• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Sketchbook: Saturday, Dec 11 2021

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am imagining Susan & Elliot deciding to not continue the show after High School
So for a surprise on the last episode, Ellen gives them an FV5 blast just as they are wrapping up their commentary

It could happen . . . 

Hmm.  While magic is a know factor in life now, I'm not so sure how DGB would respond to that sort of magical shenanigans.  Assuming, of course, that any one in DGB watches the video review show.

They don't need to say it's real magic

This show has an established history of cheap special effects (recall Sarah's couch incident)

If the transition looks like an obvious camera trick while they substitute two out-of-work models who kind of look like the hosts, no one but the most paranoid conspiracy theorist will bother trying to uncover the Truth

There does seem that there were a lot of people looking for magic in town, but I suspect that most of them have left, but might be keeping an eye open for more magic in Moperville.

On 12/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am imagining Susan & Elliot deciding to not continue the show after High School
So for a surprise on the last episode, Ellen gives them an FV5 blast just as they are wrapping up their commentary

It could happen . . . 

"Do you believe in magic, in a young girl's heart? ..."

Close, but those ain't their hearts, John.

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

"Do you believe in magic, in a young girl's heart? ..."

Close, but those ain't their hearts, John.

No, but the word “bosom” is often used as a euphemism for both meanings. :D

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

No, but the word “bosom” is often used as a euphemism for both meanings. :D

Putting way too much thought into this, it seems to me that bosom means external, in the chest area, as opposed to internal. 'In the bosom of Abraham' would mean 'held close by Abraham to his chest', not 'inside the bloody interior of Abraham'. I could be wrong. Happens to Luke with a tuantaun in The Empire Strikes Back. So, you never know.

No mention will be made of Bosom Buddies, except I just did, sorry. Does Oxymoron sound like a brand of brain bleach? Oxymorons would be a good name for a punk band.

32 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Oxymorons would be a good name for a punk band.

Most things, if taken far enough out of context would be a good name for a band.  Maybe not a punk band, but you know, a band.

38 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Most things, if taken far enough out of context would be a good name for a band.  Maybe not a punk band, but you know, a band.

It's the intrinsic self-deprecation that makes it punk.

'Most Things'? I don't get a specific genre vibe from that. 'Moist Things', maybe - I imagine they'd appeal to Jimmy Buffet's crowd.

'Out of Context' could be a country band that plays in a country themed club in an urban environment.

'Far Out of Context' would be similar, just a weirder combo, like Peruvian pan flutes in London. Probably better if they used the Spanish for it, though.

Anyone want to get a band together? We can be El Shiveish Goons.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Anyone want to get a band together? We can be El Shiveish Goons.

I'd be a fan, but my lack of musical skills would be a limitation on me being in a band.

43 minutes ago, mlooney said:

my lack of musical skills would be a limitation on me being in a band

Unfortunately, the vast majority of what passes for contemporary music in any genre is mediocre at best

Skill and Talent in any aspect of Music are apparently not the most important requirements to have music written, performed, recorded, sold, or "enjoyed" by masses who don't know any better

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Unfortunately, the vast majority of what passes for contemporary music in any genre is mediocre at best

Skill and Talent in any aspect of Music are apparently not the most important requirements to have music written, performed, recorded, sold, or "enjoyed" by masses who don't know any better

Skill seems to do better than lack, within a genre. Not liking a genre is a different thing.

That said, in our era, many other factors than just the music carry weight. The quality of the recording, the acoustics of the venue, the showmanship, the quality of the video, both technically and artistically, and the story line.

Freddie Mercury was good on the keyboard, and Queen was a good band, but they have incredibly memorable and apropos songs that resonate with crowds, and so are often used at sporting events and the like. And Freddy was a superb showman.

Would we remember Twisted Sister if every political hack didn't try to co-opt 'We're Not Gonna Take It'?

I'm not a fan of disco, and if I never hear 'Disco Duck' again, it will me too soon. (Apologies for reminding you that song exists.) Yet I can recognize the brilliance of the Bee Gees disco tunes, which are at least as good as their older stuff (although, 'Words' is still my fav).

Weird Al is widely appreciated for his lyrics, his ability to stay within the tone of the song he's spoofing while maintaining his spoof. But many others have done this and are still doing it. He blows them out of the water with his accompanying videos, which match the tone of the video of the spoofed song and/or tell their own story.

Skill has impact, skill matters.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am reminded of something I read some years ago, about a professor at a California university. He taught two classes that are relevant: Rock Music Appreciation and Classical Music Appreciation. The former always overflowed the largest lecture hall on campus, while the latter routinely struggled to get enough students signed up that the university didn't drop it.

In an interview he was asked his opinion of rock music, and replied that 90% of it is crap. Then he was asked how that compared to classical music, and he pointed out that 90% of it was dropped from the repertoire a century or more ago.

(Personally I think that's a bit unfair. Two people might agree that 90% of rock music is crap but strenuously disagree on which 90%.)

Even in genres that don't seem to have a "classic" era (i.e. Metal) there are bands that are better than others and their music is more likely to be found several years (or decades) after it was recorded.  I say I like metal.  What I mean is I like a select list of metal bands.  I'm the same way with prog-rock.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

This is why I like classical, classic & oldies.
The mediocre or worse stuff tends to be forgotten after a few decades

Are you dissin' Soliari?  :P