• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Drachefly

A new Which EGS Character Are You quiz

Okay, so suppose someone picks Supreme Beauty. How should we adjust the score for, say, Raven (either mom or son), Sarah, or Elliott, or Mr. Verres?

It seems to me that it would have to be large and negative, but it's hard to say HOW negative. Like, I can't really imagine answering that and ending up in the end as Mr. Verres. But I don't want questions to be knockouts like this answer, because it'll be all too easy to knock everyone out and only be left with unsatisfying fits.

Ideally many of the questions should overlap to the point where after they've all been answered, the character that appears in the most answers is the one that matches the person.

For example:

Question #1 answer A would have Elliot, Tedd, Susan, Noah, Ashley

Question #2 answer C would have Justin, Tensaided, Tedd, Susan, Elliot

Question #3 answer B would have Sarah, Grace, Tedd, Elliot, Ellen

Question #4 answer A would have Tedd, Ashley, Diane, Grace, Charlotte

Basically since all the answers refer to groups with Tedd appearing in them, then clearly "You are Tedd" would be the final result. All we have to do is come up with questions where answers don't cover the same exact groups too many times, there might be some leeway depending on how many questions there are but avoiding a tie would probably be difficult as is.

On 3/18/2016 at 10:18 AM, Drachefly said:

Given the ambiguity, I think we should look for a different question.

Maybe... let's try to distinguish Ellen from Elliot, or Nanase from Ashley.

Any ideas there?

In your base form, do you have great tracts of land?

11 hours ago, HarJIT said:

More or less.

I've been working on possible banners: http://m.imgur.com/a/UnOeJ What do people think about it?

They look great

5 hours ago, Drachefly said:

Okay, so suppose someone picks Supreme Beauty. How should we adjust the score for, say, Raven (either mom or son), Sarah, or Elliott, or Mr. Verres?

It seems to me that it would have to be large and negative, but it's hard to say HOW negative. Like, I can't really imagine answering that and ending up in the end as Mr. Verres. But I don't want questions to be knockouts like this answer, because it'll be all too easy to knock everyone out and only be left with unsatisfying fits.

I don't think Sarah would pick Supreme Beauty (Diane's the only one I think maybe would), but I don't think she should get negative points on it either. She does get kinda hung up on her appearance, and is envious of at least Nanase and her sister in that department.

3 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I don't think Sarah would pick Supreme Beauty (Diane's the only one I think maybe would), but I don't think she should get negative points on it either. She does get kinda hung up on her appearance, and is envious of at least Nanase and her sister in that department.

I had to reread this post several times.

At first I thought you were suggesting that Sarah was jealous of Nanase and [Nanase's] sister (Akiko).

It finally occurred to me as I was writing this response that you meant Sarah was jealous of Nanase and her (Sarah's own) sister (Carol).

Tedd already covered why it would not be unusual for anyone to feel jealousy towards Nanase.

But if an eighteen year old young woman is jealous of the appearance of a ten year old girl, there is probably a deeper psychological issue present.  And Sarah seems to be relatively well adjusted.  Aside from throwing the occasional couch.

9 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But if an eighteen year old young woman is jealous of the appearance of a ten year old girl, there is probably a deeper psychological issue present.  And Sarah seems to be relatively well adjusted.  Aside from throwing the occasional couch.

Well, she should be better adjusted after that "You're still smoking hot" comment from Ellen. ;)

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
5 hours ago, Wildcat said:

I had to reread this post several times.

At first I thought you were suggesting that Sarah was jealous of Nanase and [Nanase's] sister (Akiko).

It finally occurred to me as I was writing this response that you meant Sarah was jealous of Nanase and her (Sarah's own) sister (Carol).

Tedd already covered why it would not be unusual for anyone to feel jealousy towards Nanase.

Heh, maybe I should be a little more careful about that. Yeah I was trying to say Nanase and Sarah's sister.

I definitely don't think there's anything wrong with her for being jealous, it's understandable and she's pretty mature about it.

On 3/20/2016 at 3:10 AM, HarJIT said:

I've been working on possible banners: http://m.imgur.com/a/UnOeJ What do people think about it?

Hmm. There needs to be a little bit more padding between the different elements of the image, I feel (especially width-wise). The words and the character busts are a tad too cramped together. (Nanase is the best example of this. The "e" is almost in her ear. Allow the banners to be a bit wider to give some breathing room).

(I'd personally prefer a different font as well, and no gradient, but that's personal bias speaking, not something I feel is broken in the image).

EDIT: The old banners had a quick description of the character's personality. Will these as well? I kind of prefer them small like this, but maybe offering one that has the desc would be good too?

Edited by Matoyak
Added question, edited previous statements for clarity. Increased clarity caused unfortunate brusqueness though.

So, revisiting question 1. We need a score for every character for every answer. Here's what I've got so far (characters left blank as I haven't worked them out yet

Q: Star Wars? Star Trek?

A1 - "Star Trek is cool and fun to watch, but Star Wars is my jam."

A2 - "Star Wars has it's place, but Star Trek is something very dear to me."

A3 - "No particular opinion."

A4 - "What about <insert space anime here>?"

NAME - A1 score, A2 score, A3, score, A4 score

----------------------------------------------

Ashley  +4, +4, -6, +10 (she would have an opinion, I think)

Diane +2, -5, +6, -8 (would avoid ST and the question as a whole)

Ellen +2, 0, +5, -5 (could have picked up some from Nanase?)

Elliot +1, 0, +6, -10

Grace +3, +4, +3, -10  (May not know ST, but I think its ethos matches her well)

Greg

Justin +10, -5, -4, 0

Nanase  +3, 0, +2, +5

Pandora 0, +1, +8, 0 (+1 due to perhaps liking Q?)

Raven (son)

Sarah  0, +2,0,0 

Susan -5, +10, -2, -2

Tedd

Tensaided

Mr. Verres  -4, +8, +1, -3

Perhaps a good question would be how good a person is at games of skill. Characters such as Tensaided and George would clearly fall under that category, while Sarah has shown to have a talent for games (based on how she was able to win one round against one of the former, my memory is failing me). We have quite some content where Elliot and Ted are playing video games. I'd bet my money on Grace being supernaturally good at any game (and we know she loves video games).

Except... I don't really know any characters that are notably bad at games of any kind. I've never seen Ed Verres "play", but I have a hard time imagining him sucking at games. Same goes with Greg. Thoughts?

On 3/18/2016 at 0:02 AM, Wildcat said:

Supreme gracefulness: ...Noah?

Inability to feel sad: ...whatever Justin's old girlfriend's name was, Grace, maybe Tedd? Those people who've put on false happy faces because this is really creepy.

For these two aspects, I'd say Sarah and Diane respectively. I think Sarah would put more value in "gracefulness" than in raw beauty. Also, I like to imagine Diane as the kind of person that views feeling sad as more of a weakness and a very unpleasant feeling. Honestly, this could also go for Susan.

3 hours ago, Maplestrip said:

Perhaps a good question would be how good a person is at games of skill. Characters such as Tensaided and George would clearly fall under that category, while Sarah has shown to have a talent for games (based on how she was able to win one round against one of the former, my memory is failing me). We have quite some content where Elliot and Ted are playing video games. I'd bet my money on Grace being supernaturally good at any game (and we know she loves video games).

That one would be more difficult I think to just lump em in like that, because there's various types of games. Tendsaided seems all about tabletop games/rpgs, and with George, we've only seen him either play CCGs or pokemon. Both Sarah and Tedd play some CCGs, but also play video games, Sarah seems to like RPGs because she's played Skyrim and Tedd like strategy, god games and games that can be modded. Elliot and likely Ellen as well prefer multiplayer games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash "Goons" etc, same with Nanase. Justin is probably an even mix of tabletop, CCG, and videogames. Grace likes mainly platformers though she seems to want to try every genre (see chrono trigger NP story and the Fallout NV NP) but I don't see her being into anything ultraviolent like Mortal Kombat or any of the Call of Duty games . Susan....I think her "Likes to watch" trait would also apply to this oddly enough as the closest we've seen her play any thing was in the "Legend of Celida" bit and she was more interested in riffing on the game while Sarah played than playing it with Sarah, the only thing we've seen her do is messenger role playing with Justin.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

That one would be more difficult I think to just lump em in like that, because there's various types of games. Tendsaided seems all about tabletop games/rpgs, and with George, we've only seen him either play CCGs or pokemon. Both Sarah and Tedd play some CCGs, but also play video games, Sarah seems to like RPGs because she's played Skyrim and Tedd like strategy, god games and games that can be modded. Elliot and likely Ellen as well prefer multiplayer games like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash "Goons" etc, same with Nanase. Justin is probably an even mix of tabletop, CCG, and videogames. Grace likes mainly platformers though she seems to want to try every genre (see chrono trigger NP story and the Fallout NV NP) but I don't see her being into anything ultraviolent like Mortal Kombat or any of the Call of Duty games . Susan....I think her "Likes to watch" trait would also apply to this oddly enough as the closest we've seen her play any thing was in the "Legend of Celida" bit and she was more interested in riffing on the game while Sarah played than playing it with Sarah, the only thing we've seen her do is messenger role playing with Justin.

This could be worth a question all on its own, though I would prefer it if the question wasn't too straight forward. "What is your favorite kind of game?" "Trading card game" "Ultra violent game" - that would be boring. But maybe we can do something with this?

Hmm, do we really need a score for every character on every question?

Though if we don't have a score for every character on every question, it could be hard to get enough points for or against for some of the minor characters.

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

Hmm, do we really need a score for every character on every question?

Though if we don't have a score for every character on every question, it could be hard to get enough points for or against for some of the minor characters.

It needs to be well balanced. It's fine not to give a score on every question for every character, but your chance of randomly getting any character should be approximately equal, or so I would feel. It would take some math...

Actually, I don't even know if that's a rule for this kind of thing - that's really just the game design-aficionado in me talking. 

4 hours ago, Maplestrip said:

It needs to be well balanced. It's fine not to give a score on every question for every character, but your chance of randomly getting any character should be approximately equal, or so I would feel. It would take some math...

Actually, I don't even know if that's a rule for this kind of thing - that's really just the game design-aficionado in me talking. 

Agreed in theory. If the answers are chosen randomly the chances of getting any one character should be about equal. In practice some personality types are more common than others.

You need to have a score for each character for each question because if you don't then how do you take the total? Zeroes are perfectly fine, but you need to put down SOMETHING.

Now, as far as balance is concerned, we can tweak that easily at the end by scaling the weights of the questions. Let's just get more down. I had another earlier, but I forgot it before I could write it down.

Let's try to distinguish... Ashley, Diane, and Elliot.

Hmm. Probably going to have something to do with reactions to romantic interest.

Frankly, given of what we've seen so far, any answers trending towards nosy-ness would eliminate Ashley straight off. Diane has her whole introduction to make that distinction, and Ellen has shown enough interest and proficiency in amateur detective work that I'd give Elliot points there just by association.

Maybe a score of 0 would result in one of the random bystanders that keeps getting interviewed by Carol?

As far as videogames, not sure we have enough data for all the possibilities, though a "I don't play many videogames" answer could work if it was weighted only slightly.

I agree with the people agreeing that rolling dice for each question should result in an approximately random result.

On 4/12/2016 at 4:39 PM, Drachefly said:

Let's try to distinguish... Ashley, Diane, and Elliot..

Hmm. Probably going to have something to do with reactions to romantic interest.

How does the character feel about sex-changing transformations?

1. Reluctant
  2. Enthusiastic
  3. Routine
  4. Enthusiastic and routine
  5. Okay
  6. Unknown
  • Ashley: 2
  • Diane: 6
  • Elliot: 3
  • Tedd: 4
  • Grace: 3
  • Susan: 1
  • Sarah: 1
  • Nanase: 5
  • Justin: 5
  • Ellen: 5
  • Mr. Verres: 1
  • Jeremy: 6

Justin expressly said he didn't like being in a female body, that it wasn't who he is.  I'd put him at a 1: Reluctant, especially since the main reasons he agreed to the swap related to his crush on Elliot, and that seems to be becoming less of a factor for him.

Actually, I worded the question wrong. So I'll do it over, with the above two corrections. The list of names in parentheses is which characters one is more like if one gives that answer. Note that this way, one answer can match several characters AND one character can match several answers.

You have the option of being subject to temporary sex changes more or less at will. You would do so:

1. Reluctantly, if ever (Justin, Susan, Sarah, Mr. Verres)
  2. Occasionally (Nanase, Ellen)
  3. Routinely (Elliot, Grace, Tedd)
  4. Enthusiastically (Ashley, Tedd)
  5. Enthusiastically and routinely (Elliot, Tedd)

I'd swap Sarah and Ellen as Ellen hasn't ever done any sex changing because of her reluctance in being male again. Sarah however has been male more times than Ellen, once that we've seen, but probably many other times off panel, especially after the MV5 storyline.

Not sure why you'd have Elliot and Tedd twice though.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'd swap Sarah and Ellen as Ellen hasn't ever done any sex changing because of her reluctance in being male again. Sarah however has been male more times than Ellen, once that we've seen, but probably many other times off panel, especially after the MV5 storyline.

Not sure why you'd have Elliot and Tedd twice though.

You're right about Sarah being in the wrong place, but from what I've seen it isn't so much that Ellen is reluctant to be male as that other people are reluctant to suggest it to her. Granted, Ellen might also be reluctant, but we haven't seen it. Maybe it would be better to give this question no weight at all for Ellen.

Tedd is in there more than once because it isn't just about which answer is the BEST fit for THE CHARACTER, it's also about if someone else gives a specific answer which character(s) is that similar to? For Tedd "enthusiastically and routinely" is the best fit so that answer would be the stronger weight for "you're Tedd", but anyone who just says "enthusiastically" is also somewhat like Tedd. For the same reason he possibly should also be on "routinely".

Elliot probably should only be on "routinely". He doesn't hesitate to change when there's a reason, but so far as we've seen he rarely if ever changes JUST to be female for a while. He's changed because Tedd was a klutz, for the sex-swapped party, because of energy buildups, to prevent energy buildups, because he needed the superhero power set, and to entertain Ashley...