• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Comic for Tuesday, Apr 12, 2022

So are we getting EGS Stick Figure?

I might be able to help with that

As for reader reaction to no more rants?

You are at a Hee Haw tribute concert, but they tell you first the regional assistant secretary of agriculture will explain how the adjusted transportation budget will affect education spending, only to have the lights come up on weird al & mannheim steamroller performing the novelty songs of wwii

Such a bait-and switch is also reminiscent of the opening segment of episodes of Saturday Night Live, where they play the scene straight and then at the end of the scene they shout “Live from New York, it’s Saturday Night!”

On 4/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, ChronosCat said:

This is far from the first time Dan has hung out with the main characters in non-canon land.

Yes, but this time it is not presented as anomalous. It is not inserted, Dan doesn't change form. It's just a conversation.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:57 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You are at a Hee Haw tribute concert, ...

Mind already boggled at THAT concept  ...

Is Hee Haw still replayed in syndication? I saw a lot of it, because my dad loved it. It was both brilliant and cringe worthy, generally at the same time. Enormous talent, wasted on schlocky repetitive skits. Roy Clark stands out, he was good on the show. In real life, he was talented beyond belief, his show persona was barely a shadow of what he could accomplish.

It was trying to ride the coat tails of Laugh - In, as a country hick version, but the individuals on the show had a bigger investment in their personal talents. I am torn between "I never would have seen many of these people at all if not for this show" and "How could they waste them on so much corn ball?".

Barbie Benton was cute behind the fence. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the most covered up she'd been in media at that point.

49 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Is Hee Haw still replayed in syndication?

I've seen it recently on broadcast TV, so apparently yes. It was mildly amusing, but I was a little dissappointed (though not surprised) to find I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did as a child.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I saw a lot of it, because my dad loved it

I saw a lot of it, first run I think, back in the day.  Also a lot of Lawrence Welk.  Lots of Lawrence Welk.  My mother and her parents loved that show.

14 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I saw a lot of it, first run I think, back in the day.  Also a lot of Lawrence Welk.  Lots of Lawrence Welk.  My mother and her parents loved that show.

OMG, Soooooooo much Lawrence Welk. Understandable, our folks had the Big Band Era, so, of course, they watched Lawrence Welk, the tail of the fading away dog. To my generation Lawrence Welk was a bastion of a passe' era, 'square' in the vernacular of that time.

His band was not bad. They were not bleeding edge for their kind of music, that day was past, but they could Lawrence Welkerize pop songs like nobody's business. (I saw a comedian spoof this is the 70s or 80s, and he was right, Lawrence Welk could make any song his. Demonstrated by the comedian with 'Aqualung', but it could have easily been Lawrence's band.)

His people were quite talented, if not to my generation's tastes. Few of my friends aspired to be great accordion players. (I had one friend that did, and Weird Al does well with his.) ((Also, we're talking about the large-ish bellows instrument, more common in the US than the many smaller bellows instruments.)) (((Was it The Who who said, "Momma Has A Squeeze Box"?)))

He must have done something right. His show ran forever, even into syndication after he passed away.

His show was basically elevator music with words.

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

They played Hee Haw on a local station regularly back in the 80s, which is when I watched it. According to Wikipedia, new episodes were still being produced for syndication at that time, which is presumably what I saw.

As for Lawrence Welk, my grandparents used to watch it regularly. I never really watched it with them, but I often heard it on in the background when I was visiting them or they were visiting my family.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

He must have done something right. His show ran forever, even into syndication after he passed away.

For as long as I can remember, and to this day, the local PBS station has been playing Lawrence Welk at 5 PM on Saturdays. Every once in a while when I'm missing my grandparents on a Saturday, I'll take the time to watch a little bit of it.