• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So this was the kind of weapon Billy the Kid would use to rob passengers traveling from St Louis to San Francisco?

/me says that is sorta pun.  That's about as close as you can get and it not be one.  Watch yourself there...

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So this was the kind of weapon Billy the Kid would use to rob passengers traveling from St Louis to San Francisco?

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

/me says that is sorta pun.  That's about as close as you can get and it not be one.  Watch yourself there...

That is clearly a pun.  This is 'sort of a pun', a Pun of a Gun, if you will ...

After ignoring video games for a bit, I decided to boot up Raft again. I've explored the next two story islands and acquired all the blueprints. Now that I've researched everything available until the next big update, my plan is to do the same thing as before: float around, gather resources, and build up my raft. Currently I'm working on an actual area for my biofuel setup. The main thing is I don't know if making a room completely enclosed with walls will stop the seagulls from getting in. I've heard that having multiple layers of ceiling will keep them out entirely, but that means putting it right in the middle of the entire raft, which means I'd have to move a lot of things. Afterwards, I need to make places for animals, and the bottleneck for that is dirt, of all things.

Nintendo also dropped a Pokemon-centric Nintendo Direct.

• First, there's either an animated or animatronic Pikachu in Mr. Ishihara's office, probably the former. It blinks weird.
  • Pokemon Go is getting an update featuring Alola region Pokemon. The whole lot of Sun/Moon Pokemon will drop on March 1, but until then we'll get Alolan Exeggutor all over.
  • Pokemon Masters EX will be getting a Victory Road update and a few new characters.
  • Pokemon Cafe Remix will get some new Pokemon, a delivery service in the form of Pelipper (Mystery Dungeon flashbacks, anyone?), and a few limited log-in bonuses starting now and lasting for a few days.
  • Pokemon Unite is hosting a Pokemon Day event, featuring "Full-Fury Battles", a new quick battle mode that appears to give access to every Pokemon currently available with every move they can use. Hoopa is also unlocked as of this event, and Duraludon will be unlocked in the future.
  • Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl will have the Shaymin event for the next month. From now until March 27, the Oak's Letter will be available as a Mystery Gift item, letting players access the location in which Shaymin is caught, just like in the original Diamond and Pearl.
  • Pokemon Legends: Arceus will soon (as in, today) get a Version 1.1.0 update, titled Daybreak. This free update will involve mass outbreaks of Pokemon and battles with other trainers.
  • Production of an online animated series set in the Hisui region has begun.
  • Finally, an interesting production starting with something live-action as the lead-up to the next thing. It looks like a new region. Big open world design, new locations... ...Yep, new starters. Grass-type cat, Fire-type reptile thing, Water-type duck. Pokemon Scarlet and Pokemon Violet! GEN 9 ON THE WAY, BOYS! Late 2022.

1 hour ago, Zorua said:

Fire-type reptile thing, Water-type duck.

Wouldn't the fire type reptile thing just be a dragon?  And a water type duck sounds like a normal duck to me.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Wouldn't the fire type reptile thing just be a dragon?  And a water type duck sounds like a normal duck to me.

I mean, we already have Psyduck and Ducklett, though I do think the former is a platypus instead.

Alright, so the starter trio's names dropped, and between them and the region's architecture, people are saying this region is based on Spain.

The Grass-type cat is Sprigatito. Sprig is an agriculture term for, quote Wikipedia, a type of plant cutting used for propogation. Gatito is Spanish for kitten (gato "cat" + -ito, a diminutive suffix). Its Japanese name is Nyaoha, which appears to be nyā (onomatopoeia for cat noises) and ha (leaf).

The Fire-type reptile is Fuecoco. If we're assuming Spanish (and since it has "coco" in the name, I think after one of Pixar's recent endeavors that's an easy thing to think), then "fue" comes from fuego, Spanish for fire (it's the Fire-type starter, after all), and "coco" comes from cocodrilo, Spanish for crocodile. It does have that vague crocodilian shape, now that I'm looking at it, though it admittedly does also have a theropod dinosaur shape too. Its Japanese name, Hogēta, appears to be a combination of hot and gator as well.

The Water-type duck is Quaxly (ENG) or Kuwassu (JP). Nothing overly Spanish about its name here, though; it evokes the word "quack" which is pretty self-explanatory for a duck. Its feet are blue, however, so Quaxly might also be based on the blue-footed booby (wait, will the forum censors let me say that?). [Edit: yes they will, apparently.]

25 minutes ago, Zorua said:

booby (wait, will the forum censors let me say that?). [Edit: yes they will, apparently.]

I don't think that the censors work any more.  I know I use [redacted] by hand when I say one of the 7 words you can't say on television.

22 hours ago, mlooney said:

Ah, but dragon-type is a different thing from fire-type. (Or at least it was back in the early days of the series; I haven't been keeping up.)

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Ah, but dragon-type is a different thing from fire-type. (Or at least it was back in the early days of the series; I haven't been keeping up.)

Given that eastern dragons aren't always fire breathers, I can see there being two types.

A firey lizard might draw from myths of salamanders as creatures of fire.

I can see them using Spain (or possibly the entire Iberian Peninsula including Portugal) as the new region—they have already used France (Kalos) and Britain (Galor). Possible future regions based on Europe might include Italy, Greece, Germany, or Scandanavia.

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

I can see them using Spain (or possibly the entire Iberian Peninsula including Portugal) as the new region

Pokemon has regions?  I know so little about it, other than "Got to catch them all" and the CCG version damn near killed the table top gaming industry by starting a rush of other collectible games.  Dragon Dice killed TSR.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Pokemon has regions?  I know so little about it, other than "Got to catch them all" and the CCG version damn near killed the table top gaming industry by starting a rush of other collectible games.  Dragon Dice killed TSR.

Yep. Much like The Elder Scrolls and Grand Theft Auto, each new Pokemon generation brings a new setting to the table. Red and Blue have the Kanto region based on, well, the Kanto region of Japan. Gold and Silver introduced the Johto region based on the Kansai region. Ruby and Sapphire added the Hoenn region based on Kyūshū. Diamond and Pearl added Sinnoh based on Hokkaido. Black and White's Unova region broke the mold by being based on somewhere outside of Japan, specifically New York City. X and Y's Kalos region is based on northern France, Sun and Moon's Alola region is based on Hawaii, and Sword and Shield's Galar region is based on Great Britain. All of which have some tweaks and include things from surrounding areas, but yeah. Now it looks like Scarlet and Violet's new region will be based on Spain, but we're still missing a lot of details (including the name) so that's just a very best guess at this point.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

So, it's just background color then?  Or does it have an effect on game play?

Each new region has its game’s new Pokemon as native to that region, along with any new gameplay mechanics being part of that region’s ruleset (e.g. most regions have the “defeat eight gym leaders and then the Elite Four and reigning Champion” route, but Sun/Moon had the Island Captains and Kahunas instead, while Sword/Shield’s Galar region had the Pokemon League challenge structured like an actual athletic league with official televised matches). Other than that, it’s mostly just a setting for the story plot.

In the old school original Pokemon color cartridges, you had to trade certain pokemon from another game on another cartridge to get them (Red and Blue in the US, later Yellow special Pikachu version(Pikachu as your starting pokemon), and a green one in Asia). A bit of a P.I.T.A., because to get the other two of the three originals, you had to get someone to start a new game twice on another cartridge (guessing though, that wouldn't have to be a different color). I think you might be able to get around the need to trade now. It was brilliant marketing back in the day, kids would sell their friends on playing so they could trade with them.

I played for a while because one of my kids was into it and it was a thing to do with them. The game was mostly well done, challenging, but basically not impossible. There were some interesting and game ruining bugs. I never got far enough to experience them.

You still have to trade now, but starting with Black/White (5th generation, on DS), you can easily do it online with people nationwide or even internationally.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

You still have to trade now, but starting with Black/White (5th generation, on DS), you can easily do it online with people nationwide or even internationally.

Cool. The back in the day thing required a special cable. 

The only one that's piqued my interest since then is Pokemon Go. Never got into it, but the concept, using your cell phone as an augmented reality device, is kind of cool.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Cool. The back in the day thing required a special cable. 

Yeah, nowadays you only have to connect your 3DS or Switch to your Wi-Fi (or use your phone as a hotspot) and you can do Global Trades over the internet from within the game at Pokemon Centers.

Minecraft has begun official snapshots for version 1.19, starting with snapshot 22w11a. Features include:

• Deep Dark biome, a new underground biome covered in Sculk.
  • Sculk blocks, including the Sculk Sensor technically added in 1.17 but made inaccessible due to them wanting to work on it more; Sculk, basically a block of experience; Sculk Catalyst, which spreads Sculk if something dies near it; Sculk Veins, which are like a moss layer of Sculk; and Sculk Shriekers, which make very loud noises if triggered by nearby vibrations and will be able to summon the Warden (they don't do this yet because the Warden isn't in this snapshot yet, but give it time)
  • Mangrove, a new wood type. Trees and biome do not generate yet, though. Includes a log, stripped log, bark block, stripped bark block, planks, button, pressure plate, slab, boat, stairs, door, trapdoor, fence, fence gate, sign, and leaves. It also uses "propagules" instead of saplings, but currently these things only create oak trees.
  • Mangrove Roots, a very new type of block. They can also be waterlogged and don't leak water from any angle, which will make some farms a bit easier.
  • Mud, which will also generate in a new biome not yet added. Also includes Packed Mud, Mud Bricks, and assorted stairs, slabs, and walls for said mud bricks.
  • Muddy Mangrove Roots. Also a good decorative block.
  • Frogs and Tadpoles. Tadpoles grow into frogs, but which type of frog grows depends on the temperature of the biome the tadpole grows up in. You can also put a tadpole in a bucket.
  • Froglights, made when a Frog eats a small Magma Cube. There are three colors of froglight, depending on which type of frog does the eating.

I'm waiting to update my long-running survival world until 1.19 comes out. Currently it's in version 1.17.1. The main reason is because 1.18 onwards has added 64 blocks of terrain generation below the bedrock layer (bottom of the world has changed from y=0 to y=-64), but 1.19 will eventually add Deep Dark Cities, a new structure, to these sub-subterranean areas. Hopefully one will generate underneath the parts of the world I've already loaded, but I'm not too sure about that.

Currently I want to make a number of farms in Minecraft. I want a Drowned farm especially as one of my plans involves a lot of copper. There's a lot of steps needed to make the Drowned farm in the first place, so I think I'll start just by making a Creeper farm for just gunpowder. Think I'm gonna steal a lot of farm designs from the Shulkercraft YouTube channel, but I do have a couple of my own ideas. Honestly, the thing to do is to just...do it.

Been playing Minecraft some more. I built an Enderman farm. Never need Ender Pearls ever again, plus it's better than any other experience farm I've built yet. I actually got the design from Welsknight from the Hermitcraft server. 

Also, yesterday I found a spot to sit and idle where mobs wouldn't get to me and left the game running while I went to work. For thirteen hours straight. I basically never have to worry about my iron supplies ever again.

I also built a melon/pumpkin farm, which automatically feeds the excess into a Composter to get bone meal so I don't really have to worry about overflow. ...actually, I know I finished building it already, but maybe I could raise it up higher and put stuff underneath, use the excess bone meal for some other farms.

The main thing about my Minecraft world is that it's been updated so many times that I have to go really far away to find new stuff. It's at the point where biome-finder programs online don't match, sending me to a biome that doesn't exist. Fortunately there's an in-game command that locates a biome for me. Unfortunately, if I update the world any further, the new terrain generation will completely mess everything up and ruin even that command (e.g. I try to locate a swamp and it gives me the coordinates for a mountain). I've made a copy of the world to see where actual swamp, badlands, flower forest, and mushroom fields biomes can be found.

And they're really far away.

I'm going to connect them using the Nether, which will be rather perilous as the paths I've found to these coordinates go through open air through a Soul Sand Valley biome. What this means is I have to place a two-kilometer-long covered stone bridge over a lake of lava by hand while exposed to the air in an area in which giant flying murderghosts appear the most often to shoot explosive fireballs at me while staying far enough away that I can't even see where they're shooting from. Fun.

Then, when Minecraft 1.19 finally comes out, I have to go out even farther to find the new Mangrove Swamp biome. Or hope I get lucky with the Wandering Trader.

At least I have my automatic cobblestone farm now. Progress.

Meanwhile in the world of Minecraft snapshots, the Warden now has a ranged attack. A sonic scream that has insane range and hits through walls. ...FUN.

Not much in terms of games I've played other than adding a little bit to my Nether tunnel, but I did look around (a copy of) the world in Spectator mode and found a cave that had a horde of Zombies.

There's a chance that a baby Zombie will appear while riding a chicken, a chance referred to as a Chicken Jockey. If the player gets too far away, the baby Zombie will despawn, but since the chicken itself is a passive mob, it won't. Chickens also lay an egg every 5 to 20 minutes. Since this chicken exists in a pitch-black dark cave, it exists in the same darkness level that Zombies can spawn.

Zombies have a low possibility of being able to pick up items that are dropped on the ground, such as...eggs dropped by chickens. If a Zombie is holding an item it picked up, it will not despawn on its own, meaning it will persist in the world. And since this particular cave is entirely closed off, I didn't find it by running around lighting up caves, meaning it had been entirely ignored. In a cave close enough to areas I spent a lot of time in that there were plenty of chances for Zombies that could pick up items to spawn. The result was a horde of zombies some thirty-or-so strong just sitting there in a cave.

Now, this might be a good thing. The game has a few mob caps, limiting how many of certain types of mobs can exist at once. The more naturally-spawned zombies exist, the less can spawn anywhere else so long as the others are still loaded in the world. Putting a mechanism setup called a Chunk Loader in the right spot would keep this horde loaded, meaning zombies and other hostile overworld mobs wouldn't be able to spawn, making the game safer overall.

The problem is the horde was close enough to a hostile mob farm I'd built, one that relies on dark spaces for hostile mobs to spawn to funnel them into a kill chamber. If the horde is loaded, the horde adds to the hostile mob cap, meaning the farm becomes less efficient, and thus I get less resources out of it.

Ultimately, the horde had to go.

In terms of game update news, they added the Goat Horn which had been in Minecraft: Bedrock Edition's experimental versions for a little while now. Using it makes a sound that can be heard from a very far distance. They didn't just add one, but eight, each making different noises and giving a reason to make a goat farm. They're also adding a lot of bug fixes in the last couple of snapshots, which is usually a sign that the full version is around the corner.

21 hours ago, Zorua said:

There's a chance that a baby Zombie will appear while riding a chicken, a chance referred to as a Chicken Jockey. If the player gets too far away, the baby Zombie will despawn, but since the chicken itself is a passive mob, it won't. Chickens also lay an egg every 5 to 20 minutes. Since this chicken exists in a pitch-black dark cave, it exists in the same darkness level that Zombies can spawn.

Zombies have a low possibility of being able to pick up items that are dropped on the ground, such as...eggs dropped by chickens. If a Zombie is holding an item it picked up, it will not despawn on its own, meaning it will persist in the world. And since this particular cave is entirely closed off, I didn't find it by running around lighting up caves, meaning it had been entirely ignored. In a cave close enough to areas I spent a lot of time in that there were plenty of chances for Zombies that could pick up items to spawn. The result was a horde of zombies some thirty-or-so strong just sitting there in a cave.

This sounds like some of the strange things that happen in quantum physics. In particular, it reminds me of a layperson-friendly explanation of Hawking Radiation.

(Note: I say this as someone who is a layperson themself in regards to quantum physics, though I'm interested in it enough to be far better informed than the average person.)