• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ijuin

Things that make you go WTF

24 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Well, no wonder! Those idiot Spartans could have told themselves that. After all, Athens invented democracy, so the entire core of their carp flinging units consisted of politicians.

Democracy has creates the most proficient carp-flingers in history.

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

with that large number of carp shot upwards and then falling towards the ground, statistically speaking some of them had to miss.

You're saying statistics is a carp shoot!

9 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

In fact, the only superior contemporary carp-flingers to the Spartans were the Athenians, which explains how the Spartans eventually lost when the two went to war.  It helped that the Athenians used a larger fish.  They specialized in throwing around the bullcarp.

Don't forget about the Sacred Band of Thebes, they could beat the Spartans by flinging Holy Carp.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

You're saying statistics is a carp shoot!

Obviously. Since when wasn't it?

Don't forget about the Sacred Band of Thebes, they could beat the Spartans by flinging Holy Carp.

They had a significant technological edge, too. They used catapults powered by Sacred Rubber Bands.

On 6/2/2017 at 7:18 PM, CritterKeeper said:

Hasn't resulted in chubby werewolves yet, or at least if it did they didn't mention it.

Stealing for my game.  Here is how I see it: At least one Lycan genotype has a tendency towards weight problems.  Enough so that heavy set short males are required to take the Lycan test for some jobs.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Stealing for my game.  Here is how I see it: At least one Lycan genotype has a tendency towards weight problems.  Enough so that heavy set short males are required to take the Lycan test for some jobs.

Why not reverse that?  Make it the skinny that are penalized and stigmatized for a change!

Why not reverse that?  Make it the skinny that are penalized and stigmatized for a change!

Either way would work.  Given that "off-worlders" could be "were-weight" but not a Lycan could cause some fun side effects.  

Dear Debian, and by extension Ubuntu package maintainers for servers software, Apache2 in particular.

You Suck.  And not the good way.  The really bad way that makes people un[redacted]happy.

I want those 3 hours of my life back, just trying to get a [redacted] perl CGI script to [redacted] work.

Some days, I think back on how into computers I was as a grade schooler, how I knew everything there was to know about BASIC (or at least everything in an eight or ten volume series on it), and wonder what it would be like if I had pursued that interest, instead of the critters.  I see discussions of Linux or see Raspberry Pi and bitsbox.com ads, and wonder if it wouldn't be great to pick it back up again and learn how to use all these fun toys.

Then I read complaints like this one, and think perhaps I made the right choice, letting someone else do the coding.  ;-)

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Then I read complaints like this one, and think perhaps I made the right choice, letting someone else do the coding.  ;-)

They do the coding, you do the cooing. Seems like a fair division of labour. :)

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Some days, I think back on how into computers I was as a grade schooler, how I knew everything there was to know about BASIC (or at least everything in an eight or ten volume series on it), and wonder what it would be like if I had pursued that interest, instead of the critters.  I see discussions of Linux or see Raspberry Pi and bitsbox.com ads, and wonder if it wouldn't be great to pick it back up again and learn how to use all these fun toys.

It wasn't the code, as such, they decided to "make configuration easier" by changing ALL the config files to not look like the rest of the config files that the Apache2 community has been using for well on 15 years now.  It's not so much that they made it harder, it's they gratuitously made it different.  They even say that in the big blue blob of comments in the top of apache2.conf.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

It wasn't the code, as such, they decided to "make configuration easier" by changing ALL the config files to not look like the rest of the config files that the Apache2 community has been using for well on 15 years now.  It's not so much that they made it harder, it's they gratuitously made it different.  They even say that in the big blue blob of comments in the top of apache2.conf.

This kind of reminds me of Catbert making a policy change that was incredibly aggravating yet did not actually achieve anything. He then sits for a moment, trying to think of a justification for it he can append to the policy. He finally settles for, "Because I hate you all."

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

This kind of reminds me of Catbert making a policy change that was incredibly aggravating yet did not actually achieve anything. He then sits for a moment, trying to think of a justification for it he can append to the policy. He finally settles for, "Because I hate you all."

#
# Summary of how the Apache 2 configuration works in Debian:
# The Apache 2 web server configuration in Debian is quite different to
# upstream's suggested way to configure the web server. This is because Debian's
# default Apache2 installation attempts to make adding and removing modules,
# virtual hosts, and extra configuration directives as flexible as possible, in
# order to make automating the changes and administering the server as easy as
# possible.

Cut and pasted.  It might be easier if I didn't if 15 years training and experience using the other way,...

16 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It might be easier if I didn't if 15 years training and experience using the other way,...

Yeah, it seems like the concept of making something easier for newcomers to get into also means bringing veterans down to that level. But in reality veterans are at a disadvantage because they had become so used to how it worked before that the new way is seems more convoluted. It's even worse when software devs believe that for newcomers to not accidentally mess something up, get frustrated and eventually trash the software, they need to hide all backend configuration and admin stuff as deep in the system as possible so that there's no way a new user could be like "oh what's this do?" click "OMG WHAT HAPPENED? HOW DO I CHANGE THIS BACK? THIS PROGRAM IS A PIECE OF CARP!!"

But then you still get people that end up doing that anyway and the veteran isn't much help because they're not familiar with the new system yet and trying to ask what they were doing before something happened is met with "I was just looking at stuff!", it isn't very helpful... I may have some experience with this.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, it seems like the concept of making something easier for newcomers to get into also means bringing veterans down to that level. But in reality veterans are at a disadvantage because they had become so used to how it worked before that the new way is seems more convoluted.

You mean like how Microsoft, roughly every other new version, rearranges menu items and configuration settings, and occasionally comes out with new standards for things like menu bars that offer no advantage over the old standards other than a bunch of old software (such as tools that alter menu bars) no longer working so people are stuck with what MICROSOFT likes rather than what THEY like?

(It ain't just Microsoft either. One of my gripes about Android is how the program, not the user, owns the user's data, and it is often tricky - sometimes impossible - to have one program even look at another program's data or configuration files. Guess what: to do proper backups, you need one program - the backup program - looking at EVERY other program's data and configuration files. And to do a restore, somebody needs to be able to WRITE every other program's files. There are lots of other legitimate, if more selective, reasons to have this program look at and maybe alter that program's stuff.)

Just now, Don Edwards said:

You mean like how Microsoft, roughly every other new version, rearranges menu items and configuration settings, and occasionally comes out with new standards for things like menu bars that offer no advantage over the old standards other than a bunch of old software (such as tools that alter menu bars) no longer working so people are stuck with what MICROSOFT likes rather than what THEY like?

Yeah, I mainly based my comment on my experience with Windows 10, both XP and 7 had the ability to use a somewhat classic 9x taskbar and control panel (not exactly but close enough that it didn't take me long to get used to it), I never touched 8 because of the issues I had been hearing about it, even when they patched it to 8.1 and re added the taskbar and stuff. 10 still has that "I really should be used on tablets" UI but they also scattered all the customization everywhere. I mean, I swear I was able to customize the desktop for my grandparents computer so that the program icons were larger but stuff like the taskbar and program windows weren't as big, but all i've been able to find in settings is a "scale and layout" option that does everything at either 100% (normal) or 125% (large), it is possible to set a "custom" size between 100% and 150% but it's still just 1 setting that affects everything. And I know there are third party programs that might do what I'm asking, but I'm wary about installing extra stuff on my grandparents computer.

42 minutes ago, Scotty said:

And I know there are third party programs that might do what I'm asking, but I'm wary about installing extra stuff on my grandparents computer.

If you're going to risk doing this, look at the stuff from Stardock Software. I use some of it—just Start10 and Fences—but it's bulletproof and transparent, plus their reputation is great.

34 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

If you're going to risk doing this, look at the stuff from Stardock Software. I use some of it—just Start10 and Fences—but it's bulletproof and transparent, plus their reputation is great.

Yeah I once used Window Blinds from them back in the win95-98 days. Oddly enough It made the windows look like what winXP windows looked like, but when we upgraded to XP I switched to the classic look. Lol

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, I mainly based my comment on my experience with Windows 10, both XP and 7 had the ability to use a somewhat classic 9x taskbar and control panel (not exactly but close enough that it didn't take me long to get used to it), I never touched 8 because of the issues I had been hearing about it, even when they patched it to 8.1 and re added the taskbar and stuff. 10 still has that "I really should be used on tablets" UI but they also scattered all the customization everywhere. I mean, I swear I was able to customize the desktop for my grandparents computer so that the program icons were larger but stuff like the taskbar and program windows weren't as big, but all i've been able to find in settings is a "scale and layout" option that does everything at either 100% (normal) or 125% (large), it is possible to set a "custom" size between 100% and 150% but it's still just 1 setting that affects everything. And I know there are third party programs that might do what I'm asking, but I'm wary about installing extra stuff on my grandparents computer.

Thing with Windows 10, is that while the "control panel" still exists, it is rather non-obvious to get to, with most of the config being done through the unified "settings" app which doesn't provide nearly as much config ability.

1 hour ago, HarJIT said:

Thing with Windows 10, is that while the "control panel" still exists, it is rather non-obvious to get to, with most of the config being done through the unified "settings" app which doesn't provide nearly as much config ability.

I'll stick with Windows 7.