• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Comic for Wednesday January 19, 2022

I don't think it's all that complex of a spell, but I could be wrong.  

I do like how Elliot is all "yeah, anybody else we could bring along?"  He's seen, firsthand what a griffon can do both with magically  and physically, and is properly impressed and a bit frightened by it.

Just now, mlooney said:

I do like how Elliot is all "yeah, anybody else we could bring along?"  He's seen, firsthand what a griffon can do both with magically  and physically, and is properly impressed and a bit frightened by it.

Elliot isn't an idiot. He must feel a bit like a street level superhero headed for a diplomatic meeting with temperamental representatives of the New Gods. Like, Orion and Big Barda.

45 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Elliot isn't an idiot. He must feel a bit like a street level superhero headed for a diplomatic meeting with temperamental representatives of the New Gods. Like, Orion and Big Barda.

If I had any idea who the New Gods were I might agree with you.  Given their name I can assume that they are beings of massive amount of power, but I could be wrong.  :-)

Just now, mlooney said:

If I had any idea who the New Gods were I might agree with you.  Given their name I can assume that they are beings of massive amount of power, but I could be wrong.  :-)

You largely have it. Add in that Orion has fought Superman to a standstill and has a really bad temper, and that Big Barda is a powerhouse on a level with Wonder Woman, and I think that is all the detail you need. ^_^

14 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

You largely have it. Add in that Orion has fought Superman to a standstill and has a really bad temper, and that Big Barda is a powerhouse on a level with Wonder Woman, and I think that is all the detail you need. ^_^

So, not someone that Batman can take on with out a little bit of prep time then.  Gotcha.

Just now, mlooney said:

So, not someone that Batman can take on with out a little bit of prep time then.  Gotcha.

On the other hand, Batman has already taken that prep time for every single New God plus all of them in varying combinations.

Unfortunately for Elliot, he is not really Batman caliber yet.

42 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Unfortunately for Elliot, he is not really Batman caliber yet.

Yeah, the Batman type persons in the EGS universe are Nanase and Ellen.   And they aren't there yet.  No batcave for example, never mind a batmobile.  Wonder which one is Batman and which one is Robin?

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Wolf and Cranium seem like they might be useful here, but they are apparently busy elsewhere.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, the Batman type persons in the EGS universe are Nanase and Ellen.   And they aren't there yet.  No batcave for example, never mind a batmobile.  Wonder which one is Batman and which one is Robin?

Nanase seems to take more initiative in their Scooby-Doo adventures (from what we've seen), and is also the more powerful fighter and mage, so I think she would be Batman and Ellen Robin. Of course it would need to be one of the versions of Batman and Robin where Batman treats Robin as more of a partner than an inexperienced apprentice, and isn't constantly trying to push Robin (and all of Batman's other allies in Gotham) to the sidelines.

The earlier meeting of the Griffons was problematic because they had been manipulated by an Immortal

But there really is no need for doomsday level prep when anticipating this meeting

Griffons are generally good for humans

A Griffon gave us Wheel Of Fortune & Jeopardy!

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Wolf and Cranium seem like they might be useful here, but they are apparently busy elsewhere.

Well at least Wolf is.  We still don't know about Cranium.  It's possible that she could be the 3rd person in the woods or the 4th person in the hotel.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Hopefully, no one is Robin, they tend to not last long in the role.

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So, we have Batman the first and Batman the second?  Sounds like a dynastic error.  

20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Dick Grayson was in the role for over 40 (real world) years in the comics (and grew from child to young adult along the way), and remained the default person for the role in material not canon to the comics well into this century. Tim Drake also managed to keep the role for 20 (real world) years (incidentally spanning the entirety of my period of seriously collecting superhero comics). Damian Wayne has now been in the role for over 10 (real world) years.

Admittedly, others to fill the role tend to be much more temporary (or consigned to rarely-touched-upon AUs).

Didn't Dick Grayson grow up to be Night Wing?  I'm a bit iffy on all my comic characters.  I stopped reading comic back in the 90's when the X-men were big.

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Dick Grayson was in the role for over 40 (real world) years in the comics (and grew from child to young adult along the way)

40 years after childhood he's still a young adult? He didn't SEEM a bit slow...

(Personally, I preferred Emma Peel as the sidekick - several years before I figured out why. And I think she had a nastier side-kick, too.)

11 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

(Personally, I preferred Emma Peel as the sidekick - several years before I figured out why. And I think she had a nastier side-kick, too.)

Wait.  The Avengers (not those, the other ones) are canon in ANY version of Batman? 

23 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Dick Grayson was in the role for over 40 (real world) years in the comics (and grew from child to young adult along the way), and remained the default person for the role in material not canon to the comics well into this century. Tim Drake also managed to keep the role for 20 (real world) years (incidentally spanning the entirety of my period of seriously collecting superhero comics). Damian Wayne has now been in the role for over 10 (real world) years.

Admittedly, others to fill the role tend to be much more temporary (or consigned to rarely-touched-upon AUs).

Short lived by comic standards. A comic house's mains stable superheros are essentially immortal, because the are the cash cows that generate the revenue. So, you knew when Superman 'died', Superman would be back, and it would be a mere hand wave. Death in a comic universe is at best ambiguously dead. Dick Grayson, for example became a different superhero. Robins have actually died, more and more often than most superhero names, but I don't thing they stayed dead.

Thanos killed off a bunch of Marvel superheros, but they got better. I wonder how the death of Tony Stark as Ironman is going to be handled. It is almost certainly going to be maintained as canon in the Theatrical MCU universe; OTOH, he is easily replaced by another of several Ironmans. Pepper Potts would be a good one, she is a key player in Stark Industries, and does not have Tony's health issues. The comics could branch off into one or several strains of storytelling, so might develop its own splinter canon.

Captain Marvel has come and gone several times, and there is much less nod toward continuity.

Seems like the most likely cause of more or less permanent death of a comic character is lack of reader interest, but even then, they are lurking at the edges. Lack of readership might even tank the whole publisher, but then their rights get bought up, and sometimes the character is re-rolled.

Batman is well past retirement age, and Alfred must be over one hundred years old. Didn't he serve with Bruce's father in WW I?

I'm holding out for the next Howard movie. Can't be much worse than the first, right? But, like Deadpool, the director has to have a clue what the character is about.

22 hours ago, mlooney said:

Didn't Dick Grayson grow up to be Night Wing?  I'm a bit iffy on all my comic characters.  I stopped reading comic back in the 90's when the X-men were big.

Yes

14 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Back in the 90s he was in his 20s; I'm not sure how old he's being portrayed as now. He's actually lucky to not have reverted to a kid, given there have been at least two partial reboots of the DC universe that greatly compressed the timeline (and dropped and/or rewrote a lot of events) so superheroes could once again be a fairly recent phenomena and to help justify the characters who started as adults not growing old.

I get that keeping a story set in something like the real world in sync with the real world is difficult when you only have so many installments a year to work with, and many writers and readers wouldn't like what started as set in the modern day becoming a period piece because things got out of sync (though personally I'd be fine with that). But as a fan of stories showing the progression of time, it really bugs me when writers (or executives) go out of their way to slow, stop, or reverse that progression in a story. (In fact, the feeling that I'd have to read for decades and get lucky to get the amount of change in the comics that happens in just a few years in real life is one of the reasons I stopped reading superhero comics.)