• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Comic for Tuesday, Mar 22, 2022

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

Oh, joy.  Another series of video game based comics.  Well, hopefully this will be brief.

Well, the "story" title is "Assorted 2022 A", and in the commentary Dan said he decided to do this joke as a standalone comic rather than as part of an Elden Ring inspired story. So maybe we'll be lucky and the majority of this collection of assorted comics won't be full of jokes we don't get.

(Incidentally, it feels weird to me to be hoping Dan doesn't do many video-game inspired comics, as I really like video games. The problem is, there is very little overlap between the video games I play and the ones Dan plays.)

Unless The Dan starts playing Eve Online and writing comics about it, I'm going to miss most of the jokes of a video game comic.  And even in the case of Eve, I've quit playing it so even that will be iffy as I understand that they have made some major changes to game play in the last year.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

(Incidentally, it feels weird to me to be hoping Dan doesn't do many video-game inspired comics, as I really like video games. The problem is, there is very little overlap between the video games I play and the ones Dan plays.)

I agree. There is a such a plethora of games, the odds of hitting the same ones are slim.

53 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Unless The Dan starts playing Eve Online and writing comics about it, I'm going to miss most of the jokes of a video game comic.  And even in the case of Eve, I've quit playing it so even that will be iffy as I understand that they have made some major changes to game play in the last year.

Right, I've played a few to excess, sampled others, and am only casually aware of many. For some of Dan's game comics, I can read between the lines, but yeah, it's not a particularly  fertile field.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

My video game familiarity includes Minesweeper, Pacman, Pong & Solitaire

Oh, there's a new one called Space War! you should try.

I mostly play video games that originally came out on the NES or SNES, are part of series that had installments on those systems, or are in the style of games I'm already a fan of. (This is partially because whenever I get into a franchise I like to be as thorough as I can in my consumption of media related to it, and partially because renting games isn't really an option these days and I'm not going to spend $60 or more on a game that I don't have very good reasons to think I'll like.) My tastes include platformers, Zelda-style "adventure" games, Metroidvainias, and old-school JRPGS.

Thinking on things further, there are a number of games Dan and I have both played, and series we've both played installments of. For instance, he did parodies of the Legend of Zelda and Pokemon series, and even did one about Grace playing Chrono Trigger (my favorite game). He's also mentioned the Mario series and Smash Bros.

However, with the exception of Pokemon (which I have only played the earliest installments of), I get the impression he doesn't play those sorts of games much these days. He certainly has a lot more to say about Fallout, Skyrim, and other games I've never played and probably never will, than about the games we've both played.

I enjoyed Pokemon, but not enough to catch even more. The EGS comics about it could have come from the early Red and Blue games.

I play mostly Civ and Moo style games, and now also idle games that I can set up strategy, and they play themselves while I work or sleep. I guess it's kind of like botting, but definitely of a sanctioned sort. I played WoW to excess for many years.