• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Illjwamh

Favorite Fictional Universes?

I don't know what got me thinking about this today, but I've had conversations about this before with friends, and I was just wondering what everyone here counts among their favorite fictional universes?

For this to count, there has to be extensive world building involved, and multiple entries within it (i.e. a series, multiple films or books, cross-media, or some combination thereof). Also, I'm not counting things that are basically our world with one or two small differences - like the Fast and the Furious franchise (which would not have made my list anyway, but just as a point of reference).

Things that purportedly take place in our world but contain fantastical hidden worlds alongside the familiar mundane, like Artemis Fowl, are fair game.

I'll also point out that this is a "favorite universes" list, which is distinct from "favorite stories". A universe is a setting, and may or may not contain several distinct stories within it, some good, some bad.

I'm not limiting this to a TOP 10 format either, since I'd probably just end up either forcing myself to come up with a full ten, thus including things that shouldn't really be on a "favorites" list, or else having to go beyond 10 by including a bunch of "honorable mentions", so the list will simply go until I don't have anything left that I like enough to want to include.

And lastly, this is just for fun, entirely subjective, and mostly a result of me just liking to make and read lists of things. I'm sure that will surprise many of you to learn about me.

1. Star Wars

2. One Piece

3. Harry Potter/Wizarding World

4. Avatar (Last Airbender/Legend of Korra)

5. Wheel of Time

6. DC

7. Marvel

8. Dragon Age

9. Song of Ice and Fire

10. Percy Jackson

11, Middle Earth

12. Narutoverse

13. Attack on Titan

14. Mortal Kombat

There are some that might well make my list someday that I just haven't seen/read enough of yet, like Discworld or The Land of Ooo (from Adventure Time). If any of you know more that I should delve into, let me know! Any and all mediums.

Well, I now have four published stories, and a fifth in progress, in the Extended Wapsiverse (a fanfiction universe based on and extremely similar to the canon universe of the webcomic Wapsi Square - but not identical because some stuff written in the EW was later invalidated by the comic).

I also read a lot of Zootopia fanfic (but very little of the alternate-universe stuff) and follow a few stories on r/HFY. Unfortunately my favorite Zootopia fanfic hasn't had an update in two years...

Other stuff, I have multiple universes and only one of them has even a second story in progress... although another story has altered from my initial plan and I don't know yet if it got longer, or acquired a sequel.