• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ProfessorTomoe

Merry Christmas 2021

3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

To everyone here, I wish you a happy, joyous, and Merry Christmas.

On that note, let me share a novelty song from the days of Austin Public Access TV: "I Kidnapped Santa Claus." Enjoy.

That was, well, interesting.

Everybody have a happy Christmas if you do that.  Have a better than average day if you don't.

9 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

To everyone here, I wish you a happy, joyous, and Merry Christmas.

On that note, let me share a novelty song from the days of Austin Public Access TV: "I Kidnapped Santa Claus." Enjoy.

Izta you singing?

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On Isaac Newton's 379th Birthday, NASA and the ESA launched the James Webb Space Telescope.

If it ever comes up, no one needs to launch anything for my birthday.  But lunch would be nice...

Yes! From the ESA site in French Guiana! ... although, I had not heard they finally launched. Per the clock, it was supposed to be several hours ago.

Merry Christmas and other various and sundry other celebrations! I did Diwali one year with neighbors, it was yummy. (That year it was around Christmas, but it floats; like many holidays, influenced by lunar cycles.)

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Izta you singing?

Oh, no no no. 'Tis a person my wife went to high school with in Victoria, TX, and who had a public access TV show in Austin back in the 80s.

No, I don't sing.

Happy Two Turtle Doves day!
It's the 2nd Day of Christmas. 
For you English type Happy Boxing Day!
And for Good King Wenceslas fans it's the Feast of Stephen.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Happy Two Turtle Doves day!
It's the 2nd Day of Christmas. 
For you English types, Happy Boxing Day!
And for Good King Wenceslas fans it's the Feast of Stephen.

5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

No, I don't sing.

I can carry a tune in a bucket, but I need several trips.

I got a couple of books on IndyCar racing from my son and daughter-in-law. One was on the racing career of A.J. Foyt Jr., while the other was on the IRL/CART split in the mid-90s. They know I'm a huge IndyCar fan. So is Mrs. Prof. We've driven from the Dallas area all the way to Iowa to watch an IndyCar race before. Very appropriate gifts.

17 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When I hear that line, I expect to see Mad Scientist Tedd from the early years throwing two birds in turtle shells into the air

That does sound like early Tedd.

"So far, it's three partridges in three pear trees, four turtle doves, and three French hens. Where the #@%& am I supposed to keep all these birds? I guess we can get the grill out; invite the neighbors. You got any more surprises coming up, dearest?"

On 12/26/2021 at 9:02 AM, mlooney said:

For you English type Happy Boxing Day!

When I was a kid, I actually believed that this meant a lot of boxing matches. I was later on informed that I was not alone in holding this fond and rather awesome belief.

Happy Calling Birds day!  Or some sort of bird starting with C, to include Colly, Canary, Collie and colored.   Of course a select number of people should have a great Ducks Quacking Day!

Have a happy Golden Rings day!
Unless you are the type that says "And so on" starting tomorrow, in which case have a great Hares running day!

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Have a happy Golden Rings day!
Unless you are the type that says "And so on" starting tomorrow, in which case have a great Hares running day!

The "gold[en] rings" were always my favorite part of the song; the way it's sung sounds so triumphant.

Incidentally, thanks for pointing out there are different versions of the song with different gifts, it's quite fascinating. Before this year, the only variation I was aware of was a shorter version where days six to eleven are sped through without repeating the earlier days' gifts.

EDIT: I should specify, I was unaware of the traditional variations. I've heard a few humorous modern takes on the song, like Jeff Foxworthy's "Redneck 12 Days of Christmas", and Pinkie Pie's version from the "It's a Pony Kind of Christmas" album.

Edited by ChronosCat

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I was unaware of the traditional variations.

I like the variation that starts counting the days of Christmas with the birthday of Christ and keeps going from there

I think we are up to day 740220 which is Pink Penguins Skating

48 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I like the variation that starts counting the days of Christmas with the birthday of Christ and keeps going from there

I think we are up to day 740220 which is Pink Penguins Skating

It gets challenging to sing when you have to count down that many gifts, f'sure.

My favorite extra verse is "13 Mimes, it goes without saying ..."

My Christmas at home, to be honest, didn't pan out as I'd expected. I was anticipating that Mrs. Prof had bought me a Google Pixel 6 Pro phone to replace my old Samsung Galaxy J7. Turns out she hadn't even researched the phone or phone plans, much less bought the phone.

We've had a few discussions over the past few days that led up to what happened tonight. She expected me to do all the research and come up with a way of getting the Pixel without breaking the bank. Preliminary research proved disheartening. The phone was ridiculously overpriced, and our carrier required that it be paired with an unlimited data plan (which we did not have). At face value, a Pixel 6 Pro would have been unreachable. Even a base level 128GB Pixel 6 (non-Pro) would have, in conjunction with an unlimited data plan, increased our bill by $50 a month.

I wound up calling and, after some verbal jousting, managed to get in touch with the Wireless Loyalty department of my carrier. They found a discount for the phone that brought its price down to $12.20 a month for 36 months + tax, and they allowed us to keep our current wireless plan instead of forcing us onto a more expensive unlimited data plan. Net difference in price: $12.20 a month plus whatever taxes & fees go along with 5G access, which are supposed to be around $2. MUCH more palatable.

Mrs. Prof still wasn't completely happy, since I hadn't researched Wireless Carrier X before signing up with our current carrier. I researched them in retrospect and found that they weren't that good a deal to begin with. They had great prices for the first time you signed up, but after your initial contract ran out, prices doubled. That, plus data ran at 5G + 4G LTE speeds, whatever that meant (?), and that only ran for the first 35GB of data, after which things downshifted to 3G speeds. There were even more gotchas deeper in the fine print. I'm glad we didn't go with them.

So, the tl;dr version: I've got a Google Pixel 6 128GB version coming on Tuesday, complete with somebody to help me set it up at no extra charge. Fun times ahead.