• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Comic for Friday, Feb 4, 2022

Supposedly Grace would read as an Awakened Mage of some sort to most magic-sensing methods, though she has already told Kevin that she is a hybrid of Earthly and “alien” species.

Since Kevin was created by Arthur, then it is reasonable to assume that his ability to analyze both potential and practicing magic users is based upon Arthur’s knowledge at the time of Kevin’s creation. Kevin may thus be aware of Uryuoms and several other somewhat exotic bits of magical lore. He might also be capable of detecting that Tedd is an active Seer, via comparison to Arthur himself.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

He might also be capable of detecting that Tedd is an active Seer, via comparison to Arthur himself.

He may know that Tedd is in some way similar to Arthur, but not have the concept of "Seer." Arthur thought himself to be simply a wizard with a quirk, when he create Kevin.

From panel one, it appears that he goes dormant, and activates, although it is not clear at all what is causing the transitions.

For an AI, he has some interesting character flaws. He is quite judgemental, even about things outside his core expertise in panel two. He is quite egotistical, even allowing himself to be (unintentionally) manipulated by Sarah, which seems really odd for an AI. Despite the dormancy he seems to be aware of the passage of time, but seems to have no sense that others might have their own priorities; zero empathy. His insistence on sticking to the name 'Mittens' suggests that he is unaware that he is not the center of the universe. Which in a way makes sense, I suspect his personal model of the universe is small enough that he might be. 

He's kind of an @$$#073, like that teacher you hated, but who still managed to teach you something.

I wonder if his lessons include any sense of moral discernment. Would he, in the hands of Jay, merely enable her, but offer no real guidance?

Physically, he's a nicely painted stick. He might look good on stage in the hands of a stage magician. A stick in a tux. Woo hoo!

If you snap him in two, would you have two Kevins? Maybe they don't need to clone him, maybe just a table saw ...

'Pass' - does Kevin give grades? Is 'pass' recorded anywhere? Does it confer some actual status? Might this have some weight in future plot?

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Here is

We need to see how Kevin responds to an awakened magic user, vs a "dreaming" one like Sarah is.

He does not say that she is dreaming vs awakened magic user, he says she's not a wizard; not capable of seeing and acquiring spells.

45 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

'Pass' - does Kevin give grades? Is 'pass' recorded anywhere? Does it confer some actual status? Might this have some weight in future plot?

The Dan has updated this to "Graduated", due to misunderstanding of what "You Passed" meant.  Doesn't change your point, but it does indicate that Kevin doesn't think he needs to work with Tedd.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

The Dan has updated this to "Graduated", due to misunderstanding of what "You Passed" meant.  Doesn't change your point, but it does indicate that Kevin doesn't think he needs to work with Tedd.

Wow, he actually changed it in the comic.

I'm glad of the clarification; there was some ambiguity. So "Accepted!" with regard to Sarah means "I agree to take you on as a student." Kevin will do, I suppose, as a substitute for the temporarily unavailable Pandora. Should be interesting, hilarious even, if she shows up and disagrees with Kevin's teaching style.

It would be hysterical if the cast refuses to take Kevin seriously. Tedd mixes cake batter using Kevin. He's left on the porch and birds perch on him. Dan uses him to mix paint. Kind of like how Marvin got treated.

32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Is there a better way to start a day than by having an almost inanimate object that knows almost nothing pass judgement on you for which there is no appeal?

... one whose distaff counterpart is a knot hole (nicely painted, though).

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

... one whose distaff counterpart is a knot hole (nicely painted, though).

Hmm, I don't get the reference.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

So, in other words, "You have no need of my teachings".

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

From panel one, it appears that he goes dormant, and activates, although it is not clear at all what is causing the transitions.

For an AI, he has some interesting character flaws. He is quite judgemental, even about things outside his core expertise in panel two. He is quite egotistical, even allowing himself to be (unintentionally) manipulated by Sarah, which seems really odd for an AI. Despite the dormancy he seems to be aware of the passage of time, but seems to have no sense that others might have their own priorities; zero empathy. His insistence on sticking to the name 'Mittens' suggests that he is unaware that he is not the center of the universe. Which in a way makes sense, I suspect his personal model of the universe is small enough that he might be.

I think that his whole mindset revolves around his main task of training novice Wizards. Anything that has no bearing on magical training is completely irrelevant to his thinking.

17 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

He may know that Tedd is in some way similar to Arthur, but not have the concept of "Seer." Arthur thought himself to be simply a wizard with a quirk, when he create Kevin.

He may not know what a Seer is, but he can sense "You share some unique aspects with Father (Arthur) that I have seen in nobody else".

56 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, I don't get the reference.

It isn't a reference. It's more like a "Yo Momma ...".

58 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I think that his whole mindset revolves around his main task of training novice Wizards. Anything that has no bearing on magical training is completely irrelevant to his thinking.

Indeed, yet he has traits that are not conducive to fulfilling that role. Wouldn't a measure of tact accomplish his ends better?

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Indeed, yet he has traits that are not conducive to fulfilling that role. Wouldn't a measure of tact accomplish his ends better?

I was about to blame his "father," but Arthur never intended Kevin to be sentient. His intelligence and personality are emergent properties. He's effectively a newborn, there's no reason for him to be anything but an infant, emotionally. It will be interesting to see if Kevin is capable of learning how to play nice.