• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Wednesday November 17, 2021

As I suspected from Monday's strip, I have more or less the same view of the world and what America should be  as Arthur.  And I can see why Arthur thinks he's a monster or worse.

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I can see why Arthur thinks he's a monster or worse.

Arthur believes in the American ideal so much he works for the American Government to pursue peace and justice

Unfortunately, the details of what the American government demands in the name of "Peace and Justice" are often far from the American ideals

So Arthur had a choice, quit the job and be unable to anything or stay and do things he finds objectionable in the hope of a better outcome in the long run

The phrase “Truth, Justice, and The American Way” implies that The American Way is distinct from both Truth and Justice.

Anyway, it seems that Arthur sees his role as that of a guardian protecting Americans from the things that go bump in the night. That meshes well with Tedd’s stated goal of finding a way for people to shield themselves against unwanted spell effects, and is probably a reason for why he wants Tedd onboard right away instead of waiting for Tedd to get more education and training.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

The phrase “Truth, Justice, and The American Way” implies that The American Way is distinct from both Truth and Justice.

In theory it could be a subset of Truth and Justice.

Pretty words. The ideal is cool. The track record, not so much. This is a primary reason that ignorance is bliss.

I'm under no delusions that anywhere else is any better.

The Choctaw Nation, deposed from their homelands, and forcibly marched to 'Indian Territory', now know as Oklahoma, sent aid to Ireland during the Potato Famine. I don't think you will find many stories of human solidarity that top that.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Anyway, it seems that Arthur sees his role as that of a guardian protecting Americans from the things that go bump in the night. 

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”

I go bump in the night. Until I turn a light on. I don't think anyone should be scared. I don't think anyone even notices.

It's the things that go bump in the night when everyone is accounted for.  Of course in my case it's normally just Explorer going for either a late night snack or using the litter box.