• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Amiable Dorsai

Who is the the "trainee"

In this strip? Whoever she is, she needs to be someone who is is grumpy, youngish, but old enough to be in training as an agent, has something weird about her hair, and an ability to sense people who are using magical concealment. Someone new, maybe, but if we're to speculate, it should be someone we've already met.

My first thought was Jay, who has the attitude, the hair, and could have the ability, but it was rightly pointed out to me that she's a little too young.

My next guess is Vladia. Old enough to be in training, sufficiently grumpy, and could have the requisite ability. Best of all, the Magus storyline seems to be heating up, and Vladia has met Ellen and fought Nanase. There could be fireworks.

Thoughts?

I'm going to go with my standard thing, it's a new person.  The Dan barely knows about "Conservation of Detail" and violates it whenever possible.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I'm going to go with my standard thing, it's a new person.  The Dan barely knows about "Conservation of Detail" and violates it whenever possible.

However, in this strip's commentary, The Dan says:

Several obvious questions that this page raises, such as who "the two of them" are, will be answered later. It's possible to make a wild guess and be right before then, which I hope is fun? Not trying to JUST be a tease over here.

Hence the possibility that both off-panel characters are not new.

26 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Hence the possibility that both off-panel characters are not new.

I'm thinking the other is Abraham, fulfilling his pledge by helping to hunt for the final "abomination" of the Dewitchery Diamond. He would have had to pledge his parole, but his personal code of honor, however misguided seems to be up that.

3 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

I'm thinking the other is Abraham, fulfilling his pledge by helping to hunt for the final "abomination" of the Dewitchery Diamond.

Agreed. So, the tally thus far:

1. Abraham
  2. Grumpy, youngish "trainee" with magical hair (?) - Jay? Vladia? Susan (on a school night???)?

Speculation continues on number two.

oh, yeah it's a given that one of the two is Abraham.  The question is who is the trainee.  I still say it's a new person.  Hopefully we find out Wednesday or Friday.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
17 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I would nominate Kaya McSleepyhead Romero.

Except, she's only 14.

Along with a more obvious problem.

Egads... it's coming together in my head... (But not with her as an MIB trainee. )

I didn't follow the link the first time.  Yeah, being a humanoid dragon would be an issue.  

Questions, with the Dewitchery Diamond now destroyed, is Abraham free of his curse? If he was a more or less failed apprentice when the curse started, why is he now skilled? As simple as 'the training was better then'? Is he out to kill Magus, or has he gotten over all of that after the Ellen incident? I suppose if Agent Wolf is talking to him, he's acquired a level of being reasonable. So, if he is now trusted, I guess he's under their umbrella, and will be functioning as an agent? That makes sense, oversight, given his apparent lack of wisdom.

<Shrug> Wait, and see ...

I presume that he developed the skills over his years of “monster” hunting. As an “Apprentice”, he was probably younger or so when he created the Diamond, and currently he looks old enough to probably be past sixty, not counting his time in hibernation. That means that he had a couple of decades of experience since then.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

I presume that he developed the skills over his years of “monster” hunting. As an “Apprentice”, he was probably younger or so when he created the Diamond, and currently he looks old enough to probably be past sixty, not counting his time in hibernation. That means that he had a couple of decades of experience since then.

That implies that the dewitchery diamond was used often, though not necessarily with the recent results; perhaps he had precedent for his thinking he needed to kill Ellen.

Might he age and gain experience at a slow rate while in statue form? Logically, that makes no sense, but this is fantasy.

Or, he was just older. "You need to be an accomplished scribe, philosopher, and magicologist before we'll train you in it's use."

Or, he's 23; being turned to stone just takes that out on you.

Most likely it will be irrelevant; the character is created and his background will remain a mystery.

"Hey, Abraham, what do you think of modern culture?"  "Well, I like your (rock) music. I think it's real gneiss. I like your beer, but why are the bottles so small? I wish it came in quartz. There are a lot of things in life you take for granite, but when the schist hits the fan, you have to play the hand you're dealt, or you loose your marbles. I'm a pretty fortunate guy. It's no fun being turned to stone for years, but most of the people I've known are resting in sedimentaries, with stones over their heads, so I'm not so bad off. With the diamond gone, I get to start over with a clean slate."

Your just trying to get on the list aren't you.
/me takes out the new list, turns to a new page and adds your name to the top of it.  Adds a few stars and an elder sign.

I forgot about your list. I'm pretty sure I'm already on it.

30 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I forgot about your list. I'm pretty sure I'm already on it.

Yeah, but /me started a new list for After The Dark Times.

The Dark Times in this context are the Days That The Forum's Database Was Hosed.  Sorry if this term was confused with the IRL Dark Times, which seem to be on going. 

/me started a new list for After The Dark Times.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Wait, there's an 'after'? Good news indeed. Any idea when?

The "Dark Times" are over when YOU BELIEVE the Dark Times are over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGkLHsD-wAM

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

The Dark Times in this context are the Days That The Forum's Database Was Hosed.  Sorry if this term was confused with the IRL Dark Times, which seem to be on going. 

Ah. And here I thought you meant it in the broader sense. I guess a reboot of the list is in order after the outage. Glad to be of service.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Ah. And here I thought you meant it in the broader sense. I guess a reboot of the list is in order after the outage. Glad to be of service.

You weren't the first to get the list. I think that  Professor Tomoe the "honor".