• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Comic for Saturday, Dec 4, 2021

Hmm, which of Grace’s Moperville South teachers have we seen besides Raven, the gym teacher, and the science teacher?

Speaking of which, what-all classes is Grace taking? We can assume that she is taking the most advanced mathematics available (probably Calculus), and the Physics class that goes with it. She has History with Raven, Gym, and presumably English class. That leaves space for either an elective class or a language. What would she be taking in that slot?

At least Moperville South has multiple teachers.  Unlike some fictional schools where the same teacher character ends up teaching almost every class...

And yes Grace, communicating in that manner may be much more difficult than you first imagined.  I, for one, am often experiencing several unrelated emotions at any given moment and I attempt to express several intentions and meaning with every statement.  Of course, this also leaves my listeners struggling to understand me.  But that's  not so bad since I rarely understand myself anyway.

Let me root, root, root for the home team.  If they don't win it's a shame.

Reading between the lines; urban high schools, town is big enough to need two, and they are traditionally large; cafeteria, assembly room, gym, little used places with some expectation of privacy, large restrooms; both have a large staff. Teachers will be more or less fully occupied, will teach multiple classes, but will have some free periods throughout the day, I think. I am basing this on having attended high school in a town with a similar situation and how the teachers there were used. I fairly often had a course which spanned two semesters, in which case I had the same teacher twice, but other than that, rarely had the same teacher again. For some subjects, had I taken additional years of the same foreign language, for example, then I would have had the same instructor for multiple years.

Oh, I think I had the same gym teacher more than once. Had I been in band or orchestra, we had one guy that did all of that. I think we had limited art teachers, it was an elective by high school, and only kids super interested in art fit it into their schedules. Ditto shop.

Based on how ours worked, it seems unlikely that she would have gotten Raven as an instructor the next year. I think the social studies instructors tended to specialize. The same ones taught 'American' vs 'World' each year.

Maybe relevant, Grace seems to have an ongoing relationship with Rhoda as a tutor. That would be one of her longest academic relationships. As she is bright, you have to wonder why she needs it long-term. What is Rhoda helping her grapple with a year later? Has Rhoda picked up on weird speech quirks that suggest Grace is not what she claims to be? (Apparently not, but why not?) Has Tedd noticed, and wouldn't he help her past that? Or Ellen? Seems like a new layer of 'dysfunctional' is being artificially inserted.