• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Other Random Comics

Is this actually irony?

Claim that something is irony tends to to set a lot of folks off. For something to be truly ironic, the source should mean one thing on the surface, but something else in opposition in a less obvious sense. Of course, claims that X is not ironic could mean, "Hmm, well, I guess you're not the target audience".

So, how is someone (an inspector? a cop?) falling in a bottomless pit while citing a couple for not having proper safety rails around the pit ironic? At first glance, the need for the safety fence is in fact proven. Not really irony, is it?

The likely intended meaning is that the inspector was aware of the hazard, and fell in anyway. Yeah, that is a bit ironic, which is what the lady said.

'Bottomless pit' is itself ironic; no pit can be truly bottomless, unless you mean a singularity in a black hole.

You might wonder, "Why a fence? Why not just install a sturdy cover?" and "Why was an inspection and citation necessary? Wasn't common sense sufficient?" (Clearly not.) I don't think these qualify as irony. I wonder, "How did the couple come to acquire this hole? Did it come with the house, as seems likely? Did the builder not notice, hence why it isn't already covered? Was it a selling feature? Where are the couple's children? Where is the dog?" (Still not irony) "The inspector was aware of the hole, but still fell in. Does this imply they were pushed?" (Touching on irony, maybe).

Discussing this is a bit ironic; it's as if it was interesting and had value, ...

On 2/26/2023 at 10:38 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

It appears that he went out of his way to earn that.

I liked him during the 90s. It deeply saddens me to see what he has become. It was bad enough when he went all in for Moldy Tangerine back in 2016.

3 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I liked him during the 90s.

Agreed. He was a needed voice at the time, he highlighted workplace issues that needed coverage.

The thing about Dilbert in the 90s was it was essentially so real and relatable. You knew people who were like the characters.

There was one comic where Dilbert quits, and the boss offers him a raise to stay. "The company rewards disloyalty" I had a coworker who had just recently done that exact thing to his boss.

I lost interest a long while back. It wasn't on my radar any more.

On 3/17/2023 at 9:46 AM, mlooney said:

Goat likes to speak truth to power.  Rat likes to be power.

Goat almost always says something worthy of being said, and it is rarely taken that way.

More or less—compared to the time that Earth has existed, humanity’s existence is a tiny sliver of that, and what we consider to be “civilization” is less than a twentieth of that, even if we include the 2/3 of the years since the first cities that are “prehistoric” due to writing not having been invented before the third millennium BC.