• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Things that go bang

31 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The home brew weapon used in the assassination was accurate enough to not hit people standing near Abe. The crazy miscreant has some mad fabrication skills.

The spread of shot on shot guns, even home made ones, isn't as wide as people seem to thing it is.  They had normal length barrels so it's likely that the shot pattern was only 6-9 inches wide at the point it hit Abe.   

59 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The spread of shot on shot guns, even home made ones, isn't as wide as people seem to thing it is.  They had normal length barrels so it's likely that the shot pattern was only 6-9 inches wide at the point it hit Abe.   

The gun in the picture you posted in the Political Discussion thread did not look like it would have normal length barrels, albeit not terribly short. The nine barrel one looks short as well. Keeping multiple barrels aligned is a trick as well, so still impressive. How close was the shooter?

38 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The gun in the picture you posted in the Political Discussion thread did not look like it would have normal length barrels, albeit not terribly short. The nine barrel one looks short as well. Keeping multiple barrels aligned is a trick as well, so still impressive. How close was the shooter?

About 9 meters, or at least that's what I've read.

37 minutes ago, mlooney said:

About 9 meters, or at least that's what I've read.

About thirty feet, that's pretty close up; I can believe minimal spread.

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

He had all the right features to stand out from the herd. He's got leadership out the wazoo (which is admittedly not where you want it, but still)

Why not? Leadership by buttholes is an ancient tradition. It’s even got a name: Proctocracy.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Not only that, but it gets horrible gas mileage, and this one does not appear to be accurately marked. And it's on a street, but it's not street legal. Plus it's blocking the road. The driver really needs to be cited for that.

It lacks visible number plates, tail lights, and turn signals, so it’s definitely not street legal. On the other hand, if you are driving one of these into combat, then civil traffic regulations are the least of your concerns.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

Why not? Leadership by buttholes is an ancient tradition. It’s even got a name: Proctocracy.

It lacks visible number plates, tail lights, and turn signals, so it’s definitely not street legal. On the other hand, if you are driving one of these into combat, then civil traffic regulations are the least of your concerns.

I was amused to see a British tank with an "L" learners tag on it.  Of course most modern British tanks can be made road legal, if they have rubber pads on their tracks (vs steel pads).  I know that The Tank Museum has some "privately owned" tanks drive around during Tank-Fest. 

Crocs . . . boots? I can understand that someone might want boots with a ventilated toe box, but that heel strap is totally superfluous except for brand image purposes.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

If head butting a helmet dents it, it might not be all that good of a combat helmet, just saying

https://vxtwitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1563628411255496704

I'm not sure which is more illuminating, the crappiness of the helmet, or the Ukrainian recreational activity that demonstrated it. You really want to be fighting a war against these people, Vladimir?

What?  Headbutting protective gear isn't normal?  Back in the day, select members of my fire control platoon would headbutt wall lockers, bathroom stalls and some radar equipment when it was malfunctioning. 

22 hours ago, mlooney said:

What?  Headbutting protective gear isn't normal?  Back in the day, select members of my fire control platoon would headbutt wall lockers, bathroom stalls and some radar equipment when it was malfunctioning. 

Headbutting is fine for folks that are not using it for anything else.

It's easier to get complete and more or less accurate data about Russian, North Korean and Chinese military vehicles than it is to get data on Japanese vehicles.     They seem too have classified a lot of things that other countries don't.  Meh.  Not that important, it's not like modern Japan is going to get into a war any time soon.