• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Friday October 22, 2021

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/balance-074

The Bronze Age Collapse always seemed a bit Deus ex machina

There were half a dozen advanced civilizations stretching across Eastern Asia, India, the Middle East, North Africa, and the Mediterranean, and within a single century they have all regressed almost to the Stone Age?

I'm sure there are plenty of plausible scenarios that can account for this.  But the possibility that someone playing the Game of Earth hit "Reset" is also plausible

So are the Uryuom People responsible?

So Edward was trained to take manual control of his spells. Since they had the same teacher, Noriko would have been trained the same. She might be the other deputy with Agent Wolf, with this fact as foreshadowing, but it could also just be demonstrating that manual control is a part of any thorough and quality training.

If the Uryuoms have been around since at least the bronze age collapse, then why hasn't someone in an official position questioned them being from space before? I don't think Uryuom tech is that much more advanced than human tech. Maybe everyone just assumed their tech had plateaued?

I still don't think Noriko is the other person with Wolf.  I'm not willing to bet any real money on it, but given the whole "I don't know how her hair works" bit I'm not thinking they are fully human.

22 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/balance-074

The Bronze Age Collapse always seemed a bit Deus ex machina

There were half a dozen advanced civilizations stretching across Eastern Asia, India, the Middle East, North Africa, and the Mediterranean, and within a single century they have all regressed almost to the Stone Age?

I'm sure there are plenty of plausible scenarios that can account for this.  But the possibility that someone playing the Game of Earth hit "Reset" is also plausible

So are the Uryuom People responsible?

Hmmm. The Collapse roughly coincided with invasions of the various Mediterranean countries by the "Sea Peoples," a somewhat mysterious group of seafaring nomads whose origin is unknown to modern scholars. It's a bit odd that they were able to overcome armies equipped with (presumably) superior bronze weapons. Uryuom magic might explain it. The Sea Peoples cannot have been all Uryuom because surely even those few scraps of documentation that have come down to us would have mentioned that the invaders weren't human, but a sprinkling of magical warriors might easily have turned the tide.

On 10/23/2021 at 0:04 PM, Amiable Dorsai said:

Hmmm. The Collapse roughly coincided with invasions of the various Mediterranean countries by the "Sea Peoples," a somewhat mysterious group of seafaring nomads whose origin is unknown to modern scholars. It's a bit odd that they were able to overcome armies equipped with (presumably) superior bronze weapons. Uryuom magic might explain it. The Sea Peoples cannot have been all Uryuom because surely even those few scraps of documentation that have come down to us would have mentioned that the invaders weren't human, but a sprinkling of magical warriors might easily have turned the tide.

The Collapse also coincided with wide spread crop failure due to over-farming and infrastructure issues from the economic strain of the crop failures

3 hours ago, Drasvin said:

The Collapse also coincided with wide spread crop failure due to over-farming and infrastructure issues from the economic strain of the crop failures

Oh sure, there were a number of strains, including a shortage of easily obtainable tin to make bronze with in the first place. But I tried to come up with a way to cause a catastrophic failure that we could blame on Uryuoms without there necessarily being evidence of their involvement that would persist to the present day.

Uryuoms do have spacecraft and other technology that are far more advanced than anything NASA or other public space agencies are working with. They also seem to have alien species with them that hint at an ecosystem of genetically related organisms distinct from anything known on Earth (e.g. Lespuko). Also, their cultural memory of coming from another planet seems to be recent--Will and Gil seemed to believe that they were not entirely outside of the reach of the government of "the homeworld", and that the specific technology behind the TF Gun came from there, which speaks to the idea that they believe their ancestors to have arrived within the past couple of centuries.

Perhaps, then, after the Magic Change in which the Uryuoms got cut off from most magic, some group of them did depart for another world, and returned relatively recently.

50 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Suppose the Uryuoms' very distant ancestors abandoned Earth and migrated to another planet... and later came back in contact with Earth...

This is a scenario I have also been considering

So does that mean Sharks developed Space Travel as a means to help the Uryuoms leave, or keep them from coming back?

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So does that mean Sharks developed Space Travel as a means to help the Uryuoms leave, or keep them from coming back?

I'd say that it's a parallel  project and not related to the Uryuoms space program at all.  The orbital knife fight was due to a personal matter.

Andrea the Griffin said that worlds might have more than just two linked “sides”. Perhaps the Uryuoms came from another one of these sides? Given that Elliot and Edward are meeting with her again at the chronological end of the current story, they might bring up the topic of the Uryuoms . . . and Andrea might actually have something to say about them.

11 hours ago, ijuin said:

Andrea the Griffin said that worlds might have more than just two linked “sides”.

She compared them to dice, which, unless she plays D&D, implies 6 sides.  Lets see.  Prime, Beta Tedd, Lord Tedd, 2nd Life, Magus, Griffins.   That's 6. Now the Uryuoms could come from 2n life or Lord Tedd's as both of those are known to have Uryuoms.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:16 AM, mlooney said:

She compared them to dice, which, unless she plays D&D, implies 6 sides. 

... in our universe.

In universe Fettlaw Prime (b-subAleph G-side duo) the seven side platonic solid was most popular until the lenticular collapse of the topological framework reduced it to isomorphic to the d6, and there's the Fponehabeast's twelve sided forehoof anklebone that was commonly used for gaming on Gamma Hydra 5b in the Metadacianic Hyperquasi Universe. But yes, in general, the six sided dice is the most common dice, no doubt largely due to the Interdimensional Yachtze  Treaty of 1618 Prime. 

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

... in our universe.

In universe Fettlaw Prime (b-subAleph G-side duo) the seven side platonic solid was most popular until the lenticular collapse of the topological framework reduced it to isomorphic to the d6, and there's the Fponehabeast's twelve sided forehoof anklebone that was commonly used for gaming on Gamma Hydra 5b in the Metadacianic Hyperquasi Universe. But yes, in general, the six sided dice is the most common dice, no doubt largely due to the Interdimensional Yachtze  Treaty of 1618 Prime. 

I did say implies.  Other universes with non euclidean geometries are covered by that.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I did say implies.  Other universes with non euclidean geometries are covered by that.

I always assumed that they were covered by Escher-Klein drapes woven from dark strings, but you know what they say about assuming ...

Well, information is often not ready for the "real" world.  People, on the other hand, are often trapped in the real world against their will. 

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Well, information is often not ready for the "real" world.  People, on the other hand, are often trapped in the real world against their will. 

Here's a thought, or brain fart, I'm not sure I can tell the difference; ALL 'worlds' are experienced in your head, even the one you live in. You experience a model of the 'real' world, so it is at best a step away toward 'all in your head' anyway.

In other words, 'imaginary' is quite real, in the sense that the ground you imagine you are falling toward will hurt when you hit it, the fire you see and postulate the characteristics of is capable of burning you.