• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

The Saga of the New Music Computer

9 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I would kindly ask that we not hijack this thread for purposes other than the stated subject. I am not a moderator, but I did start the thread, and it is primarily (or at least tangentially) about something I'm doing. Thank you very much.

Seconded.

-- the Moderator

I have "side-loaded" a product onto the build - a fresh supply of Stabilant 22A. If you're not familiar with the product and you do any system building at all, I highly recommend you click on the link. Stabilant 22A is a NATO-spec contact enhancer that I've used since the 90s. It creates a bond similar to a weld without welding, while being a sort of contact inhibitor in between contact points where no contact material exists, preventing cross-contacts. I've never lost a circuit board or CPU due to faulty contacts where I've used Stabilant 22A, at least not that I'm aware. It's good stuff. I'm going to give my son my existing supply for helping me put together my system, and I'm going to use my new supply in the new build.

23 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

NATO-spec

That really doesn't mean all that much.  Just that it's in the supply chain of at least one NATO nation.  Lots of really crappy things have a NATO stock number.  That being said, if it works like you said it seems like a good deal.

Added another item to the shopping list: a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard (LXM-00001), Black. This is a replacement for my old 1st generation Microsoft Natural Keyboard, also black, with a PS/2 connector. None of the high-end Z690 motherboards have PS/2 ports anymore, so I need to bid my old keyboard adieu and finally move into the modern era. I have hedged my bet, however - I've ordered a USB-to-PS/2 adapter, but I don't have high hopes for it working. It was only just under $9.00, so there's no skin off my nose if it doesn't work. I've gone ahead and ordered the LXM-00001 keyboard at a price of $49.62, including tax, from Amazon, just in case.

I considered going with fancier keyboards, but I decided to stick with something at least moderately familiar. I've been using that keyboard since the late 90s. I don't want to ditch a good thing by going too weird.

Just got a sweet deal via a price alert from PCPartPicker on my Seasonic FOCUS PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum Full-Modular power supply. Regular price was $149.99 - Newegg knocked it down to $109.99 with free shipping, plus added a $15 mail-in rebate card. I snapped that up like a crocodile snaps up a plucked chicken.

$1357.24 down - only approximately $1186.15 to go!

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I snapped that up like a crocodile snaps up a plucked chicken

Did the chicken run in a zig-zag path?  <Mythbusters joke>

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And when food is used as a metaphor for good news, it is never British cuisine

I snapped that up like a Brit snaps up Marmite on a digestive. Is that close to being right? ;) 

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Did the chicken run in a zig-zag path?  <Mythbusters joke>

Since it was plucked, I doubt it did much running at all. :P 

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Since it was plucked, I doubt it did much running at all

Of course the Mythbusters actually used quail, so there is that.

18 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Lots of boxes, books & shelves

Explorer might enjoy it

She might at that.  Of course she really likes  empty boxes, not ones full of stuff, but full boxes are cool to sit and sleep on.

And without any warning, household finances have forced a screeching halt to the computer build until at least after the new year. I am supremely not happy with this situation and will stop typing before I type something that will get me in trouble.

Correction: the build has not completely come to a screeching halt, not just yet. I am restricted to purchasing items using funds from my own personal bank accounts. I am not allowed to touch the household account at this time. This does not let me complete the build by any means. The restriction will not come off until after the new year.

Still not a happy camper.

Be glad you don't have my finances.  it would take me the better part of 2 years to raise your machine's cost.  And it's not like "next year" is all that far away, 6 weeks, more or less. 

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Be glad you don't have my finances.  it would take me the better part of 2 years to raise your machine's cost.  And it's not like "next year" is all that far away, 6 weeks, more or less. 

If it weren't for Mrs. Prof's retirement income, I would have your finances. I'm on Social Security Disability myself, and I don't get to keep a dime of it for my "personal" coffers - it all goes into the household account. And as for "next year," it's a painful wait when my serious music writing is brought to a screeching halt because the Music Computer can no longer handle virtual instruments properly. That's why I was gunning for the build now, instead of waiting for a break in the chip shortage.

Farfnargl.

Yeah, I can understand your frustration.  I keep trying to build up enough cash to go to Pennsic but every time I get close, I end up needing to spend 500-600 bucks on unexpected stuff.  Most recent was The Great Move.

I've made the final purchase from my money before the hiatus - the G.SKILL Flare X 64GB RAM. Quite pricey at $411.34 including tax, but very fast at CAS level 14 and 14-14-14 timings. It's advertised as Made for AMD Ryzen systems, but the G.Skill website says the RAM works with Intel-based motherboards as well, so no worries there.

I think I may have negotiated a Black Friday purchase out of Mrs. Prof. We shall see. It would be a shame if I didn't get to save at least a little bit of money,.

Well, the Black Friday negotiation turned out to be a "week before" near knock-down-drag-out argument. I did manage to get one item out of the deal, though - a new SSD. Decided to go with a Kingston KC3000 2TB instead of the previously picked Samsung, however. The Kingston is a real speed demon in testing, which is what I need. The reason I couldn't wait until Black Friday had to do with vanishing inventory. The place that is selling them at a decent price had their inventory shrink from over 250 to just barely over 100 in less than 24 hours. They'd never make it to Black Friday, and with this drive being brand new, the likelihood of the drive being restocked anytime soon at the discounted price is pretty close to zero. Hence the emergency purchase.

So, here's my last PCPartPicker parts list going into the real hiatus:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  (Purchased For $465.46) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($119.02 @ Amazon) 
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-5 Incl. Spatula 4 g Thermal Paste  (Purchased For $7.58) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($346.39) (not purchased yet)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory  (Purchased For $411.34) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $585.63) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $135.30) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $113.65) 
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($26.95 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan #2: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($26.95 @ Amazon) 
Keyboard: Microsoft LXM-00001 Wired Ergonomic Keyboard  (Purchased For $49.62) 
Custom: Noctua NM-i17xx-MP83 chromax.Black, Mounting Kit CPU Coolers on Intel's LGA1700 Platform (Black)  ($9.63 @ Amazon) 
Custom (Storage): Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD - High-performance storage for desktop and laptop PCs -SKC3000S/2048G  (Purchased For $426.57) 
Total: $2724.09
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-20 02:51 EST-0500

I'm down to a mere $528.94 of unpurchased parts, and it's going to have to stay that way until either after January 1st or until I come up with some income of my own. Know anyone who needs a few minutes of music commissioned? ;) 

I wasn't kidding when I mentioned music commissions. Read my latest blog entry:

https://dleejackson.lbjackson.com/2021/11/major-announcement-commissions-open/

I'm officially open to commissions, effective immediately. Already got one nibble that could just about pay off the remainder of the outstanding balance of parts.

Well, I finished my first commission, and in conjunction with an eBay sale of some excess laptop RAM, it did indeed cover the remainder of my outstanding parts list. I have officially purchased the last item on the list, a MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard. Even got it at a $10 discount, thanks to a promo that came with the CPU cooler I bought.

So, for the final time, here is my PCPartPicker list, with everything purchased:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor  (Purchased For $465.46) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $119.02) 
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-5 Incl. Spatula 4 g Thermal Paste  (Purchased For $7.58) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  (Purchased For $336.39) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory  (Purchased For $411.34) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  (Purchased For $585.63) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $135.30) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $113.65) 
Case Fan #1: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  (Purchased For $26.95) 
Case Fan #2: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  (Purchased For $26.95) 
Keyboard: Microsoft LXM-00001 Wired Ergonomic Keyboard  (Purchased For $49.62) 
Custom (NVMe SSD): Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD - High-performance storage for desktop and laptop PCs -SKC3000S/2048G  (Purchased For $426.57) 
Total: $2704.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-04 11:29 EST-0500

I also bought a couple of custom PCIe power cables from CableMod to power the fancy motherboard I just bought. Those set me back $49.80, making the grand total spend $2754.26.

This is the first time I've been able to go with truly top-of-the-line components for a build (everything but the video card, that is). I'm really looking forward to seeing how this beast functions.

2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

This is the first time I've been able to go with truly top-of-the-line components for a build (everything but the video card, that is). I'm really looking forward to seeing how this beast functions.

Unless your music software is doing something computational on the GPU you shouldn't need a high end graphics card on a music machine.  Congratulation on getting all the parts!

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Unless your music software is doing something computational on the GPU you shouldn't need a high end graphics card on a music machine.

My thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Congratulation on getting all the parts!

They're not all here yet - they've been ordered, though. The motherboard is on its way. Soon, soon. :) Thank you!