• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

The Saga of the New Music Computer

Ah. I don't normally have data big enough that a USB flash disk isn't big enough to use.  That and I use Dropbox to store work products, which has the advantage of automacicaly mirroring the data, which gives me the 3-2-1 backup schema.  (3 copies, 2 different media, 1 off site)

Latest problem: the motherboard isn't booting into Windows, even though I've got all my backups restored. It should be recognizing what's supposed to be my C: drive, but instead it boots straight from power-up into the uEFI BIOS screen. I have a feeling there may be a conflict between my C: drive and my G: drive, which also used to be a system bootable drive. I'm now doing some serious partition surgery, using the Parted Magic live distro, to delete the old system partition from drive G: and move the data partition to the beginning of the drive. Seeing as how the partition is almost 4 TB in size, it's taking over 12 hours to do the move/resize. As @mlooney would say, this is "less than optimal," but I have no other choice at the moment.

Absolute fscking disaster. Moving the partition was a waste of time. Nothing I did was able to get the system to recognize the old computer's C: drive. I finally had to take it back to bare metal, create a GPT disk, and then install Windows 11 Professional from scratch.

I've since managed to get my D:, E:, G:, and H: drives recognized in the right order. Once I got Total Commander, my password manager, and Dropbox installed, I went back and did something else drastic: I moved all the data off of my 2 TB E: drive to my G: drive (E: was pretty sparse to begin with) and fired up Clonezilla again to restore my old C: drive data onto the E: drive's hardware. This allows me to copy data/programs from my old C: drive to my new C: drive without involving an external USB drive.

In any case, I'm going to be days fixing this clusterfark. Between the problem itself and my disability issues, it's going to be a long, drawn-out procedure, and one that may never be 100% solved, thanks to the wipe/clean install. I'd say wish me luck, but in this case, what I really need is a wish for stamina. I'm really going to need it.

Murphy’s Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Moore’s Law: The processing power of computers doubles every 18 months.

Murphy & Moore’s Law: The number of things that can go wrong with computers doubles every 18 months.

11 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Absolute fscking disaster.

Moving to a new computer is always very easy, to the point of trivial, or so freaking hard you spend days and days on it.

Looks like you got the second case.  Good luck getting it resolved and back where you can do useful work soon.

UPDATE:

The new Music Computer is functional, to a degree. I've got Cakewalk by Bandlab up and running, and finally finished configuring it last night. Just over 800 of my 1700+ plugins have been reinstalled, and that's enough for me to write music. As a result, I've gone ahead and reopened the commissions queue. I expect to be writing new music later today, now that I've watched a few refresher videos on how to use some of my other music software with Cakewalk.

There's still a bit of hardware work needed to be done on the system, such as getting my Blu-ray drive reconnected, but that's not vital to writing music at this time. At long last, I get to see how this premeditated monster functions. Looking forward to the mayhem. :) 

15 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Perhaps you could use a LEG aggregation instead?

If not LEG, what about LEGO?

How about it, Hack?  Is Denmark perfecting a way to combine the ultimate in modular construction with audio electronics?

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Perhaps you could use a LEG aggregation instead? <ducks, runs>

/me OK, running will not stop you from The List.

Got another toy for the new Music Computer: a USB MIDI Breath Controller. 'Twill help me write more realistic brass and woodwind parts. Got it with some of the funds that have accumulated since the computer was put together. Here's a link to the product: https://www.tecontrol.se/products/usb-midi-breath-controller

And a picture:

usb-midi-breath-controller.jpg

Cost me a pretty penny at around $195, but it'll be worth it. A big chunk of that was shipping, since they're using "couriers" (their description) to send out the product. The upside is that I should probably receive it next week, even though it's coming from Sweden.