• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
The Old Hack

Story: Monday, November 15th

By that, I presume that Arthur means that he is very much a supporter of the ideal of liberty as opposed to people imposing their own values onto others more than is strictly necessary for safety, as in “You should be free to do anything that doesn’t cause harm”.

He truly does live in a different universe. I wish it were so.

Huh, just noticed the homograph, "He does nice art work" vs "The herd of deer has three does".

Last panel, Tedd is turning Canadian.

6 hours ago, ijuin said:

By that, I presume that Arthur means that he is very much a supporter of the ideal of liberty as opposed to people imposing their own values onto others more than is strictly necessary for safety, as in “You should be free to do anything that doesn’t cause harm”.

That's the way I took it. Also pretty much the way I first approached the whole idea of transgender issues.

It is wrong to change your appearance to defraud or to avoid arrest and imprisonment.  The mundane parts of the FBI and other law enforcement agencies investigate that.

It is wrong to change your appearance into that of a monster to kill or destroy property or manipulate others.  We have seen this agency respond to that.

But if you are not committing some other crime, simply changing your appearance is not a violation of any applicable federal law over which Arthur's agency has jurisdiction

And investigating, monitoring, pursuing or detaining people doing things you may not like or understand, but which are not specifically felonies, generally constitutes a waste of limited agency resources and opens up everyone involved to potential prosecution and litigation.

So Arthur's politics, at a minimum, is "I believe strongly in not getting sued, arrested, investigated or giving any bureaucrat an excuse to cut my government pension"

This is a political position I comprehend quite well

9 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So Arthur's politics, at a minimum, is "I believe strongly in not getting sued, arrested, investigated or giving any bureaucrat an excuse to cut my government pension"

That's more or less the "your rights exist until your fist reaches my face" sort of thing.  Just a bureaucrat version.  Still not a bad starting point.  I think he goes beyond that however.

48 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That's more or less the "your rights exist until your fist reaches my face" sort of thing.  Just a bureaucrat version.  Still not a bad starting point.  I think he goes beyond that however.

I'm inclined to believe the same, though that may be projection on my part. This comic leads me to the conclusion that Arthur cherishes the ideals, however imperfectly circumstances may lead him to apply them.

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

I'm inclined to believe the same, though that may be projection on my part. This comic leads me to the conclusion that Arthur cherishes the ideals, however imperfectly circumstances may lead him to apply them.

Yeah, that's about the time I started to like Arthur.  That or when he just rolled with Tedd as a girl.

Yes, he seems to be conveying an attitude of “I may not understand you, but that is no reason to be judgmental of you.” I think that this attitude may come from having seen so many things that are beyond normal understanding that he has accepted that things do not necessarily fit into cut and dried preconceived categories just because we want them to. To quote William Shakespeare’s Hamlet, “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, he seems to be conveying an attitude of “I may not understand you, but that is no reason to be judgmental of you.” I think that this attitude may come from having seen so many things that are beyond normal understanding that he has accepted that things do not necessarily fit into cut and dried preconceived categories just because we want them to. To quote William Shakespeare’s Hamlet, “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.”

Most days he would be "flabbergasted" at strange thing. Others, not so much.

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/2018-05-25

19 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

That's the way I took it. Also pretty much the way I first approached the whole idea of transgender issues.

Mine too. It certainly beats the attitude of "Anything that is not strictly within the norms I am used to should be not only forbidden but harshly punishable and socially ostracized."

Still, some people seem to think that is America so what can you do.

16 hours ago, ijuin said:

“I may not understand you, but that is no reason to be judgmental of you.”

That is an excellent place to build your philosophy on.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Mine too. It certainly beats the attitude of "Anything that is not strictly within the norms I am used to should be not only forbidden but harshly punishable and socially ostracized."

Still, some people seem to think that is America so what can you do.

Fear, it's a big motivator. It's not just here, though, although we are a very visible example.