's talking about, but something tells me it's not going to happen.

This is just based on the fact that everything else that Pandora's expected has turned out wrong...well aside from no one noticing that Catalina had transformed a bit.

Is the "Rookie Mistake" that when Catalina tries to "turn back" she won't yet have the skill to resist just one enchantment and will throw off any other enchantments at the same time (such as the shrinking enchantment Rhoda put on her)?

13 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Remind me.  To where does Catalina's mass disappear?  A stretched out pocket should not be capable of supporting the mass of an adult human female.

Grace found that strange too, but frankly, would Sarah able to pick her up otherwise?

(The answer might be related to non-euclidean space bending, dark and exotic matter ... or just magic.)

4 minutes ago, Haylo said:

Is the "Rookie Mistake" that when Catalina tries to "turn back" she won't yet have the skill to resist just one enchantment and will throw off any other enchantments at the same time (such as the shrinking enchantment Rhoda put on her)?

No. First, changing back IMHO shouldn't disrupt other enchantments ... but more importantly, that wouldn't matter, as she is NOT planning to turn back until outside the mall.

27 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Remind me.  To where does Catalina's mass disappear?  A stretched out pocket should not be capable of supporting the mass of an adult human female.

Magic? I'm not sure if it was ever explained.

57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Never trust the legitimacy of popcorn. I have enough intuition to say that she "got" it from the shop near the theaters.

(Potential) Rookie mistake #2: Catalina might fall off the jacket, if not careful. Even with pockets, mistakes WILL happen.

10 minutes ago, Stature said:

(Potential) Rookie mistake #2: Catalina might fall off the jacket, if not careful. Even with pockets, mistakes WILL happen.

I don't think so. That's not an enchanting mistake, it's a plain old physics mistake.  Not saying it can't happen, just that I don't think it's what Pandora is referring to.

I think the rookie enchanting mistake they're making is related to this. Having clothes close to your body (like when wearing them) lets the clothing benefit from your magical resistance. So logically, having a tiny person close to your body would let said person benefit from your magical resistance (and maybe vice versa).

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

17 minutes ago, Stature said:

Never trust the legitimacy of popcorn. I have enough intuition to say that she "got" it from the shop near the theaters.

Quick! Look for a ferret selling popcorn!

I figure the "mistake" will be one or both of the following:

1) The shrink magic and growth magic will interfere with or cancel each other out over time

2) Since she is currently maintaining two spells, their duration will be half as long as she expects.

Also, I now have a craving for popcorn. :)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Hammerspace.

Hey, I'm writing characters who can gain or lose 800-1400 pounds (one set amount per character, and they have to alternate between gaining and losing) in a split second, with no known limit on how often or frequently they do so. Relativity is obviously out on its lunch break.

(Certain other aspects of physics are NOT, though. Putting on that much weight that quickly tends to cause severe damage to clothing.)

4 hours ago, Zathael said:

1) The shrink magic and growth magic will interfere with or cancel each other out over time

I think you are correct, because putting the cookie in her mouth made Rhoda start growing (note there only seems to be one bite out of the cookie and she's still chewing). I think putting shrunken Catalina in the jacket of enlarged Rhoda is gonna be all sorts of hijinks-inducing.

Edited by EmpactWB
Spelling

Even if Pandora 'wanted' to tell them about the rookie mistake, she couldn't. Because technically, Rhoda and Catalina are 'alone' in the dressing room. She'd have to explain what she was even doing in there, spying on them.

Besides, Success is not built on Success. It's built on Failure. It's built on Frustration. Sometimes it's built on Catastrophe.

I'm thinking Catalina-strophe here.

1 hour ago, Darkxemjas said:

Even if Pandora 'wanted' to tell them about the rookie mistake, she couldn't. Because technically, Rhoda and Catalina are 'alone' in the dressing room. She'd have to explain what she was even doing in there, spying on them.

Besides, Success is not built on Success. It's built on Failure. It's built on Frustration. Sometimes it's built on Catastrophe.

I'm thinking Catalina-strophe here.

Pandora isn't much for explaining about the why or the how when appearing before someone. She's seen it all, and probably tried everything that looked the least bit interesting herself. She's also jaded enough that modesty isn't the first thing she thinks of. So if she wanted to warn them she'd have no problem popping into view inside that changing room.

No, modesty or respect for privacy isn't something Pandora is known for. What's keeping her from seriously contemplating warning the girls is the ever increasing chance for high jinx .

9 hours ago, Howitzer said:

I don't think so. That's not an enchanting mistake, it's a plain old physics mistake.  Not saying it can't happen, just that I don't think it's what Pandora is referring to.

Eh, I claim my own projection as such. Who knows what they could do, seeing it is their first time doing these kind of escapades.

8 hours ago, Zathael said:

Also, I now have a craving for popcorn. :)

Four uncooked bags of popcorn ready for microwaving, coming riiight up!

9 hours ago, EmpactWB said:

I think you are correct, because putting the cookie in her mouth made Rhoda start growing (note there only seems to be one bite out of the cookie and she's still chewing). I think putting shrunken Catalina in the jacket of enlarged Rhoda is gonna be all sorts of hijinks-inducing.

Rhoda is going to look pregnant with Catalina before they get out of the mall...at least.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I did not find the word-of-god reference I was looking for, but iirc it has been established that The Shive originally planned on accounting for mass during transformations but later decided against it, even giving a pretend reason for graces power set changing. Does anyone have better references than these? I'm pretty sure those exist.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The same place Grace stores her extra mass. Hammerspace? Pocket universe? (Edward's storage closet has to be one.)

Remember, the laws of physics in the Moperverse are more like polite suggestions.

4 hours ago, EmpactWB said:

I actually think it's closer to the second one:

2) Since she is currently maintaining two spells, their duration will be half as long as she expects.

Although I don't think it's exactly that, but more like Pandora expects the duration of Catalina's shrink enchant to end before Rhoda gets her out of the pocket.

What I'm thinking will happen though is similar to:

9 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I think the rookie enchanting mistake they're making is related to this. Having clothes close to your body (like when wearing them) lets the clothing benefit from your magical resistance. So logically, having a tiny person close to your body would let said person benefit from your magical resistance (and maybe vice versa).

So Rhoda's resistance may help maintain Catalina's shrunken form until they get somewhere that Catalina can attempt to return to normal.

Still this is something that Pandora should know about shouldn't it? Or is what Tedd's been learning about resistances and durations brand new for even Immortals?