• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ijuin

Things that make you go WTF

Always a pain when the "boss" sees subordinates as imminent threats, potential competition, or expendable resources.

I would like to say it will get better eventually.

Really, I would like to say that.

But you know that boss, or an indistinguishable clone, will always be around.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Always a pain when the "boss" sees subordinates as imminent threats, potential competition, or expendable resources.

I would like to say it will get better eventually.

Really, I would like to say that.

But you know that boss, or an indistinguishable clone, will always be around.

The sad part is that he's really not a "boss," per se. He's in charge of Animal Control. The Pet Adoption Center is a separate entity. It's a cross-department situation here.

BTW, Mrs. Prof is going to get the cat she sponsored out of Animal Control tomorrow and move it to our personal vet, if there's space.

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Things that make you go WTF? Yep, I think this qualifies.

Only because we don't have a "Things that make you rage against the heavens" thread.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Only because we don't have a "Things that make you rage against the heavens" thread.

You got it.

There's room at the vet. Animal control doesn't open until 10am, so she's got to wait until then to get the cat transport ball rolling. She'll have to pay a $40 transport fee, but it's worth it to get the cat out of the potential danger that it's in now.

8 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

You got it.

There's room at the vet. Animal control doesn't open until 10am, so she's got to wait until then to get the cat transport ball rolling. She'll have to pay a $40 transport fee, but it's worth it to get the cat out of the potential danger that it's in now.

I'd be really ticked off if I spent however much money it cost to get a cat prepped for adoption, only to find out it had to be put down as part of a broad retaliation over the fact that a parent didn't follow posted rules and kept their brat away from the cages.

I always hate hearing stories about animals turning vicious and biting a child because most likely they bit the child because their tail got pulled sharply or something. I've been bitten by cats and dogs numerous times, every single time it was my damn fault, I have a scar on my right forearm 5 inches long because I went up to pet a chained dog when I was 8 and it jumped up and gave me a bear hug in which one of it's claws dug in and scratched me as I pulled away, there was no animal control called for any of those cases and yet these days I hear about people calling animal control and getting the pets quarantined or worse, for less severe incidents.

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'd be really ticked off if I spent however much money it cost to get a cat prepped for adoption, only to find out it had to be put down as part of a broad retaliation over the fact that a parent didn't follow posted rules and kept their brat away from the cages.

Oh, the story gets better. Read on.

The brat mentioned above was the child of an Animal Control worker, as I've said. That worker was one of a group who recently had reprimands placed in their files for failing to properly take care of a group of four kittens over last weekend (claimed they didn't know how to syringe-feed—were told they could have Googled it and learned in five minutes). Two of those kittens eventually died after being taken out of the Shelter.

The other two kittens? They wound up at our house. You may have seen pictures of them. Mrs. Prof saved their lives.

Retaliation? Methinks it's a probability.

Anyway, Mrs. Prof's sponsored cat is now out of harm's way and at the vet, but not before she paid $70 to the Garland Animal Shelter ($10 tacked on for quarantine fees, and $20 for I don't know what). Mrs. Prof is now at the GPAC, helping to clean it to prevent a possible outbreak of some sickness (not sure what). It's been a rough day for her, but hopefully one with good consequences. Hopefully.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Oh, the story gets better. Read on.

The brat mentioned above was the child of an Animal Control worker, as I've said. That worker was one of a group who recently had reprimands placed in their files for failing to properly take care of a group of four kittens over last weekend (claimed they didn't know how to syringe-feed—were told they could have Googled it and learned in five minutes). Two of those kittens eventually died after being taken out of the Shelter.

The other two kittens? They wound up at our house. You may have seen pictures of them. Mrs. Prof saved their lives.

Retaliation? Methinks it's a probability.

Anyway, Mrs. Prof's sponsored cat is now out of harm's way and at the vet, but not before she paid $70 to the Garland Animal Shelter ($10 tacked on for quarantine fees, and $20 for I don't know what). Mrs. Prof is now at the GPAC, helping to clean it to prevent a possible outbreak of some sickness (not sure what). It's been a rough day for her, but hopefully one with good consequences. Hopefully.

A coworker of mine told me not too long ago about how a dog she had ended up in quarantine and then ended up getting some diseased and died shorly after she got him back. Her and her husband were at their trailer one summer and they went out for dinner, leaving their dog tied to the trailer axle as they always did, they came back to find animal control demanding to take their dog because it apparently attacked an American that was vacationing up there, the guy had claimed that the dog attacked him by his trailer on the other side of the park, but my coworker didn't believe it was possible because the dog would have needed to drag their trailer all that way and there was no sign that it ever got loose. Still animal control took it. Later on my coworker was talking to one of her neighbours and they said that they saw a guy cutting through the plot several times that night, the dog barking at him each time, so it's more likely that at one point the guy must have got close enough for the dog to reach him. So basically the guy was trespassing through someone else's plot and didn't heed the dog's barking to stay away and got bit, then made a false claim to make him be the innocent victim, and the dog ended up dying because of it.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

So basically the guy was trespassing through someone else's plot and didn't heed the dog's barking to stay away and got bit, then made a false claim to make him be the innocent victim, and the dog ended up dying because of it.

That's almost what happened with the cats involved with the brat. Mrs. Prof's cleaning did some good today, And yes, Garland Animal Control did come by the GPAC and do an inventory. Apparently, they did not send the brat's father, since things went well.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My boss for the last ten years was fired today.

He had been running that place for seventeen years.

All the notice he received was the district manager calling him this morning and telling him to not come in.

The worse termination notice I ever got was when they set my email account to bounce with "Mr. Looney is no longer with the company" and killed my password.  Also no notice.

Edited by mlooney
dropped some important words.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The worse termination notice I ever got was when they set my email account to bounce with "Mr. Looney with the company" and killed my password.  Also no notice.

The worst termination I ever heard of happened to a friend of mine. He had worked long and hard on becoming a good database programmer. He had a job that was not great but okay. Then one day his boss called him in and gave him his three month notice. The job market was crap at the time so this really wore on him. Then, a week before his last day, his boss called him in and told him that they didn't have a permanent position for him but that they could re-hire him and give him another three month notice.

Incredibly, this repeated again. And again. My friend realised that the sole reason they did this was so they could keep him from earning extra entitlements and raises they would otherwise have to give him. But this did not change the fact that he never knew if he would be re-hired at all and he got more and more stressed. And this crap went on for more than a year.

Then one day he ran into an old friend who had also studied database programming. They started chatting and his friend mentioned that they really badly needed another database programmer, did he ever finish his studies? Well, sure he did. He was working as one right now but hated his job. Could he come speak with their boss the next day for a job interview? Damn straight he could. So, he went to the interview and was immediately offered a position, at 50% higher pay. That would be great, he said, he could start next month on the first as he was getting terminated at the end of this month anyway.

So, he went back to his old job. Said nothing. Sure enough, his boss called him in for the usual rehire-and-immediate-termination chat as usual. With barely restrained glee he told the guy, "Nah, not a problem. I start a new job next month so I'm good." His boss blurted out, "What? But -- but we need you!" He responded, "That's fine. I'll stay if you offer me a permanent contract and double my pay." "We can't afford that!" "Too bad, so sad. Byeeeee!" And he walked out LIKE A BOSS.

He started his new job a week later. And for some reason he didn't bother with leaving much documentation behind for whoever they found to replace him.

Cat "herding" behavior. No, not herding cats, but the way a cat will try and herd its humans. I'm at times tempted to rename my own cat from Baker to Roadblock, given the amount of time he spends just getting in my way and refusing to move. Not even a poke from my cane will budge him. His motives are never clear: sometimes he wants treats, sometimes he wants play, sometimes he just wants to impede my progress for no discernible reason. Tonight his goal was to get me sitting up on the sofa at 3:30 a.m. (just before my 4am hydrocodone dose) so he could jump up and go to sleep on the warm spot where the pillow for my feet had been.

I'll never fully understand cats, especially this one. In addition to "herding," he is also the arbiter of our kitchen counter. He decides what is supposed to go on the counter. If it doesn't meet his standards, it gets knocked off. Case in point: Mrs. Prof and I were sitting in the living room when we heard this metallic BANG BOOM CLANG from the kitchen, like sheet pans being knocked over. We both looked, but couldn't find any large metallic objects on the floor. As it turns out, we were looking in the wrong place. Mrs. Prof had left a relatively heavy can opener on the counter earlier in the day and forgot about it. Baker had decided it didn't belong there. SWIPE! He'd knocked it off of the counter and onto our pressed steel trash can. Of course we couldn't find anything—neither of us had bothered to look on the floor between the counter and the trash can.

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'll never fully understand cats, especially this one. In addition to "herding," he is also the arbiter of our kitchen counter. He decides what is supposed to go on the counter. If it doesn't meet his standards, it gets knocked off. Case in point: Mrs. Prof and I were sitting in the living room when we heard this metallic BANG BOOM CLANG from the kitchen, like sheet pans being knocked over. We both looked, but couldn't find any large metallic objects on the floor. As it turns out, we were looking in the wrong place. Mrs. Prof had left a relatively heavy can opener on the counter earlier in the day and forgot about it. Baker had decided it didn't belong there. SWIPE! He'd knocked it off of the counter and onto our pressed steel trash can. Of course we couldn't find anything—neither of us had bothered to look on the floor between the counter and the trash can.

My wife calls this 'kitty feng shui.' It operates according to the principle, "What is up must come down. What is down must be batted around."

6 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why did you have your feet on his pillow in the first place?

Ah, if it's a case of ownership, that falls to me. I have to elevate both my feet at night—my left one because of my (formerly, still healing) broken toe, and my right one because of the edema/venous stasis. Kitty only gets the pillow if I'm not using it, and I was about to use it again. He got moved off.

So a band where the lead vocal group is a half dozen guys with cliché stage personalities.  Their ages are 21 - 25, but they look younger.  They sing the songs that were popular with teenaged girls 20 - 40 years ago.

I think you may be onto something.

On 01/07/2017 at 1:48 PM, mlooney said:

A "Young Man Band",

Would that be the Village People then? :eyes:

(sees self out)

8 hours ago, HarJIT said:

(sees self out)

The aren't what I would call young now.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, mlooney said:

A "Young Man Band",

8 hours ago, HarJIT said:

9 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The aren't what I would call young now.

None of the People of the Village were a young man.  They were singing to a young man.

12 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I'm pretty sure that "fossil" precludes "breeding".

Perhaps not...

According to a bumper sticker I once read, "Chicks Dig Paleontologists".
And as we know, bumper stickers are second only to hats for expressing universal truths.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Perhaps not...

According to a bumper sticker I once read, "Chicks Dig Paleontologists".
And as we know, bumper stickers are second only to hats for expressing universal truths.

No, no.  T-shirts come after bumper stickers!  Then buttons, and then hats are tied with posters, although certain political hats are endangering that ranking.