• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

So, is JKR a transphobe?

Just now, Don Edwards said:

More of an equal-opportunity racist than he is usually given... um... credit?... for. He hated pretty much every ethnicity other than Anglo-Saxon. (Somewhere I once found a reference to what he said about the Danes. It wasn't pretty. Naturally I can't find it again.)

To be fair to him, Danes are, well, Danes. 1) We probably deserve a lot of crap, and 2) we don't give a shit because people who criticize us aren't Danes and so they don't count. :danshiftyeyes:

9 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
16 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just as a side note, I've read that JKR's editors stopped being real editors after she got famous.

That is a VERY common - and unfortunate - pattern. I stopped reading Mercedes Lackey's new stuff because of it. Some writers really seriously need an editor.

I would say David Weber has the same problem, except the early Honor Harrington stuff is as wordy and pretty much as long as his later books. Of course he was an established writer when he started the Honor stuff, but wasn't the "super star" that he became as the Honorverse started to expand,

In addition to the use of the unforgivable curses, one thing that really bothered me was how Harry promised to give Griphook the Sword of Griffindor in return for help getting into Gringots, and deliberately left out that he intended to keep it until he was done with it before "honoring" the deal. And then somehow Harry and the narrative acted like Griphook was the one being treacherous when Griphook grabbed the sword and ran as soon as he got them where he'd agreed to take them.

EDIT: I just double-checked the book and the end of the incident didn't go quite the way I remembered. Griphook didn't just run away, he joined up with the goblins trying to catch Harry's group, and any feeling of betrayal on Harry's part is implied rather than stated (at least in the section I read). So the scene was slightly worse than I remembered in one way, and slightly better in another.

19 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just as a side note, I've read that JKR's editors stopped being real editors after she got famous.  Which explains the size of the latter books.

12 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

That is a VERY common - and unfortunate - pattern. I stopped reading Mercedes Lackey's new stuff because of it. Some writers really seriously need an editor.

I've noticed this too with several authors, though I can't remember all of them off the top of my head. One author I noticed it with was Anne McCaffrey, though her works at least didn't get too bloated or crazy, just a little more rough-around-the-edges. Another was Akira Toriyama, leading to the jarring shifts in direction following Dragonball's Cell saga, and contributing to the Buu saga being so tedious (even for Dragonball).

Edited by ChronosCat
Research!

7 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I've noticed this too with several authors, though I can't remember all of them off the top of my head.

Almost every author that has long running and popular series has this accused of them.  Some times it's deserved, some times not so much.  And, of course, self published authors don't generally have an editor from the jump.  It shows for some.