• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic Saturday January 29, 2022

NP Comic Saturday January 29, 2022

Hmm. I don't see the point of this comic; what did it really tell me that I didn't know? Seriously, what is the point?

Grace displays false modesty in the last panel, and calls it 'polite'. In the commentary, Dan explains, "Some cultures do this". If we take Moperville to be a US city, in another universe, yet generally reflective of the US in our world, Grace has basically just been weird again.

The jock makes no sense. By middle school, we rarely had mixed gym classes, and then only for a specific purpose. I do not recall a mixed class in high school at all. Even if they did, he was not nearby earlier. How did he happen to overhear? Even if you grant all of that, his reaction in the last panel is just wrong. He would scoff. Period. Maybe challenge Grace. But he would not jerk back incredulously. Especially if he knows of her and thinks she's weird.

We have rarely seen his body type in the comic, and never in the school. Even Elliot's, Nanase's, and Justin's muscles aren't that bulky. We rarely see people in the school who are that tall, either, which is actually a bit strange; there should be some.

I interpreted him by as being incredulous that Grace would not be boastful—he was expecting her either to rise to his challenge or back down, rather than giving an answer that amounts to “It doesn’t really matter to me whether I can beat you or not”.

Fearless prediction. Next Tuesday we get a strip where Grace spikes a ball so hard it either explodes on contact with the floor or punches a hole in the floor.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Hmm. I don't see the point of this comic; what did it really tell me that I didn't know? Seriously, what is the point?

Presumably it's setting up a mini-arc about the "rivalry" between them (my guess is we'll have a week or two of comics involving a ball-spiking competition).

Grace displays false modesty in the last panel, and calls it 'polite'. In the commentary, Dan explains, "Some cultures do this". If we take Moperville to be a US city, in another universe, yet generally reflective of the US in our world, Grace has basically just been weird again.

I'm guessing it's a result of her watching too much anime while not having entirely absorbed her local culture.

The jock makes no sense. By middle school, we rarely had mixed gym classes, and then only for a specific purpose. I do not recall a mixed class in high school at all. Even if they did, he was not nearby earlier. How did he happen to overhear? Even if you grant all of that, his reaction in the last panel is just wrong. He would scoff. Period. Maybe challenge Grace. But he would not jerk back incredulously. Especially if he knows of her and thinks she's weird.

My gym classes were of mixed gender (though the actual sports teams outside gym were divided into boys and girls) through middle school. As I mentioned recently, I was home-schooled for high-school, so I don't know how the high school I would have otherwise gone to did things.

As for the jock, at first I assumed he was so sure of himself and so dismissive of a small not-obviously-muscular girl who wasn't known for her athletics that he just expected her to back down. Thinking on it further, I could see him also being prepared for someone who thought they had something to prove, and like ijuin said, it was the fact the she didn't think it was a big deal she might be able to beat him that surprised him.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Fearless prediction. Next Tuesday we get a strip where Grace spikes a ball so hard it either explodes on contact with the floor or punches a hole in the floor.

Grace also has a telekinesis ability, so could make the ball take a U-turn or skew sideways. Not sure if she would view 'using what she has' as cheating.

9 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Grace also has a telekinesis ability, so could make the ball take a U-turn or skew sideways. Not sure if she would view 'using what she has' as cheating.

That, while amusing, would not show her straighten at spiking balls.

26 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Spike the hair?

Spike the ball?

Spike the punch?

Where does it end?

Spike, the beagle, Snoopy's brother, who lives with coyotes in the desert?

On 1/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Spike the hair?

Spike the ball?

Spike the punch?

Where does it end?

My experience playing video games suggests it ends by falling in a pit filled with spikes.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

My experience playing video games suggests it ends by falling in a pit filled with spikes.

Can't go wrong with the classics.  Of course I'm thinking in more of table top gaming.  10ft pit trap, 1d6 falling damage 2d6 piercing damage, make save to avoid 2d6 poison damage.