• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ijuin

Things that make you go WTF

13 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

What do you call this, then?

rojQMZY.jpg

That particular phalic object was carrying airmen, not seamen. ;)

8 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Nonsense. John Glenn was a Marine Corps aviator, hence Navy.

It's soo confusing when the Navy has it's own Air Force...

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

When I was a junior in high school, meeting college and military recruiters almost every week, the Navy recruiter kept coming back to the point that the Navy had more planes than the Air Force.

And I might as well get this out there.

The Army has ships.  The Navy has tanks.

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When I was a junior in high school, meeting college and military recruiters almost every week, the Navy recruiter kept coming back to the point that the Navy had more planes than the Air Force.

And I might as well get this out there.

No wonder American military spending is soo high, each of the branches apparently refuses to lend their equipment to each other.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Two military oddities among many. For example, SEALs get equipped with boots. As a paramedic I was issued a rifle. Generals often get specific orders. And most strangely of all, sergeants have been known to have hearts.

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I thought that was the military way of giving a patient a shot.

Don't tell anyone, but actually there are international agreements between paramedics of different armed forces on generating patients for one another so we can justify getting bigger budgets.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:23 PM, The Old Hack said:

Nonsense. John Glenn was a Marine Corps aviator, hence Navy.

On 5/26/2017 at 4:32 PM, Scotty said:

Ah, well, no.  John Glenn was a Marine, which means he was in the Navy's army.   But he was a pilot in the Navy's Army's Airforce.

Jonh Denver singing "The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down"

So very much not the Joan Baez version.   Very very much not that version.

Okay, Amazon, in its endless attempts to empty my bank account, just sent me a DVD recommendation. I don't really mind. If it looks dull, that's what I have a Delete key for. But.

This particular recommendation was called Wolfblood and featured the story of some teen werewolves. Again, okay. Not my usual style though I might try it. Again, but.

The category it appeared under was Documentary.

DOCUMENTARY.

About teen werewolves.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.

Critterkeeper, do you know anything about this? Did I miss something really big in veterinary news? Or did you let goldarn Sutekh get off his leash again, Pharaoh? If I get no other explanation, I am blaming the Egyptian pantheon.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

.Critterkeeper, do you know anything about this? Did I miss something really big in veterinary news? Or did you let goldarn Sutekh get off his leash again, Pharaoh? If I get no other explanation, I am blaming the Egyptian pantheon.

Closest I've seen lately was an article on how particular breeds of dogs are prone to particular genetic mutations that cause obesity, and they're likely to be useful models for research into curing those same mutations in humans.  Hasn't resulted in chubby werewolves yet, or at least if it did they didn't mention it.

11 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Pharaoh? If I get no other explanation, I am blaming the Egyptian pantheon.

I'm referring you to the city of Asyut or Lycopolis.  Once there you should look up Mr Wepwawet (aka Upuaut or Ophois).  God of the Wolf.  Son of Anubis.  God of war and Pharaoh's hunting partner.  The One with sharp arrow more powerful than the gods alone.  The One who opens the ways to and through the underworld for the spirits of the dead.

I personally don't hunt, so I never got close to Wepster, unlike a lot of other people with my job.

Edit.  Just in case, here's his name in the old script.

wp N31
t
Z2ss
E18
Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Relevant detail added

21 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

china, the carp in the air's so thick you could probably watch an eclipse safely with no eye protection.  That's not true anymore in the US, I don't think even in LA.

Damn. That's a lot of flying fish. And I didn't even know carps could fly. I guess that is why sharks have learned to travel by tornado, to have a shot at catching them. It's all the recent sharknadoes that got rid of them in the LA area so the skies there are clear again, then?

Just now, The Old Hack said:

Damn. That's a lot of flying fish. And I didn't even know carps could fly. I guess that is why sharks have learned to travel by tornado, to have a shot at catching them. It's all the recent sharknadoes that got rid of them in the LA area so the skies there are clear again, then?

It's the true origin of the quote attributes to The 300, "Then we will fight in the shade."

Just now, Vorlonagent said:

It's the true origin of the quote attributes to The 300, "Then we will fight in the shade."

That's terrifying. I am now envisioning thousands of Persians fitting carp to the drawstrings of their bows. Though that explains how all those carp got up there to begin with. The Persians started out with lots of practice volleys just to see how far they could shoot, and with that large number of carp shot upwards and then falling towards the ground, statistically speaking some of them had to miss.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

That's terrifying. I am now envisioning thousands of Persians fitting carp to the drawstrings of their bows. Though that explains how all those carp got up there to begin with. The Persians started out with lots of practice volleys just to see how far they could shoot, and with that large number of carp shot upwards and then falling towards the ground, statistically speaking some of them had to miss.

If you dig into the historical record you'll find that's actually how the 300 held their pass.  Nobody could fling carp like Spartans. 

In fact, the only superior contemporary carp-flingers to the Spartans were the Athenians, which explains how the Spartans eventually lost when the two went to war.  It helped that the Athenians used a larger fish.  They specialized in throwing around the bullcarp.

4 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

In fact, the only superior contemporary carp-flingers to the Spartans were the Athenians, which explains how the Spartans eventually lost when the two went to war.  It helped that the Athenians used a larger fish.  They specialized in throwing around the bullcarp.

Well, no wonder! Those idiot Spartans could have told themselves that. After all, Athens invented democracy, so the entire core of their carp flinging units consisted of politicians.