• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP comic for Thursday March 24, 2022

(As I said on Twitter) I've always thought competition was the main point of sports (trophy optional), and all the rest were bonuses and/or justification to make it sound good to those who don't care about competition.

I've never been one for organized sports, but when I do play it's always about the game, not the rewards.  This may explain why I like Eve Online.  As a player it's not really possible to "win eve".  Even the big corporation wars don't have a "in game" reward.

I'm actually not super interested in competition myself (I'm particularly not interested in competing). But when I look at most sports, it looks to me like they're designed around determining who's "the best" at the skills required for the sport (obviously in team sports it's "which team is best" rather than "which person is best", but the point remains). This is actually a big part of why I'm not interested in participating in sports, and have only a minor interest in watching them.

I do occasionally play multi-player video games where the players compete against one another, but only against friends/family, and only as an excuse to play those games together. Obviously the same thing can be done with sports, but an informal game between friends/family is very different from sports in school (which is the context where I usually hear most of the justifications mentioned in this comic) let alone professional sports.