• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Tuesday November 02, 2021

https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/forreals-10

Careful Elliot,

You're likely to get hit with a couch if  you upset your Girlfriend on This show

- - - 

But I can already see nitpics the "Real Fans" of this show will be pointing out

First, fan has more than one printed definition

Second, different dictionary publishers have different sets of deffinitions

Also, when was this dead tree dictionary published?  Even the newest printed edition will be a little out of date.  If this is the same Dictionary your mother was using in high school, we really can't be sure of anything.

Remember, English Language Dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive.

They do not declare what the correct spelling, pronunciation, and definition of a word must be

Rather, they attempt to distill from the broadest possible scope of all English Language users what those things currently are

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

And The Académie consists of forty members, known as les immortels.  As opposed to EGS where Les Immortels are the French immortals who coerced Susan and Nanase into becoming Vampire Hunters.  Then after resetting improperly, found their way to Moperville without knowing why and started following Elliot for reasons they could not explain

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

I still refer to the Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary (the giant so-big-you-can-barely-carry-it type) that I took to college, but it obviously wouldn’t have any 21st century neologisms in it. For neologisms and informal slang I refer to urbandictionary.com.

I'm expecting to see on that list, "The kids graduation this year ..." the item "... have never seen a dictionary." Which makes sense, bekuz thay kan't spel.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I'm expecting to see on that list, "The kids graduation this year ..." the item "... have never seen a dictionary." Which makes sense, bekuz thay kan't spel.

It's the "text mode" spellings that drive me made.  Plus abbreviations that if you don't know what are not obvious in context.  That being said I live by the red underline.

Nah, what’s maddening is that the kids can’t separate informal writing, such as their texting, from formal writing, such as their school assignments. They use the same register for everything, which is equivalent to addressing royalty the way that you talk to your drinking buddies.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

It's the "text mode" spellings that drive me made.  Plus abbreviations that if you don't know what are not obvious in context.  That being said I live by the red underline.

I do a bit of that living by the red underline. I hate autocorrect; sometimes I send really stupid sounding stuff because I didn't catch that it changed a word on me.

19 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I do a bit of that living by the red underline. I hate autocorrect; sometimes I send really stupid sounding stuff because I didn't catch that it changed a word on me.

One of the primary reasons I don't use my phone to do anything that requires text is that I really hate autocorrect.  SMS messages are a real pain for me.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

One of the primary reasons I don't use my phone to do anything that requires text is that I really hate autocorrect.  SMS messages are a real pain for me.

pl tawk wird 2

On 11/4/2021 at 6:28 PM, mlooney said:

I've got a beard and I have no desire to do that.

The evil me from the alternate universe, beard coded for your convenience. Thank you, Mr. Roddenberry.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I've got a beard yet at one time didn't.  Does this mean I've turned evil?

If the beard is a neatly trimmed and stylish goatee, there is a strong possibility of Evil involved

If the beard is scruffy, you're evil ranking is on the cave man spectrum

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If the beard is a neatly trimmed and stylish goatee, there is a strong possibility of Evil involved

My beard is on the scruffy side of things.  I don't really feel like I'm a cave man, at least not any more.  There was a time I was heavy into caving, but that was last century.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:46 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I 'shave' with hair clippers, always have stubble, so I guess I'm on the caveman spectrum.

This makes me wonder: "How did cavemen manage this, lacking hair clippers?" and "Would the caveman spectrum be based on their fire pit light source, or are we talking the audio spectrum of their culture, or the various hues strewn about as they and their various prey slew each other?" Both the first and the third would tend toward what photographers call the warm tones.

Of course, since I'm on the caveman spectrum, I can just measure myself.

36 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

This makes me wonder: "How did cavemen manage this, lacking hair clippers?"

Why am I now thinking about Cro-magnon and/or Neanderthals with ZZ top style beards?  

4 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Did the Cro-Mags have the ZZ Top style car as well?

Depends, where they also a sharp dressed man?