• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Comic for Saturday, Mar 19, 2022

No doubt about it

If Grace can be that that excited about an "Adequate" outcome, she has the right psychology for middle management or government work

. . . . 

Either that, or her expectations start unrealistically high 

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No doubt about it

If Grace can be that that excited about an "Adequate" outcome, she has the right psychology for middle management or government work

. . . . 

Either that, or her expectations start unrealistically high 

That is so true. To really qualify for a top position, you have to accept that the difference between really great and really crappy outcomes is often a question of spin. If you are still concerned with figuring yourself out, you are still in the middle of the herd.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I think that Grace has heard the expression "The perfect is the enemy of the good" and has taken it to heart.  An adequate solution on time is better than a perfect one too late.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There are matters where only perfection will suffice, and times when good enough is really good enough

It is not always apparent what is needed or desireable

Also very true. You do not want a neurosurgeon who is 'adequate'.

... these things tend to become apparent, after the fact.

There are fields, however, such as politician, where 'not even adequate' seems to be good enough. Or Supreme Leader, apparently.

6 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So I should seek out an inadequate neurosurgeon?

Yes, that sounds like a plan. "Oddly, he had few negative Yelp reviews from former customers."

33 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You do not want a neurosurgeon who is 'adequate'.

The level of "adequate" need for a given career varies.  For example, you don't need a Nobel prize winning doctor.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

The level of "adequate" need for a given career varies.  For example, you don't need a Nobel prize winning doctor.

Probably not. If he got a Nobel prize, he's involved with research, and you are likely more of a guinea pig than a patient.

19 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Probably not. If he got a Nobel prize, he's involved with research, and you are likely more of a guinea pig than a patient.

Also true.

On 3/20/2022 at 8:27 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There are matters where only perfection will suffice, and times when good enough is really good enough

There aren't many circumstances where 100% perfection is possible to achieve. Also, if "good enough" isn't good enough, can you really call it "good enough"?

On 3/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

There are fields, however, such as politician, where 'not even adequate' seems to be good enough. Or Supreme Leader, apparently.

People who achieve power through means other than inheriting it are always at least "good enough" (often "very good") at acquiring power. It's just that there's no guarantee they have any other qualifications for whatever position they reach.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

There aren't many circumstances where 100% perfection is possible to achieve. Also, if "good enough" isn't good enough, can you really call it "good enough"?

People who achieve power through means other than inheriting it are always at least "good enough" (often "very good") at acquiring power. It's just that there's no guarantee they have any other qualifications for whatever position they reach.

That is true. Or as the song says, "You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them" - some people, after their rise to power, seem to lack the sense that got them there.

That, alas, is the trap of being above reproach—if nobody can tell you when you are wrong, then you start to believe that you are never wrong.