• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Things that go bang

OK, proof that the US military is weird.  In WWII there as crotch armor (for air gunners I suspect).  What's weird is there was at least 4 versions based on the "E4" part of the nomenclature

chapter11figure331_8206.jpg

8 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Then they stopped horsing around? Tanks, guys.

Other than their recon squadron, the were all converted to infantry.  Had their own TO&E that sorta reflected their cavalry past, but in general they were just an oversize infantry division. 

Meh, except for extremely rugged terrain, motorcycles have supplanted horses for single-person mobility at faster than foot speed. Hmm, now that makes me want to see what a unit of Motorcycle Cavalry would be like.

The Germans had motorcycle battalions during WWII which acted as sorta a combination of mechanized infantry and recon troops.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

So, you want a light weight technical, but all you have is a militarized trike.  No problem.
IMG_5957.jpg

Looks lethal. The enemy will die laughing.

There are rumors that Russia is deploying T14 to Ukraine.  Going to be embarrassing when one gets taken out by a Javelin.  Most people don't think that their active protection system works against top attacks.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

There are rumors that Russia is deploying T14 to Ukraine.  Going to be embarrassing when one gets taken out by a Javelin.  Most people don't think that their active protection system works against top attacks.

Wiki article on the T-14 Armata (Armata is the platform, T-14 is the tank built on it.)

Looks like a serious threat. reactive armor, including on top, and active defense; claim it can hit a Javelin. It would acquire the shooter when shot at and could return fire with the secondaries. Not shabby.

For us, an A-10 or the new ones could likely take these out, Ukraine may not have good options. This is where your 'steal this tank' kicks in.

16 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Wiki article on the T-14 Armata (Armata is the platform, T-14 is the tank built on it.)

Most intelligence sources say that they only have 12-15 of them.  That's half a company.  Even if they are God's Own Tank (and they have issues with being that) a half company isn't going to be all that effective.  They can be mission killed by a hit by a KE round to the unmanned turret.  Most analyst don't think it's got all that good of armor, at least not good enough to stop a modern APDUFSDS round  I would link to what the US army thinks about it (in a non classified environment) but the ODIN's equipment database seems to be down.

Well, then he would have to deal with a hood, on fire, of molten plastic.  While slightly less bad than having his back cooked by the blast, it's Not Good.