• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Drachefly

A new Which EGS Character Are You quiz

Once upon a time, there was a personality quiz which identified your best-matching EGS character.

I think we could do that again. I can program the quiz easily enough - the hard part is the content: questions and scores for each character for each question.

We can start with the most-main characters and expand.

- I propose that we look at a pair of characters and propose a question that would distinguish them well. Then, we figure out how other characters would answer (for those we have a definite answer). Narrow the answers down a bit, and then score each answer for each character (if we don't know how the character would answer, score will be near 0; answers they would definitely not make would score negative).

We then repeat with another pair of characters - preferably two with similar answers so far, or no scores far from 0 - and repeat (toward the end I can guide our choice of characters by doing some statistics to see who looks most similar).

- Also, we'll need new banners.

- If it turns out to be reasonable to add lots of people, we can have multiple versions of characters based on which part of their character development you match best. This won't be too bad, since we can mostly reuse scores with a few tweaks. 2016 Nanase is still a lot like 2008 Nanase.

- But, we will still need to come up with a score for every answer of every question for each character we add, AND the number of questions and answers will need to increase as we add more characters - though, importantly, that increase can be sub-linear, and for more-fun-more-questions sake, we will probably have them sufficiently overspecified that we don't need to add more questions quickly as we add in characters.

What do you all think?

Star Wars or Star Trek?

I know Justin's likes Star Trek, we've seen him in a flashback trick or treating with Melissa dressed in Star Fleet uniforms, he first connected with Susan over her way of organizing the Trek movies and there was the Q&A about what he thought of the new movies He's also done Trek/Wars crossover RPs with Nanase. But I got the feeling he was more into Star Wars with the way he was determined to get Grace to watch the original (non special edition) trilogy, and then his connection with Luke over it. It's like "Star Trek is cool and fun to watch, but Star Wars is my jam."

With Susan, she's a complete Trekkie, her wardrobe seems to fit the theme, she own's all the movies, and presumably the complete box sets for every spinoff series. She talks about it every chances she gets. Heck, her logical side is portrayed as vulcan. I'm pretty certain she'll have seen Star Wars once or twice, so she'll get the references and such(and probably had a lot to say about Slave Leia), but for her it's like "Star Wars has it's place, but Star Trek is something very dear to me."

Q: Star Wars? Star Trek?

A1 - "Star Trek is cool and fun to watch, but Star Wars is my jam." + Justin +Tensaided?

A2 - "Star Wars has it's place, but Star Trek is something very dear to me." + Susan +Tensaided?

A3 - "No particular opinion." + Elliot -Justin -Susan +Grace? +Ellen? -Tensaided +Mr. Verres +Diane +Raven

A4 - "What about Star Blazers?" + Ashley -Elliot +Nanase +Greg

Also, we should decide who to include.

Tier 1 - must include: Tedd, Grace, Sarah, Elliot, Ellen, Nanase, Justin, Susan (Main 8)

Tier 2 - probably can include: Ashley, Diane, Mr. Verres, Raven, Greg, Tensaided, Mrs. Kitsune.

Tier 3 - might include: Noah, Charlotte, Sarah's sister, the other large comic book guy who isn't Tensaided. As information comes in, the guys from the card tournament.

Star Blazers is a horrible mangling of the Space Battleship Yamato series that it was derived from. They took all of the Japanese-ness out of it (including renaming the Yamato to the Argo) for the sake of making it more "international".

I suppose we could run the numbers for her, but I figured we don't actually know her all that well.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

Star Blazers is a horrible mangling of the Space Battleship Yamato series that it was derived from. They took all of the Japanese-ness out of it (including renaming the Yamato to the Argo) for the sake of making it more "international".

Sure, but I wanted it to start with 'Star'

10 hours ago, ijuin said:

My wife watched Star Blazers for years, so my knowledge of that one series exceeds my interest in the entire genre.

The name of the ship was Yamato. Never, not once, Argo.

(Unless they did a remake or something after she stopped watching it.)

The first time it was released for general broadcast in the US, they called the ship "Argo".

I hurried home from 8th grade to watch it.

Later releases attempted to mitigate some of the damage.  But for a generation of Americans, we thought the ship was the Argo and the crew spent their off duty time drinking spring water that was bottled on Earth before the surface became a radioactive wasteland..

questions, questions....

Color (meh)
Prefered pets?
Curiosity, impulsiveness/deliberateness, creativity
Introverted/extroverted

Personality tests are a good place to look for ideas

When faced with a potentially risky situation do you...

Look for a safe solution.

Jump right in and wing it.

Call for backup.

The first could apply to Tedd, Nanase or Sarah and maybe Charlotte or Diane, the second could apply to Elliot or Ellen, and probably Justin, Ashley, Catalina maybe Noah too. Third could be Grace, Susan, Tensaided, Melissa and Rhoda

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

When faced with a potentially risky situation do you...

Look for a safe solution.

Jump right in and wing it.

Call for backup.

The first could apply to Tedd, Nanase or Sarah and maybe Charlotte or Diane, the second could apply to Elliot or Ellen, and probably Justin, Ashley, Catalina maybe Noah too. Third could be Grace, Susan, Tensaided, Melissa and Rhoda

I feel like we have an example that proves Charlotte and Diane would be the third option: the current Main storyline.

Well maybe more for Diane then to be in the third option. Charlotte is all for investigating spooky stuff but wanted the group to research the details and narrow down where to look instead of just wandering around the city searching, that feels like a #1 choice to me.

40 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well maybe more for Diane then to be in the third option. Charlotte is all for investigating spooky stuff but wanted the group to research the details and narrow down where to look instead of just wandering around the city searching, that feels like a #1 choice to me.

Ah, but she called in backup for when it was go-time, and needed backup of those better versed in the subject to do the research as well. ...honestly, the third option is a bit of a subset of the first, to me. Most safe solutions involve calling in the backup that you know is better at the subject, if calling in backup is an option. I could change the oil of my car just fine. But the safest solution would be to call in an expert: my dad. And he could call in his buddy Rob who's a mechanic at a Kia dealership.

I rather like the idea of Pandora being one of the options.  Mr. Verres, too, and maybe Greg.

Ellen from Elliot would have to be how outgoing and impulsive Ellen is, vs how laid-back Elliot is.  Any question about going out of town would nail that distinction.

Now, some quizzes, every question and every answer is obviously steering you towards a specific result.  I've always likes quizzes where at least some of the options arn't obvious in their intent.  Any question which asks about where you want to go on vacation, and has an option for staying home, EGS readers will know picking "stay home" will mark them as Elliot.  Can anyone think of a more subtle way to ask that question?

24 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I rather like the idea of Pandora being one of the options.  Mr. Verres, too, and maybe Greg.

Ellen from Elliot would have to be how outgoing and impulsive Ellen is, vs how laid-back Elliot is.  Any question about going out of town would nail that distinction.

Now, some quizzes, every question and every answer is obviously steering you towards a specific result.  I've always likes quizzes where at least some of the options arn't obvious in their intent.  Any question which asks about where you want to go on vacation, and has an option for staying home, EGS readers will know picking "stay home" will mark them as Elliot.  Can anyone think of a more subtle way to ask that question?

Yes, I hate quizzes where the answers are too clear. Hnmmm... Maybe a question about instant gratification, with three answers, one where they go for it, one where they delay it for later, and one where they just coast? I dunno, still seems a tad too obvious to me there...(though that might still make for a good question.)

We should also probably have an idea about how many questions there should be. I vote for "More than 15, less than 50" to start out with, Anything less and you almost HAVE to be obvious about the answers, because you can't get any real nuance in.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm... good point.  So, in other words, the "obvious questions" are best avoided; what we want are the type of personality questions which may need some heavy-duty hotseating to actually profile, but which will produce a thorough, sub-ficial profile of the characters themselves.

Side-effects are also desirable, a particular answer-option formulated for, say, Susan may add, say 10 points to Susan but also add the odd point or two to those of the other characters which are more likely to agree / closer to agreeing with Susan than the others.

Yes, that's why I'm aiming them at distinguishing pairs of people rather than just promoting individuals. The same kind of distinction can also separate other people.

Hmm. I have a question that isn't particularly aimed at anyone...

Q: You read a science-fiction book about a inventor, but the inventions don't make sense. How do you react?

A1: "Silly inventions are the point!" - Kinda neutral. Anyone could take this attitude toward some story. Punting is OK, though, if we have enough.

A2: "I don't think I'd notice" -Tedd +Elliott +Ellen

A3: "Eh. I'm used to it." +Susan +Justin -Elliott -Ellen

A4: "Gaaaah" +Tedd

Who else?

You are offered a choice between supreme intelligence, supreme wisdom, supreme beauty, supreme discernment, supreme gracefulness, the inability to feel sad, and the ability to heal others (but not yourself).  What do you chose? [one of 7 possible answers]

What do people think?

1 hour ago, HarJIT said:

You are offered a choice between supreme intelligence, supreme wisdom, supreme beauty, supreme discernment, supreme gracefulness, the inability to feel sad, and the ability to heal others (but not yourself).  What do you chose? [one of 7 possible answers]

What do people think?

That's a hard one. Do we classify these on what the character would want, what they seem to value, what they seem to embody or more than one of these? (I'm doing by basically all three of those)

Supreme intelligence: Tedd, Nanase and Susan are all traditionally smart characters (they're all smart really, but these three pop out for this one the most, especially Nanase, as book smarts is something she seems to seek.)

Supreme wisdom: Elliot, sorta, Mr. Verres, Raven. Charlotte?

Supreme beauty: uuh, Diane? Some of the minor cast? Also, at least minor points for Tedd. 

Supreme Discernment: Justin. Charlotte.

Supreme gracefulness: ...Noah?

Inability to feel sad: ...whatever Justin's old girlfriend's name was, Grace, maybe Tedd? Those people who've put on false happy faces because this is really creepy.

Heal others: Grace, at least minor points to Ellen and Elliot

This isn't comprehensive at all, but some ideas