• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic Thursday January 20, 2022

NP Comic Thursday January 20, 2022

The backpack toss and catch is unreal. You can indeed throw with your legs, but generally not with fine control, not like with your arms. Seems to me that the trajectory of the backpack would have to be rather high to allow Grace time to flip upright before descending. Higher than her school's hallway? The school appears to have high ceilings so maybe not. Anyway, just strength does not allow for that catch, it requires grace as well, so I guess she's aptly named.

I have seen schools with atrium areas that were effectively three stories high, but there were often lights, fans, or objet d'art hanging from the ceiling

And as for Grace making the impossible flip and catch?  I suspect she is related to Roger Rabbit in that she can do anything, if it is funny when she does it

18 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I have seen schools with atrium areas that were effectively three stories high, but there were often lights, fans, or objet d'art ...

... kids on extended detention ...

18 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

... hanging from the ceiling.

Tough school, man!

19 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Tough school, man!

Hey, desks & chairs are expensive.

Fishing line from the rafters is cheap

If you carelessly break your chair, the intermediate school district won't have funds to replace it until the next fiscal year.  So guess what you'll be using to finish this semester

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Anyway, just strength does not allow for that catch, it requires grace as well, so I guess she's aptly named.

She's part squirrel, and anyone who has seen them make some of their jumps from tree to tree can tell you that precise  jumping is part of their skill set.  Make sense that she would be able to do jumps and catching things.  Granted I would expect her to need her antenna to be out to really be precise, but she might not the millimetre accuracy that they give her.

Just now, mlooney said:

She's part squirrel, and anyone who has seen them make some of their jumps from tree to tree can tell you that precise  jumping is part of their skill set.  Make sense that she would be able to do jumps and catching things.  Granted I would expect her to need her antenna to be out to really be precise, but she might not the millimetre accuracy that they give her.

I saw a slow motion video of a squirrel being flung from a low powered catapult trap towards a net. You could see it predict where it would land and adapt to its trajectory in mid air. It was bloody impressive. I guess that is what a few hundred thousand years of determined evolution will do for you.

16 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I saw a slow motion video of a squirrel being flung from a low powered catapult trap towards a net. You could see it predict where it would land and adapt to its trajectory in mid air. It was bloody impressive. I guess that is what a few hundred thousand years of determined evolution will do for you.

From this?

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:

So then squirrels have their own equivalent of the cat righting-reflex?

Pretty much.  Which means Grace should have that ability as well.  Not sure if it will scale to human size or not.  Not sure if the big cats always land on their feet or not.  Leopards spend a lit of time in trees so they should have something like that.

The squirrel mazes are entirely impressive, but it must be noted that as size doubles (linear distance), strength roughly goes up by 4x (area) and mass by 8x (volume), Ballpark, Grace is 10x longer, 100x stronger, and 1000x more massive.

On the other hand, being Awakened allows one to augment their physical strength with Magic. Nanase for example, has more than twice the muscle power that her musculature would imply—when she was burnt out, her strength declined significantly.

20 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Hey, desks & chairs are expensive.

Fishing line from the rafters is cheap

If you carelessly break your chair, the intermediate school district won't have funds to replace it until the next fiscal year.  So guess what you'll be using to finish this semester

You had desks? We sat on the floor! :lol:

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

You had desks? We sat on the floor! :lol:

Actually I did sit on the floor for my first year in  school.  At least I don't recall kindergarten having desks. :-)

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Actually I did sit on the floor for my first year in  school.  At least I don't recall kindergarten having desks. :-)

We did not have desks, but we had tables and chairs. I remember we used the for finger painting, and I think we had snacks on them.

4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

We did not have desks, but we had tables and chairs. I remember we used the for finger painting, and I think we had snacks on them.

I remember having a sleeping pad and sitting on the floor for being read to.  I suspect that there was a table for doing "art" on, but I don't really remember one. 

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I remember having a sleeping pad and sitting on the floor for being read to.  I suspect that there was a table for doing "art" on, but I don't really remember one. 

Yes to both. We were required to take a short nap. Also, recess was often marching around in a circle. We only had half a school day of kindergarden.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yes to both. We were required to take a short nap. Also, recess was often marching around in a circle. We only had half a school day of kindergarden.

I don't recall kindergarten as having a recess as such.  Started having them in the 1st grade of course. Kindergarten was half day for me as well.

42 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I don't recall kindergarten as having a recess as such.  Started having them in the 1st grade of course. Kindergarten was half day for me as well.

They may not have called it recess. We did do things in a circle outside quite a bit. If I recall correctly, they did not require much skill.

I did nursery school, which would be K-4 now. It was informal, in a lady's house. I don't know how long I went. I walked there and home at 4 years old, maybe a quarter mile. I don't see parents trusting the neighborhood to that degree today. All I recall was the kids were not fun, did not know how to share, the lady did not maintain control, and every day we would do a brief organized activity. I remember doing the Hokey Pokey there. Hmm, I do not recall walking in snow, so mom must have decided to send me in the spring of my 4th year. I would come home and turn on the TV and watch American Bandstand until cartoons came on.

Kindergarten was half a day for me as well. My memory of it is a little vague (I haven't thought much about it in years) but I'm sure we had chairs and either desks or tables (I remember finding depictions in fiction of kids sitting on the floor in school a bit odd the first time I encountered them). We also must have had recesses where we could do whatever we liked outside, as I don't remember recesses in primary school feeling novel compared to kindergarten.