• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic Thursday December 16, 2021

NP Comic Thursday December 16, 2021

Grace makes a good point, why was (were) the compass (and matches, life raft, and guns) packed?

My (previous) theory for the first three is for when they return to Earth.

The guns could be as well, but there are other possibilities on the moon. There is the possibility of hostile humans, although the EGS universe seems technologically contemporary with ours, and the time frame seems similar, even a bit slower due to the pace of the comic. But we've seen Uryuoms and critters in space, and maybe NASA knows other universes occasionally visit?

Same three guys; I wonder if "So cute" foreshadows drama?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace has the right mentality

If it seems like a good idea to me, it must be a good idea

If it is not a good idea, it is the fault of someone else (in this case, the person who packed the ship)

Arrgh, boiled down like that, it's a terrible philosophy, yet it is pretty much what we are constrained to do.

What are the alternatives? Inaction? Yeah, that will get you far, not at all. Let someone else do the thinking? Honestly, it is better than total passivity, but still, no. 

Hopefully, you have some critical thinking skills, and are open minded to acquire new data, yet skeptical enough to reject the bulk of the noise. Then, hopefully, you have a peer group whose opinions you value who can contribute a consensus that you can use as a platform for extrapolation, and whose responses will provide valuable guidance.

And then it boils back down to what you said.

Not so sure the blame part is actually all that useful. It is good to hold people accountable, but often blame does the opposite, it is deflection by involved parties to avoid accountability. In this case, Grace is using 'fault' as a point of evidence, so that works.

50 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Never said it was a magnetic compass, just compass

Again, the obvious answer only reveals itself after the debate is over

They are obviously referring to a pair of compasses so that the expedition can complete their Geometry homework before returning to Earth

True.  I suspect that the "real" answer is as Grace put it, either it would help with navigation or it should have been in the command module, which is the part that will return to earth and might need survival tools.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

It could be a sun-compass.  Never said it was a magnetic compass, just compass.
https://spacecentre.co.uk/blog-post/apollo-sun-compass/

That is ingenious. The NASA test, linked in the Tuesday topic by AFNB, indicated that they meant a magnetic compass. <shrug>