• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Tuesday November 09, 2021

https://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/forreals-13

That does assume people actually want real discussions, and aren't just trying to "win" at arguing

My reality is relative and subjective

What ever I think is right is right and there is no need for discussion and debate

If you do not agree with me completely, you are wrong

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

Oh, we are "The Buddy Bears", we always get along,
Each day we do a little dance, and sing a little song,
If you ever disagree, it means that you are wrong,
Oh, we are the Buddy Bears, we always get along!

Oh, we are the Buddy Bears, we never have a fight,
Anyone who disagrees is never, ever right,
If you have a point of view, then keep it out of sight,
Oh, we are the Buddy Bears, we never have a fight!

I have no idea who or what the "Buddy Bears" are and I don't think I want to know.

That aside, Elliot does bring up a totally valid point, that if you don't have an agreed on starting point it's hard to have a rational discussion.

38 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I have no idea who or what the "Buddy Bears" are and I don't think I want to know.

All that you need to know is that they are annoying characters meant to satirically teach conformity-at-all-costs on the early 1990s cartoon “Garfield and Friends”, a show based on the “Garfield” newspaper comic strip by Jim Davis.

8 minutes ago, ijuin said:

“Garfield and Friends”, a show based on the “Garfield” newspaper comic strip by Jim Davis.

That's a bit of a stretch

Yes, Davis was involved and the character names were the same

But the whole thing was much more like Davis' silly animal comic "US Acres" than the sarcastic "Garfield" strip

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I don't care what you say

Well aged Danish Bleu Cheese is at least as tasty as Roquefort

Actually I don't have a problem with that.  Of course Roquefort is illegal in the US, so I can't really compare them

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Actually I don't have a problem with that.  Of course Roquefort is illegal in the US, so I can't really compare them

And Danablu is still legal? Are you Americans insane? It was outlawed under the Convention of Geneva! :danshiftyeyes:

(The Swiss Cheese Convention, not the war crimes one.)

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That's a bit of a stretch

Yes, Davis was involved and the character names were the same

But the whole thing was much more like Davis' silly animal comic "US Acres" than the sarcastic "Garfield" strip

The cartoon show was much better than the comic, though definitely kid fare. Although, even a stopped clock is right twice a day; he is occasionally funny.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

I could have sworn I've seen Roquefort in stores, and I may have. The US FDA bans the sale of cheese that has a typically high level of bacteria, generally due to the use of unpasteurized milk. The ban started in 2015. So yeah, I've probably seen Roquefort on shelves, before the ban. The ban also affects domestic producers of cheese.

We've have a similar ban on unpasteurized milk sale in the US for much longer, but you can buy unpasteurized milk directly from the farmer. I believe that to be allowed to do this, the farms are subject to rigorous inspections for adherence to sanitary practices.

The case against Roquefort in particular is weak, the high count is primarily the same benign form of e coli that is in our guts.

A few of the cheeses, Casu Martzu in particular, have more than just bacterial count. Casu Martzu is also prohibited in the EU for actual health reasons, and there is a black market for it where it is a traditional cheese.

The cheese mites in Mimolette can cause an allergic reaction. On one hand, it seems like we manage many foods that can cause allergic reaction, on the other, it looks like cheese, it's kind of a stealthy potential allergen, on the third hand (thank you, Larry Niven, for The Gripping Hand), the stealthy aspect is true of other allergens, hence the warnings on products about 'tree nuts and peanuts were processed in this same facility'. Other cheeses incorporating mites are apparently not banned. That does not make me want to rush out an buy some.

I tend to draw the line at “food” that tries to eat me when it really ought to be well and thoroughly dead.

On that note, the Klingon dish, “Gagh” is aptly named, as that is the first word uttered by most people who try to eat it.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I could have sworn I've seen Roquefort in stores, and I may have. The US FDA bans the sale of cheese that has a typically high level of bacteria, generally due to the use of unpasteurized milk. The ban started in 2015. So yeah, I've probably seen Roquefort on shelves, before the ban. The ban also affects domestic producers of cheese.

I would have sworn that the ban on unpasteurized cheese was earlier than 2015.  https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/why-americans-dont-get-eat-delicious-raw-milk-cheese says it was in 1987, but the bacterium ban was 2015, doubling the ban on some cheese.

I do however recall seeing imitation Roquefort for sale in my area (San Francisco/Silicon Valley). The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) allows it to be sold as “Roquefort style”, so that may be what Darth Fluffy has seen. The imitation stuff probably is made with pasteurized milk and does conform to FDA requirements. It is “imitation” in the same sense that sparkling white wine from anywhere other than France is not truly “Champagne”, but my father, who had tasted genuine French Roquefort before, says that the better grades of it are a decent facsimile if you’re more interested in flavor than in snob value.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I would have sworn that the ban on unpasteurized cheese was earlier than 2015.  https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/why-americans-dont-get-eat-delicious-raw-milk-cheese says it was in 1987, but the bacterium ban was 2015, doubling the ban on some cheese.

That earlier ban would indeed apply; odd that it was not mentioned. The milk ban goes further back; a girl I dated in the late 70s liked unpasteurized milk, an I remember discussing the risk and how she got it from a local farmer.

I may still have seen Roquefort on a shelf; I've been shopping for food well before 1987, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Does Roquefort dressing have Roquefort cheese in it, and if so, how do they get around the ban? Quick scan of Google - it appears it has also disappeared in favor of bleu cheese dressing. 

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Does Roquefort dressing have Roquefort cheese in it, and if so, how do they get around the ban? Quick scan of Google - it appears it has also disappeared in favor of bleu cheese dressing. 

I remember as a child having both kinds of dressing and liking Roquefort better.  When I got out of the army and started buying food again, I was sad to find that i couldn't get it any more.

16 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I remember as a child having both kinds of dressing and liking Roquefort better.  When I got out of the army and started buying food again, I was sad to find that i couldn't get it any more.

Thank you for your service, dude! I am skipping Golden Corral this year, love the gathering, but it gets really crowded, and COVID lingers. I met a WWII vet a couple of years ago (pre-COVID, maybe just before); he was in his 90s.

Did Golden Corral survive the pandemic?  I would have though that they were going to be dead in the water.  <google> Looks like most of them did.  The one in Joplin is open again.

16 hours ago, mlooney said:

Did Golden Corral survive the pandemic?  I would have though that they were going to be dead in the water.  <google> Looks like most of them did.  The one in Joplin is open again.

'Tis a scary place right now. However, I have a degree of loyalty to them, they pioneered Veterans Day meals before it was a common thing. That's what got me to go back. But they do other things well, and I will likely keep going back once COVID passes.

The food is generally good, not great, but more than adequate. I've found few items to complain about. That may be local, but it is several in the area (Raleigh-Durham, NC).

The price is not excessive. And, in particular, from 2:00 to 4:00 on weekdays they have a great seniors deal, 'Early Bird Special', during their nominally dead hours.

They do some things very well, enough to cover deficiencies. Omelettes to order in the morning, great waffles, meat grilled and cut to order, love their corn bread, decent deserts.

They have a lot of healthy choices. Good range of veggies. Always some fresh fruit.

A larger crowd can find a place. I've done Thanksgiving there with a largish group of friends, and a local reserve unit often fills a side room by themselves.

Good hours and (mostly) adequate parking. On said Veterans Day, parking is quite tight.

Oh I know about the good things about Golden Corral, I used to eat at one about once a month when I lived in Tulsa.  The closest one to me is in Joplin, which is about 30-45 minutes away.  One of the things I miss about Tulsa, that and Indian food places.  We've got a pho place in town and a good BBQ place and the standard mix of American Fast Food places.  We do have way more than our share of fried chicken places, all of which are really good, it's just the two really good ones are out of town, near where the mines used to be.