• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Story: Friday, October 14th, 2021

Taking good notes is hard. Also Tedd was going through an emotional rollercoaster when she found out she was a seer.

10 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/balance-072

But seriously, who documents their code???

Someone who wants their code to be read and understood by someone later, including themselves after a few months. Sadly, not all programmers have the foresight to do that...

As someone with racing thoughts and lousy penmanship, I know all too well the futility of taking notes only to not understand my own remarks when I go back

If only I had a laptop with a word processor and laser jet printer back in 1978...

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As someone with racing thoughts and lousy penmanship, I know all too well the futility of taking notes only to not understand my own remarks when I go back

That's why you learn to keep a lab notebook. It took me years, but I finally developed the discipline to write down my results at the end of the day in a readable manner. It made a world of difference, professionally.

1 hour ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

That's why you learn to keep a lab notebook. It took me years, but I finally developed the discipline to write down my results at the end of the day in a readable manner. It made a world of difference, professionally.

I just learned to type fairly fast and depend on the red and grey lines to keep my straight.

8 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Someone who wants their code to be read and understood by someone later, including themselves after a few months. Sadly, not all programmers have the foresight to do that...

Yeah, over my career I learned that the most important audience for code is the person who's going to have to alter it a few years from now. In the long run, code that is unreadable is at least as bad as code that doesn't compile clean.

(But then, in my Cobol days I was also about the only one in the shop who wrote code that compiled clean. Everyone else thought it was perfectly okay for there to be more lines of warning messages from the compiler than of code.)

Making code readable only to yourself is a common way of ensuring your job security—if nobody can maintain your code except for you, then they can’t get rid of you without replacing all of your code.

If you're irreplaceable, you're unpromoteable.

But then, a lot of places, you can only rise so high as a technician - then they promote you to be a manager. Which is an entirely different skill set and usually a different personality type. So being  unpromoteable isn't necessarily bad.

9 hours ago, ijuin said:

Making code readable only to yourself is a common way of ensuring your job security—if nobody can maintain your code except for you, then they can’t get rid of you without replacing all of your code.

This is not as true as it could be.  There is almost always an intern or low level developer that can be tossed at the trouble code.  Now whether or not this is going to help is another question.