• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic Saturday January 15, 2022

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

I wonder if this strip is part of a buildup to something, or just Dan stalling for time?

33 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is this a way to show that while people are gossiping about Grace, none of them are close to her real secrets?

I'd go with this, not The Dan just stalling for time.

26 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Be more tolerant of those of us who aren't time travellers, Chronos. :danshiftyeyes:

Well, as someone will point out, so it might as well be me, we are all time travelers.  Just one way and at a 1:1 ratio.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Well, as someone will point out, so it might as well be me, we are all time travelers.  Just one way and at a 1:1 ratio.

I definitely would have, except I think it's come up too recently.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I definitely would have, except I think it's come up too recently.

My memory is shot so I wasn't sure when the last time someone said that, and I didn't feel like reading archives.  And this forum has no search option.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

My memory is shot so I wasn't sure when the last time someone said that, and I didn't feel like reading archives.  And this forum has no search option.

I feel your pain.

20 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I feel your pain

This sounds like a serious condition, and I can not even imagine the neurological processes that would allow that phenomena

But the appropriate place for the discussion is probably the "Medication" thread

On 1/15/2022 at 10:00 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is this a way to show that while people are gossiping about Grace, none of them are close to her real secrets?

When I first read the strip, my thought was "Why are we getting more of Grace's classmates talking about her, we've already had that when Justin overheard them!". Hence the speculation about stalling for time (though Dan hasn't done that for while, and I think he has this story already pretty planned out, so I'd be surprised if that was the case).

Now that you mention it, it could be to show what else they're saying (and not saying) about her. But if it was specifically supposed to emphasize that they aren't close to figuring out her secrets, it didn't really work for me as that point didn't even occur to me.

19 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Be more tolerant of those of us who aren't time travellers, Chronos. :danshiftyeyes:

It was an honest question! I never use my time travel to get spoilers for series written by authors I trust (such as Dan).

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

It was an honest question! I never use my time travel to get spoilers for series written by authors I trust (such as Dan).

Right, why bother? If it isn't satisfactory, you can always go back and suggest an alternate ending to the author.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
14 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Right, why bother? If it isn't satisfactory, you can always go back and suggest an alternate ending to the author.

Be careful that you don't create a unstable time loop doing that!

57 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Be careful that you don't create a unstable time loop doing that!

In the long run, the unstable ones will loose out to the stable ones. My theory it that time travel is trivially easy, but the timelines that develop it will vanish, only the ones that never figure it out endure.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

In the long run, the unstable ones will loose out to the stable ones. My theory it that time travel is trivially easy, but the timelines that develop it will vanish, only the ones that never figure it out endure.

Yeah.  The proof that we don't have time travel is, well, we don't have time travel.

35 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Yeah.  The proof that we don't have time travel is, well, we don't have time travel.

The fact that there are supposedly no time travelers in our era or history could mean a few different things: It could mean time travel is not possible. It could mean that time travel to the point in time prior to the creation of the time machine is impossible. It could mean that access to time travel is extremely limited, and those who use it to travel to our era or earlier have not made any major changes (or if they have we don't realize time travel was involved in history as we know it). It could mean that history cannot be changed (and since the form history has taken to this point does not include obvious time travel, anyone who bothers to travel back to our era is unable to make waves). Or it could mean there is a multiverse (with each act of time travel to the past being the origin for a new set of timelines), and we live in one of the timelines where few if any time travelers have yet arrived.

In my personal experience the multiverse explanation is the primary one, but some universes have different rules of time travel in addition to that which provide additional reasons for the lack of apparent time travel (and of course, there are also plenty of timelines where the existence of time travel is quite obvious). Of course, I'm a fictional character, so my experience may not apply to the so-called "real world".

Unfortunately, there is a snag to the time travel theories presented so far

We, and the rest of our "reality", are the background noises of a Boltzmann Brain that believes she is a twelve year old girl in München who dreams of becoming a juggling trillionaire mime

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I forgot to mention: Dan isn't in the habit of taking suggestions from fans (other than for Pinup/Sketchbook images), I'm not the sort to try to threaten an author to write things my way, and I'm not skilled enough at manipulation to make him think it was his idea. So time-travel or not, I really am just in it for the ride with EGS. Anyway, as I said, I trust Dan to write EGS in a way I'll enjoy.

(I would have traveled back and put this in my previous post before I posted it, but just creating a new post is easier.)

25 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

We, and the rest of our "reality", are the background noises of a Boltzmann Brain that believes she is a twelve year old girl in München who dreams of becoming a juggling trillionaire mime

Unless she has multiple personalities, she isn't the only mind out there, as the mind who thought me up does not fit that description.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The interesting thing is that we have thus been put in a timeline where we not only will not discover time travel, but also where our theories of physics manage to be coherent and fairly accurate while positing that time travel is inherently impossible. If time travel were possible, then any theories that claim otherwise ought to be full of gaping holes.

53 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I thought it was a girl from North High School in Nishinomiya, Japan, who wants to meet aliens, time travelers, and espers?

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As cracked theories about reality goes, that's pretty cracked.  Now that it has been pointed out to me, I see it as The Truth. 

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

It could mean that time travel to the point in time prior to the creation of the time machine is impossible.

I believe that the world will learn that time travel is possible the moment a flood of time tourists start arriving to see the beginnings of time travel.

Can you imagine that? Let's say that time travel by humans is made possible in a lab in Switzerland at 2:29 p.m. on a Thursday in the year 20XX.  The moment the human test subject completes his short jaunt into the future, hundreds of thousands of time tourists - basically, every single time tourist who ever wanted to see the beginning moment of time travel - will try to materialize outside the lab. Some will overlap each other and lose cohesion, or befall some other horrible fate (think Jeff Goldblum in "The Fly") and die. Those who survive will have to dodge the ones who try to miss the carnage of the initial moment by travelling in a minute or two later. It will be so crowded that the ecology of the area will be trampled to death, and many tourists may die from the sheer crush of people.

Yes, time travel might be loads of fun! A great time for the whole family. :danshiftyeyes:

3 hours ago, ijuin said:
4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I thought it was a girl from North High School in Nishinomiya, Japan, who wants to meet aliens, time travelers, and espers?

Why not both?  A shared dream maybe.