• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday November 18, 2016

45 minutes ago, partner555 said:

Hahahaha!!! Impossible customer demands! Poor Tensaided.

Cars, or Toy Story would probably be enough for 6 year olds.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Cars, or Toy Story would probably be enough for 6 year olds.

Are you crazy?

Cars glorifies driving and even worse, racing! Thats both dangerous and polluting. Think of the Children!

And Toy Story is unbridled propaganda for the military complex, encouraging macho culture and weapon fetish. Think of the Children!

Did Dan choose the "Children's Movie" gag because this is the 18 November comic?

This is the birthday of an individual of unique importance to the field of Children's Movies.

Wikipedia said:

Steamboat Willie premiered at Universal's Colony Theater in New York City on November 18, 1928.[15] The film was distributed by Celebrity Productions and its initial run lasted two weeks. Disney was paid $500 a week which was considered a large amount at the time.[14] It played ahead of the independent feature film Gang War. Steamboat Willie was an immediate hit while Gang War is all but forgotten today.

3 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Are you crazy?

Cars glorifies driving and even worse, racing! Thats both dangerous and polluting. Think of the Children!

And Toy Story is unbridled propaganda for the military complex, encouraging macho culture and weapon fetish. Think of the Children!

Well, then there's basically nothing that would fit the requirements.

When I was 6, new "children's movies" at the time included "The Goonies", "Back to the Future", "Pee-wee's Big Adventure", "Black Cauldron", "Return to Oz".

I know of one movie that is arguably without any content worth arguing over!

Sleeping With Minako!

It's literally just 6 hours of a random teenager tossing and turning while she sleeps, designed to make the ciewer fall asleep.

It's boring but fascinatingly so.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

When I was 6, new "children's movies" at the time included "The Goonies", "Back to the Future", "Pee-wee's Big Adventure", "Black Cauldron", "Return to Oz".

Remember that the customers are a gaggle of grandparents who "are in total disagreement as to what is appropriate content."

So... The Goonies? Seriously? The Goonies has an overall unsettling tone of sourness hanging over it. It's a little bit mean. Like we're watching an adventure that will turn these kids into bullies. Think of the children!

As for Back to the Future... A movie about a kid who spends his free time in the house of a creepy old man. A movie where the kid's father spends his time up in a tree spying on the kid's mother as she undress. A movie with a rape scene, and lots of foul language. Think of the Children!

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure isn't much better. A movie about a creepy retard who is played by a sex offender! Think of the Children!

OK, I'll stop there, you get the idea. What you think is acceptable, or even good clean fun, someone is bound to find totally unacceptable and bordering on perversion.

Just now, Cpt. Obvious said:

Remember that the customers are a gaggle of grandparents who "are in total disagreement as to what is appropriate content."

So... The Goonies? Seriously? The Goonies has an overall unsettling tone of sourness hanging over it. It's a little bit mean. Like we're watching an adventure that will turn these kids into bullies. Think of the children!

As for Back to the Future... A movie about a kid who spends his free time in the house of a creepy old man. A movie where the kid's father spends his time up in a tree spying on the kid's mother as she undress. A movie with a rape scene, and lots of foul language. Think of the Children!

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure isn't much better. A movie about a creepy retard who is played by a sex offender! Think of the Children!

OK, I'll stop there, you get the idea. What you think is acceptable, or even good clean fun, someone is bound to find totally unacceptable and bordering on perversion.

I wasn't saying that those examples were any better, just that google searching "children's movies 1985" brought up that list.

Heck I what I vaguely remember of "Return to Oz" was a fair amount of nightmare fuel, I think Dorothy had been institutionalized after her first trip.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Did Dan choose the "Children's Movie" gag because this is the 18 November comic?

This is the birthday of an individual of unique importance to the field of Children's Movies.

Maybe Tensaided will recommend Song of the South. Or how about Dumbo, with its charming singing crows? Hey, none of the geezers are African-American.

I have worked as a librarian and as such, had to deal with teachers bringing their entire class to the library. So I can sympathize with Tensaided here. Dealing with groups of clients or customers is hard. In fact, Tensaided has it even harder then usual, for he has to bring everyone in this group to the same conclusion. That's pretty much impossible.

1 hour ago, RainbowWizard said:

I know of one movie that is arguably without any content worth arguing over!

Sleeping With Minako!

It's literally just 6 hours of a random teenager tossing and turning while she sleeps, designed to make the ciewer fall asleep.

That film was probably inspired by Andy Warhol's film Sleep from 1963. It's the same thing, a man sleeping for six hours. Don't miss Warhol's exciting follow-up, Empire (1964), which is eight hours of The Empire State building. 

The films are of course not meant to be watched. It is the very idea or concept of the films that are interesting, not the films themselves. They were only filmed in the first place to make the idea of them more powerful.

48 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

I have worked as a librarian and as such, had to deal with teachers bringing their entire class to the library. So I can sympathize with Tensaided here. Dealing with groups of clients or customers is hard. In fact, Tensaided has it even harder then usual, for he has to bring everyone in this group to the same conclusion. That's pretty much impossible.

That film was probably inspired by Andy Warhol's film Sleep from 1963. It's the same thing, a man sleeping for six hours. Don't miss Warhol's exciting follow-up, Empire (1964), which is eight hours of The Empire State building. 

The films are of course not meant to be watched. It is the very idea or concept of the films that are interesting, not the films themselves. They were only filmed in the first place to make the idea of them more powerful.

I would compare them to John Cage's 4'33" but Cage did want that to be "played"

Edited by mlooney
Freaking auto correct.

20 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I would compare them to John Cage's 4'33" but Cage did want that to be "played"

A good comparison is perhaps another Cage's piece: As Slow As Possible. The composition is only eight notepages long, and can be performed in 20 minutes. But as the name implies, you can play it slow. Very slow, in fact. 24 hours is the longest performance by a single person so far.

And a machine can play it even slower and longer. So after Cage's death some interesting people have rigged an organ in a German church to play the piece for 639 years, starting in 2001.  Let that sink in: 639 years. Organs are durable instruments, and can last that long with maintenance. The bellows are driven with electricity. Each single chord sounds for years. You can listen to the present chord on the official site of the project( which is all in german). It's the player on the right, under the words "aktueller klang".

Again, this is a case of art where the idea and the very existence of the work is more important than experiencing the work itself. And personally I love the idea, it's delightfully insane and awe-inspiring in scope.  Also, the sheer belief in the future the project represents warms my otherwise rather pessimistic heart.

Well, I've gone really off-topic now, haven't I?

3 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

You can listen to the present chord on the official site of the project( which is all in german). It's the player on the right, under the words "aktueller klang".

Adobe literally means dried mud.  Flash want's an update to play that. Le Sigh.

3 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

We have seen worse. :P

15 hours ago, Stature said:

Total disagreement? That does not sound good. Tensaided, please cover for Susan if you can.

I don't think having Susan there would help. In fact, having more people there could make this HARDER. I'm sure if Susan was there, the grandparents would insist calling her superior at some point.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Disney was paid $500 a week which was considered a large amount at the time.

Good old days ...

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm not sure how good I remember being 6, but I'm sure I didn't wanted to watch "age appropriate" movies then.

4 hours ago, RainbowWizard said:

Sleeping With Minako!

I found only sleeping with Hinako and that one seems little pervy ... but is just 45 minutes so it's probably something completely else.

24 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

Again, this is a case of art where the idea and the very existence of the work is more important than experiencing the work itself.

Yes, I guess not many people would experience all 639 years of it ...

21 minutes ago, mlooney said:
25 minutes ago, Sweveham said:

We have seen worse. :P

Don't give up, we just started.

22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Please don't say that.  Some people might take it as a challenge.
Me, for example on a weird day/night.

Arguably, the meta-discussion regarding off-topicness and your meta-meta-comment on this discussion might be less on-topic than a post that found its way here on a relatively short and logical path from on-topic stuff.

Of course, I'm trying to start a meta-meta-meta-discussion about this, even without taking on any challenges, so your warning was not exactly misplaced.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wasn't saying that those examples were any better, just that google searching "children's movies 1985" brought up that list.

Heck I what I vaguely remember of "Return to Oz" was a fair amount of nightmare fuel, I think Dorothy had been institutionalized after her first trip.

It doesn't only happen to Dorothy either...

47 minutes ago, mlooney said:
59 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Don't give up, we just started.

Please don't say that.  Some people might take it as a challenge.
Me, for example on a weird day/night.

It's not challenge. There is nothing challenging on it. It's significantly easier than taking candy from baby.

2 hours ago, Hermann Döppes said:

Arguably, the meta-discussion regarding off-topicness and your meta-meta-comment on this discussion might be less on-topic than a post that found its way here on a relatively short and logical path from on-topic stuff.

Of course, I'm trying to start a meta-meta-meta-discussion about this, even without taking on any challenges, so your warning was not exactly misplaced.

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym