• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ijuin

Things that make you go WTF

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm 6'4" and nearly 300lbs and people say I have the uncanny knack of being able to sneak up on them without making a sound.

(5'9.5"/176.5cm) & (256lb/116kg/18st 4lb) and I have the same issue.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

because it seemed I would "sneak up" on people then manage to physically bounce off of them some how.

There was this one particular moment at work, I had gone down to the laundry room of the hotel to get more clean linens, and I just happen to brush up against one of my coworkers who was apparently in her own little world while folding towels, the scream was quite loud.

Heck, there are times where I'd try to intentionally make my presence known before I got too close. I'd walk with heavy feet to make my footsteps louder, make other noises, and yet once I speak, people jump. The other day I even tried saying hello to a coworker from the end of the hall, a good 20 feet away, and she still jumped. I absolutely can't win.

Although, my "talent" with sneaking up on people and startling them has given me the ability to cure people's hiccups. Case in point, we were on lunch break and one of my coworkers was hiccuping every few seconds, I had asked her if she tried taking a deep breath then drinking a tall glass of water before slowly exhaling, which normally works for me. She said yes but it didn't work, she starts heading upstairs to clean rooms and I follow about 2-3 feet behind her, after a few steps I go "boo!" and she jumps, then yells at me asking why I did that, I just pointed a finger at her and asked "do you still have hiccups?" She pauses a moment, then grumbles a thanks and continues upstairs.

I also have a habit of unintentionally sneaking up on people.

Specifically, sneaking up in front of them.

As for hiccups, I've found that barking "STOP THAT!" at the person is effective surprisingly often.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

So which would you say was weirder, EDS or EGS? :demonicduck:

Well if you rule out the actions of Tedd and "Box", in general EDS, with Tedd & Box, EGS wins by about 25%.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'm not quite sure, because it was in Italian, but I think I just got a spam trying to sell me a  Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport.  A less targeted email using the western glyph set I can not imagine. 

Well, it looks awesome and I bet it is a sweet experience to drive or ride in it, but I would honestly have absolutely no use for it myself. It would be like using a purebred dressage-trained Arabian as a draft horse. This is leaving out the price -- if I had that kind of money, I would not spend it on a car like that.

1 minute ago, ijuin said:

If I had the kind of money to buy whatever car I wanted to, I would be driving a Tesla. (the Tesla Motors factory is in my county)

Come to think of it, I saw somewhere that if you drive that Bugatti Veyron at top speed, it empties its gas tank in something like twenty minutes. I think they tested that in Top Gear or some kind of program like that. Admittedly that's twenty minutes where you are going about 260 mph, but still.

17 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Come to think of it, I saw somewhere that if you drive that Bugatti Veyron at top speed, it empties its gas tank in something like twenty minutes. I think they tested that in Top Gear or some kind of program like that. Admittedly that's twenty minutes where you are going about 260 mph, but still.

There aren't many places in the world other than on a closed track, that you could drive at 260 MPH for 20 minutes without encountering conditions that cannot be handled safely at that speed.

Those few places tend to be distinguished by the scarcity of people. Why drive a show-off car in a place where there's nobody to show off to?

They also are sometimes distinguished by fuel stations being 87 or more miles apart. Which means you drive 260 MPH for 20 minutes and then walk to the gas station so you can carry gasoline back to the car.

11 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

There aren't many places in the world other than on a closed track, that you could drive at 260 MPH for 20 minutes without encountering conditions that cannot be handled safely at that speed.

Those few places tend to be distinguished by the scarcity of people. Why drive a show-off car in a place where there's nobody to show off to?

They also are sometimes distinguished by fuel stations being 87 or more miles apart. Which means you drive 260 MPH for 20 minutes and then walk to the gas station so you can carry gasoline back to the car.

I was watching that show with a friend and we made many of the same observations. He also came up with a good example of why high speed cars are not necessarily a great idea. Some dude in a sports car was amusing himself by driving at 125 mph on some back roads. He then arrived at a train crossing. As it happened, a freight train carrying construction elements for the bridge between Denmark and Sweden happened to be going past at the time. He hit one of the wagons loaded with construction elements right into its side.

I won't comment too much on the aftermath except to say that the bridge construction element wasn't that badly damaged but that the sports car had been compressed into a length of about three or four feet.

Hmm, if I had the money, I think I'd get a Tesla/Prius/Smart Car for local travel, like commuting to work, and then just rent something bigger whenever I needed it.  Got a set of bookshelves to take home?  Rent an SUV or truck.  Going on a long trip?  Rent a really nice interior to enjoy for that time.  Then take it back and you don't have it sitting in your garage unused or have to pay for all that extra gas and maintainence for the rest of the year.  If I found I was renting the same sort of vehicle often enough, then I might buy one, but the number of times I've needed anything bigger or fancier than my Corolla have been few and far between.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I was watching that show with a friend and we made many of the same observations. He also came up with a good example of why high speed cars are not necessarily a great idea. Some dude in a sports car was amusing himself by driving at 125 mph on some back roads. He then arrived at a train crossing. As it happened, a freight train carrying construction elements for the bridge between Denmark and Sweden happened to be going past at the time. He hit one of the wagons loaded with construction elements right into its side.

I won't comment too much on the aftermath except to say that the bridge construction element wasn't that badly damaged but that the sports car had been compressed into a length of about three or four feet.

There's a road outside of town that, if you're coming from the other direction, it's very straight and flat, then you pass over a bridge and the rest of the way into town is still straight for the most part, but has several gullies. The straight/flat stretch was often used as a makeshift drag strip for people to race their cars because there isn't usually a lot of traffic. One day someone was driving a Ferrari (don't know what model) well past the speed limit down that stretch, and apparently he'd never been down that road before or else he would have known that the bridge, while driving onto it was flat, had a relatively sharp slope at the other end, so once he hit that, the car went airborn for about 30 feet, lost control then wrapped around a telephone pole. Amazingly the driver lived, though really beat up, and managed to walk to the nearby house to call for help. When the road got resurfaced a few years ago, the slope on this side of the bridge was built up more to not be as steep, plus the straight/flat stretch had tar and chip put on top to deter drag racing.

Adobe means dried mud with chunks of crap in it.
The Creative Content client just told me it needs to be upgraded.  Almost every other application on OS X, that does it's own updating, does an update and relaunch, often keeping state so any startup cost is minimized.   ACC can't bother with that, just do an install, then let you do it's massively cycle eating startup all over again.  I would remove the damn thing but all OS X dried mud and crap programs require it being installed and kicking to work.  This has me less that fully gruntled, but that is the normal state of affairs dealing with Dried Mud products.

Conspiracy theory websites.  I am reading a lot of them for Edge of Imperial Space back story.  These guys have stepped off the curb and are not looking at traffic.

If I suddenly started talking about things that make little to no sense and is not consistent with my other posts, please contact Lariete mental health clinic and let them know I need to spend some quality time with them.

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Conspiracy theory websites.  I am reading a lot of them for Edge of Imperial Space back story.  These guys have stepped off the curb and are not looking at traffic.

If I suddenly started talking about things that make little to no sense and is not consistent with my other posts, please contact Lariete mental health clinic and let them know I need to spend some quality time with them.

Would you like us to mention the dishwasher as well?

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Would you like us to mention the dishwasher as well?

Maybe, but I can prove that one.  Might take a couple of loads, but it's real.  Now it summoning elder gods might not be the case.

40 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Maybe, but I can prove that one.  Might take a couple of loads, but it's real.  Now it summoning elder gods might not be the case.

It had better not be. I already have enough trouble getting the other moderators off my case about Pharaoh's alligators eating guests in amusement parks.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I already have enough trouble getting the other moderators off my case about Pharaoh's alligators eating guests in amusement parks.

Not this again.  The Crocodile Parks are parks FOR crocodiles.  Do we need to remind EVERY human approaching the water's edge that the crocodiles are not exhibits in the Petting Zoo?

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Not this again.  The Crocodile Parks are parks FOR crocodiles.  Do we need to remind EVERY human approaching the water's edge that the crocodiles are not exhibits in the Petting Zoo?

I think the problem is that they get marketed as amusement parks. I am told that the Red Skull, Thanos and Malekith find the crocodiles eating incautious guests highly amusing.

When your phone screen is cracked and you have no idea why. It was in my pocket the whole time and was fine an hour ago. What gives?